IGNORED

What Are Your Favorite PlayStation 2 Games?

Here's some more games, not necessarily great,, but I had fun playing:

Winback: Covert Ops

Extermination

Shadow of Destiny

Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero

Echo Night: Beyond

Oh, I forgot Dog's Life. Got totally enamored with this game. Close 2nd for all-time favorite PS2 game.

Oh man, Shadow of Destiny- that was the second game I bought for my PS2, just to use up the rest of my savings for buying it. I had a lot of fun with that... although it was a bit dull knowing 'whodunit' for everything but the first playthrough. Plus, a share a name with one of the characters, so that turned into a running gag with my friends.

Here's some more games, not necessarily great,, but I had fun playing:

Winback: Covert Ops

Extermination

Shadow of Destiny

Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero

Echo Night: Beyond

Oh, I forgot Dog's Life. Got totally enamored with this game. Close 2nd for all-time favorite PS2 game.

What a terrific list! I had to look up all of these because I didn't know anything about the games, but it was worth it. This shows how large the PS2 library truly was and how many hidden gems (or whatever you want to call it) the console had. Again, great list.

The only one I still have is Dog's Life :)

The eerie thing about Extermination is that its story took place in winter of 2003, sometime AFTER its release...& that's when I played through it.

& in Tokyo XR0, I had tuned such a great car with awesome specs, I was easily beating anybody I raced. But when I got rid of the game, I deleted the save (& my car). Really kinda regretting that, in case I ever get the game again.

Some of my favorites:

-Devil May Cry (just a ton of fun)

-Timesplitters (lots of fun with 4 people)

-Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 (I like the car selection better than Zero)

-Gran Turismo 4 (still looks decent even today)

-Katamari Damacy (so weird, but so addictive!)

-Capcom vs SNK 2 (great roster of fighters and awesome control)

-Final Fantasy X (good story, good characters, and 1st big RPG I played on the system)

-all 3 GTA games (because mindless fun!)

-Auto Modellista (short, but had a ton of fun here playing and outfitting my garage)

-ESPN NFL 2K5 (best modern football game!)

-MLB Power Pros (old school controls and JRPG elements in a baseball game? Yup!)

-The Taito Legends games (both are fantastic and packed with great games)

-Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (lots of people crap on this one, but I had a ton of fun with it, I really liked the combat system and the story)

-Dark Cloud (fun and addictive early Action RPG/dungeon crawler)

-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (easy to pick up and play dungeon hack and slash game, loved this one)

I want to go play PS2 now! It's such a great system. There are so many more games for it that absolutely rule too.

• Like 2

Some of my favorites:

-Devil May Cry (just a ton of fun)

-Timesplitters (lots of fun with 4 people)

-The Taito Legends games (both are fantastic and packed with great games)

-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (easy to pick up and play dungeon hack and slash game, loved this one)

I want to go play PS2 now! It's such a great system. There are so many more games for it that absolutely rule too.

Forgot about TimeSplitters & Dark Alliance. i got TS on Launch Day 10/26/00. Waitied in line at Best Buy & got the next to last PS2, #95 out of 96. Also got X-Squad & the Saitek DVD remote.

I have both Taito collections too. When I see them or the Midway Arcade collections sitting on used game store shelves, I get sad that they're forgotten & not in someone's collection. Really good compilations!

• Like 1

Oh yeah, Rune: Viking Warlord wasnt bad.

Crap, cant believe I got this far w/o mentioning Everblue 2, a fantastic unique diving sim.

The 2 Endless Ocean Wii games are its spiritual successors.

Edited by RJ

Forgot about TimeSplitters & Dark Alliance. i got TS on Launch Day 10/26/00. Waitied in line at Best Buy & got the next to last PS2, #95 out of 96. Also got X-Squad & the Saitek DVD remote.

I have both Taito collections too. When I see them or the Midway Arcade collections sitting on used game store shelves, I get sad that they're forgotten & not in someone's collection. Really good compilations!

My 1st PS2 game was also TimeSplitters! Back when they released the PS2, they were perpetually sold out from before Xmas until around March. I remember going to all sorts of places for months trying to find one. Finally, I found one at a CompUSA, snagged it, and ran over to Gamestop to buy TimeSplitters and a 4 player adapter. Good times.

Many have named some of my favorites already...

You indicated that you didn't play Persona 4 yet. If it is at all to your tastes get it. You can still find it $25 sealed. I would actually back up and get Persona 3 FES... that is reasonability priced sealed as well.

I liked Star Ocean and Dragon Warrior 8. Both are easy to find and are not expensive.

Now I also spend a crap load of hours on the Xenosaga games. Xenosaga 2 is the weakest game of the bunch. The third chapter had a low print run, but don't pay more than $40 for it used.

There are so many arcade complications... more than you can shake a stick at. Most are inexpensive.

You can get all of the Metal Slug games on one disc if that appeals. A bit more expensive than the more common Wii version, but worth it for the standard controls.

Suikoden 3 is another good one. A little more pricey. Expect to pay around $30-$35 or so.

Valkyrie Profile 2, Suikoden 5, and Tales of the Abyss are still on my pile of shame. They are good from what I hear, but I guess the latter two are getting kind of expensive.

It's still a decent time to pick up things that you may have missed if there is a retro store near you.

Many have named some of my favorites already...

You indicated that you didn't play Persona 4 yet. If it is at all to your tastes get it. You can still find it $25 sealed. I would actually back up and get Persona 3 FES... that is reasonability priced sealed as well.

I liked Star Ocean and Dragon Warrior 8. Both are easy to find and are not expensive.

Now I also spend a crap load of hours on the Xenosaga games. Xenosaga 2 is the weakest game of the bunch. The third chapter had a low print run, but don't pay more than $40 for it used.

There are so many arcade complications... more than you can shake a stick at. Most are inexpensive.

You can get all of the Metal Slug games on one disc if that appeals. A bit more expensive than the more common Wii version, but worth it for the standard controls.

Suikoden 3 is another good one. A little more pricey. Expect to pay around $30-$35 or so.

Valkyrie Profile 2, Suikoden 5, and Tales of the Abyss are still on my pile of shame. They are good from what I hear, but I guess the latter two are getting kind of expensive.

It's still a decent time to pick up things that you may have missed if there is a retro store near you.

Cyberclon,

I don't have Persona 4, but I do have Persona 3 Portable on the PSP. I've always wanted to play the Star Ocean games, but I never got around to it, though I have played Dragon Quest VIII and loved it.

About the Xenosaga games, I have both the first and second chapters on my shelf, but I could never find Xenosaga 3 (I've never even seen that game on a GameStop back in the day.) Since you played all of them, do you think it's worth playing the first two games and watch the videos online? Or read the plot on Wikia or something? I know it's not the same, but I gave up on getting a copy a long time ago.

Cyberclon,

I don't have Persona 4, but I do have Persona 3 Portable on the PSP. I've always wanted to play the Star Ocean games, but I never got around to it, though I have played Dragon Quest VIII and loved it.

About the Xenosaga games, I have both the first and second chapters on my shelf, but I could never find Xenosaga 3 (I've never even seen that game on a GameStop back in the day.) Since you played all of them, do you think it's worth playing the first two games and watch the videos online? Or read the plot on Wikia or something? I know it's not the same, but I gave up on getting a copy a long time ago.

If you can find the third copy, then yes, I would start from the beginning. My criticism was too many cut scenes over all for all three games, but that is a common complaint. If I remember correctly, once you have finish one game, there is a final save file you can load up for the next game, but I don't remember how that changed things. I haven't played these games since they were out in the day, so my memory on specifics is fuzzy.

Just be prepared for a drop off for the second game.

As for finding the third, it looks like $100-$120 sealed. Those are amazon/flea bay prices. You can find it used for much less if you are patient and wait for a deal.

Favorite PS2 title for me is Shin Megami Tensai - Persona 4. Hands down.

Other titles I enjoyed were Rogue Galaxy and Steambot Chronicles.

I have Shadows of Destiny. It wasn't a bad adventure game.

The Suikoden games were fun. Great for people who like collecting stuff in games.

Anyone a fan of the Shadow Hearts games? (Not to be confused with Kingdom Hearts)

As for finding the third, it looks like $100-$120 sealed. Those are amazon/flea bay prices. You can find it used for much less if you are patient and wait for a deal.

I still regret not picking up a copy at gamestop a few years ago. They had it for like 25 bucks. I have the first two, but frankly, never got past the first one. Long winded and JRPGS are so annoying with the GRINDING.

Anyone a fan of the Shadow Hearts games? (Not to be confused with Kingdom Hearts)

The Shadow Hearts games are great- I still need to play the third one.

I remember playing a bit of the first one with a friend. They put up the release date for the sequel, but I didn't want to have the second and not the first. Then gamestop announced the pre-order bonus... buy Shadow Hearts 2, get Shadow Hearts 1 for free. I jumped on that! :)

• Like 1

The Shadow Hearts games are great- I still need to play the third one.

I remember playing a bit of the first one with a friend. They put up the release date for the sequel, but I didn't want to have the second and not the first. Then gamestop announced the pre-order bonus... buy Shadow Hearts 2, get Shadow Hearts 1 for free. I jumped on that! :)

I only have 2 and 3. I have been debating picking up the PS1 game that started the series.

I only have 2 and 3. I have been debating picking up the PS1 game that started the series.

The first one leans a little more horror than the other 2 (which start to drift to the surreal a bit)- if that floats your boat, go for it! (It's also interesting to me, that the bad ending is the 'offical' one!)

The first one leans a little more horror than the other 2 (which start to drift to the surreal a bit)- if that floats your boat, go for it! (It's also interesting to me, that the bad ending is the 'offical' one!)

Sounds interesting actually. Only in Japan... or from Bioware? Taste the rainbow.

But seriously, the Shadow Hearts series was just plain fun. I mean, it was a bit odd, but engaging. A lot of JRPGS are just boring grind fests.

I also really like the Fatal Frame series. I loved the first one and that type of game is hardly my normal fare.

Contra Shattered Soldier

Fatal Frame

Final Fantasy X

Gauntlet Dark Legacy

Guitar Hero II - this one in particular is magical for some reason.

Klonoa 2

Marvel Vs Capcom 2

Mega Man X8

Mortal Kombat (i forget which one, one was really awesome)

the PS2 is home to many great compilations, too:

Activision Anthology

intellivision Lives

Mega Man Anniversary Collection

Mega Man X Collection

Midway Arcade Treasures 1 & 2 (i guess 3 too if you want a disc full of racing games)

Namco Museum

Sonic Mega Collection Plus

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection

Taito Legends

This is right in the zone where they are kinda hard to remember now but here are some that are right up there at the top for me. I'm just naming the series and not the individual games.

God of War

Guitar Hero (and kinda Rock Band)

X-Men Legends

Katamari

EA NCAA Football

FIFA

Lego Star Wars

Karaoke Revolution

DDR

Ratchet and Clank

The classic compilations were/are nice, and I also really liked the EA James Bond games "Everything or Nothing" and "From Russia with Love."

As an early release pick, I very much enjoyed Rayman 2. That one really felt like a next gen game to me at the time. Shadow of Destiny (another early game) however just did not click with me - I finished on a rental and stayed away from everything that looked like it from that point forward.

My wife went to Walmart yesterday and called me to tell me they had a bin full of cheap games. As she was going through it on the phone, she was like, "Hey, there's a Playstation 2 game in here!" It was The King of Fighters XI. I told her to snag it! It was a budget title when released, but whatever. I like the KoF series, so this was a welcome, and random, addition to my collection.

I also thought of a few more of my favorites:

Neo Contra

Project: Snowblind

Dual Hearts

Gun

Alien Hominid

Burnout 3: Takedown

DOA2: Hardcore

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution

Grandia II

Showdown: Legends of Wrestling III

WRC: World Rally Championship

Some of my favorites were the Tony Hawk Pro Skater series, Test Drive series, etc.. Can't remember what else I played, it's been a while and all the ps2 games I used to have got stolen.

The Tony Hawk games have always been fun.

I have a collection of around 100 games with mix of RPGS and action games. I tend to gravitate to quirky titles.

Anyone else a fan of the Dark Cloud games?

The Tony Hawk games have always been fun.

I have a collection of around 100 games with mix of RPGS and action games. I tend to gravitate to quirky titles.

Anyone else a fan of the Dark Cloud games?

I like the Dark Cloud games, especially #2. I recently purchased the PS4 version when there was a sale (I don't know what to call these games... HD remakes, buffed up games playing in an emulator with some recoding on the side....).