IGNORED

SVD floppy disk emulator

ti99iuc

puh, very expensive. I don´t think that it "does more" than the Lotharek´s HxC-drive,

because this depends on your floppy-controller, not on your floppy-drive

maybe you can check what this means:

soon.gifdownloading individual files - downloading individual BASIC programs or command files

maybe you SHOULD check if this is OK now:

x.gifdouble sided - this will be supported with the SVD II to be release late 2005

I think someone here has an SVD connected to the TI, but based on the hardware, it cannot support Double-sided yet (not enough memory, as it supports DD, and the available memory is reserved for that purpose). It doesn't look like he ever finished the updated device, although as he did post as recently as 2014 on his site, it might make sense to contact him and try to jumpstart that effort if we want to get the DSDD version made. Looking at the board/parts he uses now, this has one advantage over the HxC--it is a very easy build.

I do think we'll probably get something much more suitable to use on the TI once ckoba finishes the design on his card though, as that would do all of the same things this does while being compatible with all of the existing TI disk images. We'd have that a lot faster too. . .

• Like 3

I found this auction in ebay:

attachicon.gif2016-03-03_104752.png

Seems rather ugly and clunky compared to an HxC, but then again that appears to be an older device, I don't think the first models of the HxC were all that pretty either..

225 USD? Wow! :) Quite expensive compared to the HxC. Can it do anything more or better?

Yeah, no kidding! Caveat emptor.

From what I've read it does not do anything more or better, in fact that thing does less. The HxC will emulate up to two DSDD/80 track drives at once the TI (depending on your FDC) for up to 1.4 meg available at one time.

Looking at the board/parts he uses now, this has one advantage over the HxC--it is a very easy build.

I do think we'll probably get something much more suitable to use on the TI once ckoba finishes the design on his card though, as that would do all of the same things this does while being compatible with all of the existing TI disk images. We'd have that a lot faster too. . .

It may be easier to build, but the HxC comes pre-built and ready to Plug-N-Play.

Yep, I'm keeping my eyes open to see what he comes up with, he's got his work cut out for him.

• Like 2

I have one of these which I bought for my TI.

As Ksarul states, the device only has 256K of RAM, so can support 2x90K or 1x180K disks, but not DS/DD 360K disks. The device can be set up to respond to DSK1, DSK2 or DSK3.

It uses a RS232 interface, over which an GUI allows you to download disk images. From memory it supports v9t9 and TIDisk format files as well as various formats for TRS80, Apple II and others.

I used this with my CorComp 9900 some years back to transfer files from a PC to the TI, copying files from the virtual disk to a real 3.5 floppy. But it was a slow process, and the SVD has a tendandcy to lock up periodically.

I don't own an HxC, but it sounds like a much simpler device to use.

• Like 2