IGNORED

Few Issues?

Got a used genesis off ebay for 20 bucks and free shipping. Works great but few issues. Don't have a av cord or coax cord. Using the original nintendo nes cord and grey small rectangle rf box to get a picture. A little fuzzy but works. Anyhow thought it was dead. No supply would work. My insignia does not work despite having the right tip. But my powerline universal adapter from walmart 1300mah works. Its right angle so its not snug and a little flimsy but it works.

But I have to slide the power switch all the way left and sometimes wiggle it before it works. And sometimes it says licensed by sega etc... and then it goes blank. Nothing else. I have to blow in the cartridge or slot to get it work. I only bought the one batman game from ebay. So no other way to test. Anyhow after blowing it says licensed and all that and then shows the blue sega logo and boots the game. Not sure why it gets stuck sometimes and does not load.

Also have not tried the fighter sticks yet. But my official 3 button genny pad works. Starts the game. But I have a 3 button quickshot that does not work. Tootk it apart and looks clean. But does not work. I though it was my masterplay or atari or something. But even in a real genesis it does not work. The dpad works. But the 3 red buttons and blue start button does nothing. Not sure why.

And seems there is no way to pause. Is it game specific. Or was there never any pause for genesis in general.

So let me help out in 2 spots here. I am guessing you got a model 1 Genny but without seeing the pictures I am not sure. It has a sliding power switch though which is what you described. The licensed by Sega deal is showing this is a TMSS revised model it does not actually affect performance minus some sound differences but the video should be cleaner.

You might want to take an alcohol pad and clean out the cart slot or use an envelope to make sure the contacts are good.

for power you will want one of the ones below for stats don't over do it else it could damage the system.

INPUT: 120V AC 60Hz 15W

OUTPUT: 9V - 1.0 Amp

or

INPUT: 120V 60Hz 35W

OUTPUT: 9V - 1.2 Amp (1602-1: 10V - 1.2 Amp)

The pause button is the start button on the Genesis controller and not all games were coded with this option but most should work.But be careful of 6 button games which use start to shift from ABC to XYZ so no pause there unless you get a six button controller

Not sure of the Quickshot if anything did rattle inside it might have loose pieces about.

But I have to slide the power switch all the way left and sometimes wiggle it before it works. And sometimes it says licensed by sega etc... and then it goes blank. Nothing else. I have to blow in the cartridge or slot to get it work. I only bought the one batman game from ebay. So no other way to test. Anyhow after blowing it says licensed and all that and then shows the blue sega logo and boots the game. Not sure why it gets stuck sometimes and does not load.

And seems there is no way to pause. Is it game specific. Or was there never any pause for genesis in general.

Edited by Professor Gull

Hmm weird it could be the Genesis port check for any pins that might be pushed back farther than the others. I would take it apart for the power switch as well and see if the button switch for on off might need some filler to make it slide smoother just watch the red power light when you pull it apart.

If you can get one of these its better than RF

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-V-Cable-Cord-NEW-Sega-Genesis-1-AV-Audio-Video-5-pin-MK-1601-1601-/251453434576?hash=item3a8bcaead0:g:aLYAAOSwGotWnswu

You can also do output stereo with a mini to left right cord. something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ft-3-5mm-Mini-Plug-to-2-RCA-Male-Stereo-Audio-Cable-/361433527734?hash=item54271df5b6:g:fyUAAOSwEgVWT5bx

Good luck with the Genny those things are pretty resilient so they can take lots of punishment.

And nothing rattling inside the quickshot just does not work. Also my fighter sticks 1 does not work. Everything works on the 6 button except the start button. Its dead. Works with my masterplay clone and atari 5200 but does not on genesis. And the 3 button works.

Some weird shit is going on. It arrived today no issues. Super fast shipping. Oddly both are working now no issues. Don't know why the savers (thrift store similar to goodwill) controller was acting up before. But now both work. I also got a few cheap games from disc replay. And I got a good shape Soinc 2 (cart onyl) from ebay for 3 dollars and 49 cents. it says not for resale on it not sure why. Maybe it was a pack in for later models. Anyhow the batman game I have works with all the controllers I have except the 6 button stick from ebay. The start button does not work. I took it apart and cleaned it but no luck. But in Sonic 2 the start button works how weird. And he jumps with a button. So buttons are good. But the sonic charecter only goes back all the way to the left of the screen. And he does not go right. Only left. So I must of broke something when opening it up, right. Well no it all works so its all good. I tried it on a 2600 JR with jungle hunt (after the vines in the lake I can test all diections) and pacman. Not the best visuals but I can test all directions. So it works and is not broken. But on the genesis is does not work. But its not broken nor is my genesis so how weird.

Never mind I figured it out and all is good now. The power switch is still wiggly but the controllers work. I cleaned the inside with compresses air. And the controller ports. Also blew out a few crumbs from inside. So little I hardly noticed. I tried the 6 button fight stick and all buttons works now and all directions and the start even. Well top 3 buttons don't work but only because sonic does not use them. But all is good now so thanks.

I don't have any of that on me. But its no big deal. The rest was my main concern. At least its not busted. And also cart slot might need good cleaning. But the main system is good. Not bad for 20 including shipping.

Good deal indeed. Be glad you did not get a slathering of cockroaches or their poo when you opened it. I had that experience once so I do sniff tests now before I even buy a console. Game on in your case though enjoy it.