IGNORED

A good resource for a DOS Virgin?

This is a bit embarrassing, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good resource on DOS for beginners? There are a few game's I'd like to try via DOS BOX, and while I've been able to get some to run, I'm feeling rather clueless with how DOS works. When I learned the computer in school, DOS was already dead so I feel completely out of my element. Thanks!

There is a book called "DOS for Dummies." I would recommend that.

I was working in a bookstore when the "for Dummies" series came out and was hitting it's stride.

I remember getting weird looks from people when I would recommend them (especially the tech ones), but I would reassure them that they were great books, even for technically adept people.

Just pretty well put together.. ;-)

That said, I can't remember if they cover the stuff you'd really need for getting DOS games to work.

Loading drivers into himem, XMS, EMS, etc.. It's all rusty, but I'd guess it's in there...

Also, if you are working with a later DOS (6.2 ish???), there was the command... um.. "memmaker" (is that it? something like that)???

It would do a pretty good job of the initial setup usually...

I do remember that I used to have fun running that command.

Then trying to do the loads and stuff manually to try to "beat it" to get more free memory for the game.. ;-) (Yeah, I know, it's sad, but.. ) ;-)

Hey, didn't MetalJesus used to do this for a living working for Sierra support? Maybe he can set up a side business doing it again for people working with Retro DOS games!!!! ;-) :-)

desiv

Edited by desiv
  • Like 1