IGNORED

RS232 and CRU

Vorticon

Hi. I'd like to add a second RS232 card to my PEB. My first one lives at CRU>1300 and my IDE card at >1500. Is it correct that the second RS232 needs to be at >1500? Also how do I know the CRU address of all my cards (I have a Sid Master, a Rave speech, a SAMS and a p-code (the latter is irrelevant given that it takes over the system when on).

... Is it correct that the second RS232 needs to be at >1500? ...

I don't know that it “needs” to be there; but AFAIK, both the TI and CorComp cards only provide those two options with a jumper. It may be possible to use another CRU address; but, that would likely require some cutting and soldering. :grin:

...lee

Hi. I'd like to add a second RS232 card to my PEB. My first one lives at CRU>1300 and my IDE card at >1500. Is it correct that the second RS232 needs to be at >1500? Also how do I know the CRU address of all my cards (I have a Sid Master, a Rave speech, a SAMS and a p-code (the latter is irrelevant given that it takes over the system when on).

Use the program called DU2K (Disk Utilities 2000)

The first selection is for DISPLAY AVAILABLE DEVICES press it...

On the second screen you'll want to press the option "for DSR headers"

I'm not sure you can change the TI's RS-232 to anything other than >1300 or >1500 with just the resistor placement. Someone like Tursi will have to give you an answer on that. I suspect it's possible with a re-programmed chip, but that's just a guess on my part.

Here is what the display looks like on my system:

gallery_35324_1027_38176.jpg

Here is what Thierry says here:

As you can see, the DSRs are written to take into account the possibility of a second interface card installed in the PE-Box. A resistor on the second card is used to change its CRU address from >1300 to >1500 (although the software will work with any pair of CRU addresses). When only one card is installed, it answers to the first set of DSRs, no matter what its CRU is. When two cards are present, the one with the highest CRU address answers to the second set of DSRs.

...lee

• Like 1

One question for my config: Is COM3/COM4 (=2nd RS232-card) supported by Stuart´s browser ?

schmitzi, on 14 Mar 2016 - 4:04 PM, said:

One question for my config: Is COM3/COM4 (=2nd RS232-card) supported by Stuart´s browser ?

It supports:

• The serial port on a NanoPEB (at CRU address >1300).
  • The 1st serial port on the 1st (or only) RS-232 card in a PEB (at CRU address >1300).
  • The 1st serial port on the 2nd RS-232 card in a PEB (at CRU address >1500).

You need to use a different menu option/program name to suit the serial port you're using. See my website for details.

• Like 1

I should mention an observation I made on my own system: when using an HDX-modified RS232 card with the optional interrupt switch so it can also be used as a regular RS232, it always locks up my system when the switch is on and there is another card at CRU >1500 (IDE card in my case). This problem went away when I moved my IDE card to >1900. Not clear as to why the HDX card is not happy with the usual CRU >1300...

• Like 1