IGNORED

I like high thrift prices

jsoper

Saw the other thread and thought I'd play Devil's Advocate :)

$5 or more for a 2600 game in a thrift sounds just fine to me. You know why? Because it helps screen out people who would buy it just to resell.

How many times have you passed up something in a thrift but notice it's gone when you return a couple days later? There's a lot of turnover going on. Do you know how many times you missed out on something because someone bought it to stick on ebay right before you came? Of course not, none of us do.

What if you saw a guy buying a semi-rare 2600 game for $1 in a thrift because he got there first, and this made you hungry for the game so you checked ebay, saw it listed with the sellers picture, and IT'S THE SAME GUY.

I'm not taking sides, but how would that make you feel personally?

The problem josper my friend is now that same guy buys that $1 cart for $5 and now, instead of selling it for $6 on ebay, he sells it for $10.

You make a good point, but like I mentioned in the other thread (and in another provious) I went to a thrift where the scumbag wanted $5 bucks for ASTEROIDS!!!! and told me he got more than than selling them on Ebay.

If someone beat me to a $1 deal for a semi-rare cart of course I'd be pissed, but that's the way the mop flops! My bad for getting there 2nd.

I know what you mean though, those kind of jerks are ruining the fun of collecting, much like how people will stand in line 4-5X to get a pro athletes autograph, only to sell it to a sports memorabilia store (then bitch when athletes start charing for their autographs)

What if you saw a guy buying a semi-rare 2600 game for $1 in a thrift because he got there first, and this made you hungry for the game so you checked ebay, saw it listed with the sellers picture, and IT'S THE SAME GUY. I'm not taking sides, but how would that make you feel personally?

I know what you mean though, those kind of jerks are ruining the fun of collecting

Hmm.... well, if you wish to preserve the fine art of collecting, why not tell the management of the store the TRUE value of that semi-rare or rare cart when you see it. That way:

[*] You stop the "jerks" from making a profit.

[*] The thrift store (which many are Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc that do VERY nice things for people) gets more profits to help the community.

[*] You sleep better at night knowing that you've helped humanity AND put an end to dreaded American Capitalism!

:D :D

Mendon

Yes, I agree on some items being priced higher. I know of a few things I wouldn't have been able to get if it was not for the higher price. I picked up a camera that was going on ebay for $20.00 and picked it up for $15.00 to add to my collection. I noticed several people looking over it and putting it down when they saw the price. Ofcourse, normally I would have to wait until pay day. That is not good when it is a week away. They you return and cry you heart out when the item is gone.

@ landsmarra...believe it or not, yes, those people are overpaying on the Goodwill auctions just to try and get more for them on eBay.

I've seen the same person get several lots of Atari consoles...and then I've seen the same lot on eBay a few days later!!!

You'd think they'd stop since they never make as much as they spent...but sure enough, they keep trying.

I have noticed in the last couple of months, that prices are coming down just a bit over there. Not much.

You gotta haggle. I've always been able to talk down prices. I even once educated a thrift store owner on what she had that was worth a buck or two each, and what she could legitimately ask more for.

Ya gotta realize most thrift owners don't know what they have, what Atari stuff is worth and not worth. Before eBay was a household word, it was easier. Now, people see the ridiculous and uninformed bidding on eBay, and think they can base their prices on that. They can't.

Check out this auction I found at that Goodwill site. They don't seem to know they are ALL Atari 2600 games. Check it out: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=551791

It is ok if someone gets to a semi-rare cartridge before I do. I just wait till they get to the parking lot and mug them :D

Ok..in all seriousness.. I really hate how some of these shops are now basing their prices on what they think it will sell on Ebay. I can understand that like any company that they need to make a profit to stay in business but come on..use some common sense.

Common cartridges should never go over $3 ever. $5 for Asteriods? I think he might have been playing Asteriods too much and still thinks it is 1980.

Archived