IGNORED

Call me a cynic, but can a ca. 2000 PC BIOS refuse network cards?

IMG_20160318_054442.jpg

After a quick google my conclusion was "BIOS doesn't want me using this NIC" (apparently some HP computers do only allow certain NICs and refuse to allow others to be used), or am I being too cynical?

If anyone wonders why I even bothered to post this, I'm planning to use this as a slightly-too-new retrocomputer, running PC DOS 7.

• Like 1

its just conflicting with a onboard doohicky, try disabling everything you dont use (like serial ports or floppy controllers etc) it was actually a bit of a pain in the ass when motherboards came with everything including the kitchen sink on it hogging up almost all traditional resources without a single card installed

• 3 weeks later...

if finding a jumper is difficult, you will love a machine full of them

Reminds me when I dug into my Commodore SL 80286. The machine had 4 sticks of RAM installed... So that count for the 1Mo I saw at boot, right?

Well NO!

According to the manual, the 1Mo of RAM were built in, and there was a jumper to switch the RAM connectors on. I move the jumper, and at boot... OMG, 5Mo of RAM!

That computer had spent 20 years with 4/5 of his RAM unused.

The power of jumpers, everybody.

• Like 3

Reminds me when I dug into my Commodore SL 80286. The machine had 4 sticks of RAM installed... So that count for the 1Mo I saw at boot, right?

Well NO!

According to the manual, the 1Mo of RAM were built in, and there was a jumper to switch the RAM connectors on. I move the jumper, and at boot... OMG, 5Mo of RAM!

That computer had spent 20 years with 4/5 of his RAM unused.

The power of jumpers, everybody.

If you think that's impressive, I met a computer whose entire branding would change if you moved a jumper, from Texas Instruments to Acer. I also met a Dell Optiplex that could change its model number and the Speed of the CPU from a jumper. Amazing stuff.

• Like 1

...disabled everything until I think I accidentally disabled the VGA. I can't find the CMOS battery in this cramped thing :(

ROTFL .... you have to admit that back in the days not only were the games brutal but the HW they ran on matched.

Any tiny little mistake and you'd lose a life ... almost literally.

Wrong BIOS setting? Bye bye video.

Wrong jumper? Zap BIOS.

Wrong cabling? ..... somebody ordered a new motherboard here?

• Like 1