IGNORED

Flash ROM Cart

ralphb

I would like to know when the next OSHpark order for v2 boards is going to happen. I would like to go in with you and get a couple boards. Also I'd like to know if the parts list changed. I believe I downloaded it when it was posted last time. I am going to try my hand at building my own this time. But I would like the purple boards. :-)

Darryl

I'm guilty of making purple rev 1 boards, but I just made the minimum OSHPark batch of 3. I also exported the gerbers following some OSHPark instructions, but I see they actually take the KiCad pcb file directly as documented here: http://docs.oshpark.com/design-tools/kicad/ <- I didn't know that at the time.

I don't have any plans to run any more pcboards. I only ran some for my own use.

-M@

I Ralph approves it, you could also make the board project at OshPark publicly visible, which would allow others to order the purple boards. Doing it that way is more expensive than buying from a larger board order, but the purple ones do look soooooo nice. . .

• Like 1

Sure, go ahead, but please update the project to use board revision 2!

Done.

permalink: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/SJstICiA

Listed as: endlos99-flashrom99-rev2-TI-99

This board was designed by Ralph Benzinger.

The cartridge allows playing ROM images stored on an SD card on an unexpanded TI 99/4A, and so much more with an expanded TI.

For complete details see the homepage

-M@

• Like 4

Sorry to hear that.

Your SD seems to work just fine. If that were the issue you'd get the Red Blinking of Death (or whatever your color of LED is).

The first thing to do is try the Bank Test: attachicon.gifbanktest.bin

Then we'll see from there. (My first guess is that you're using bad images -- see here for a collection of good ones.)

Thanks, I'll try this out! The images I'm using are from the TI Gamebase from TI Game Shelf. I'm wondering if part of the reason I'm having issues is that I haven't expanded my TI-99's memory (yet—the parts will be shipped out next week). A few games have worked for me, but most haven't. Does it take 32K to run games like Pac-Man, Ms Pac-Man, Dig-Dug, and Donkey Kong?

Thanks, I'll try this out! The images I'm using are from the TI Gamebase from TI Game Shelf. I'm wondering if part of the reason I'm having issues is that I haven't expanded my TI-99's memory (yet—the parts will be shipped out next week). A few games have worked for me, but most haven't. Does it take 32K to run games like Pac-Man, Ms Pac-Man, Dig-Dug, and Donkey Kong?

You want the images from here then:

http://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/joined/

Most of those will run on an unexpanded system, just like the original cartridges from Atari and others. Unzip those files onto your sdcard, and you should have a large menu of mostly games..

-M@

• Like 1

Those worked! Thanks so much!

Yep, you run into two types of ROM images in this community. Legacy ones, which are inverted (8K segments start with highest 8K all the way down to the lowest 8K - i.e. DCBA), and the regular non inverted ones, which have become more a standard, because they're easier to work with (i.e. ABCD). The flash cart only works with non inverted ones. A few different ways to handle... download the non inverted ones that someone already flipped, run a non invert program (it's in this forum somewhere), or get a hex editor handy and start with the last 8K bank and start pasting to a new file, working backward. :)

• Like 1

I have considered putting rubber feet on the bottom of mine as I figured they would give it more support for pressing the reset button as well lessen the load on the port.

I'm just using the bottom-half of a standard TI case until Ksarul is ready to release his case based on the Romox case. It seems to work fine.

post-35324-0-98047700-1465862322_thumb.jpg

post-35324-0-65945200-1465862326_thumb.jpg

post-35324-0-11707200-1465862330_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Just got round to solder in the parts I ordered from Mouser to the board - and it works!! The memory routine checked out okay, once I removed the firehose extension cable from the mix - the board doesn't like it. This piece of hardware is REVOLUTIONARY for the TI world! Thanks again Ralph.

IMG_2258.JPG

A closer look at the cart reveals my amateur soldering skills - I didn't check the alignment of the SD card adapter when I was soldering the pins. De-soldering it looks tricky as the pins are so close together. Any words of advice from the pros?

IMG_2259.JPG

Now, how do get TI Invaders, Parsec, Titanium & Road Hunter on the SD card? ;-)

• Like 3

Just got round to solder in the parts I ordered from Mouser to the board - and it works!! The memory routine checked out okay, once I removed the firehose extension cable from the mix - the board doesn't like it. This piece of hardware is REVOLUTIONARY for the TI world! Thanks again Ralph.

IMG_2258.JPG

A closer look at the cart reveals my amateur soldering skills - I didn't check the alignment of the SD card adapter when I was soldering the pins. De-soldering it looks tricky as the pins are so close together. Any words of advice from the pros?

IMG_2259.JPG

go to ftp.whtech.com/cartridges/joined and unzip those two files onto your sdcard.. boot wait for light then hit any key and pick the selection and you should get a list of everything

I finally built my 3rd yesterday using the full size SDCard SPI adapter, and it struck me as tough to get the SPI adapter to feel like it was level/parallel to the cartridge board. The solder tips from my pushbutton might not have been even. In the end I settled for fairly square against the headers and their spacer.

Your board doesn't look bad from the photo. If you really want to desolder, you'd probably need to work with solder-braid. It works a bit like a sponge for solder. But all in all, if cases are made for these, I think they will have to include some variability in the window for the SDCard.

Road Hunter is too big for a 32k ROM image.

-M@

• Like 2

go to ftp.whtech.com/cartridges/joined and unzip those two files onto your sdcard.. boot wait for light then hit any key and pick the selection and you should get a list of everything

I don't think those files have been converted yet. From the looks of his menu, he's found those zip files already.