IGNORED

Formatting 720K disks in Windows 7

atrax27407

I have been using PC TRANSFER for years to move downloads from my PC to my TI. I would format the 3.5" disks that I use on my XP machine by clicking on START, then RUN, and entering "cmd" and <ENTER> in the box that appeared. A pseudo-DOS window appeared and I would type in FORMAT A:/T:80/N:9 and follow the prompts for a 720k disk that PC TRANSFER would handle (despite what its docs stated). When my XP machine died, I thought I would have to make some other arrangements. I decided to ask the "brain trust" - Jon Guidry (Arcadiel) and Greg McGill (Arcadeshopper) for their ideas. Both came up with solutions but neither of them worked but they did point me in the right direction.

The easiest method is to click START, enter "cmd" in the search box and search. The first entry found (under programs) is the familiar black pseudo-DOS icon. Double click it and it will open. Then, type in FORMAT A:/T:80/N:9 and you are all set to go. Follow the prompts as with XP. Jon came up with another method from Microsoft but I think mine is easier to remember. Of course. you do need a 3.5" floppy connected to your PC and at least one 3.5" drive on your TI and the PC TRANSFER program.

The technique should work with Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 but I don't have those operating systems to test it with.