IGNORED

Atari 8Bit Question

Recently I found a copy of H.E.R.O for atari 8Bit computer and since it was only for $1 and I knew what game it was I decided to purchase it without owning an 8Bit machine. I have always wanted to purchase an old 8Bit computer and this just gave me more reason to. I have read the newbie topic pinned to the top of the post and did not find all of the information I was looking for. Again I do not own one of these machines but am interested in purchasing one. I am trying to decide between the 800XL, 65XE, or the XEGS I would prefer the XEGS because I would not have to buy an adapter to run composite cables, but since it seems to be much harder to purchase cheaply I most likely will not get one. I want whatever system I get to be compatable with the XE game cartridges. I was wondering if anyone could let me know if the 800XL, and the 65XE are compatible with the XEGS cartridges? also would an original 800 be worth my time to pick up?

• Like 1

The top loading cartridge slot on the 800XL might be a plus if you plan to play a lot of carts. I agree that the 130XE is a nice choice, especially if pairing with a disk drive or other mass storage to take advantage of advanced games, demos and such.

Good luck finding a deal on a 130XE. Prices seem sky high to me these days. Maybe I'm just being cheap.. :D

The top loading cartridge slot on the 800XL might be a plus if you plan to play a lot of carts. I agree that the 130XE is a nice choice, especially if pairing with a disk drive or other mass storage to take advantage of advanced games, demos and such.

Good luck finding a deal on a 130XE. Prices seem sky high to me these days. Maybe I'm just being cheap.. :D

Ha, yeah that is my main problem I am a bit cheap and I think that the others would suit me just fine. I am just a little nostalgic for the XEGS I saw one complete in the box at a Goodwill when I was a kid but my Grandma didn't wanna spend $25 on it................... Man I wish I had my own money back then lol.

• Like 1

Define deal.

I think you can get a nice 130XE for right around the $100-$125 range but that's just the system and connections with maybe a controller. Outfitted with a disk drive and other accessories will drive it up substantially rather quickly. It's worth it though!

The original 800 seems to be the pricey one.

Sky high? They're a lot cheaper than when they first came out and the money is worth a lot more now!

True. I think they originally retailed for around $300usd. I'm remembering the times I have seen 130XE used for under $100usd, back in the 90s. I'm also somewhat concerned with build quality of the XE as the years add up. 800XL is in my opinion, a bit more robust.

Altirra ie emulation, all the Atari models rolled in to one, almost perfect accuracy and TONS of software free to play....The cheap and reliable option...

If its a must for real hardware then an 800XL as they are the most frequent model sold hence the cheapest and will play pretty much anything you might be after...

• Like 1

I have had all the Atari models. For overall goodness, I recommend the 800XL. Easy to upgrade, looks good, good keyboard, lots of parts available. I love my XEGS. I actually like the large pastel buttons that everyone hates. The external keyboard is nice as well. I am currently enjoying my 1200XL that I picked up 25 years ago at a thrift shop for $35. Either way, once bitten, it is hard to go back.

You can find an 800xl or 130xe for under $100 on ebay most of the time. The other night I saw 6 different 800's for under $100 as well, but the shipping on those can get outa hand.

Personally I would go with an 800xl, its more reliable than a 130xe and the keyboard is better, also the case is fairly roomy if you ever want to throw in some mods.

Don't forget the Atari 600XL!

A PAL 600XL as sold in EU or UK may in fact be the perfect Atari8 computer after getting the two chip internal 64kb upgrade. It has a small footprint, no more than a desktop pc keyboard for the whole thing. It can be stuffed in a back pack with room to spare. Maybe not the best choice for internal boards like the Ultimate 1mb. The trouble with NTSC USA models is a lack of monitor output. There is a kit to add a monitor port to US models, but it involves removing the rf modulator and drilling the correct hole in the case. If you stay with the stock configuration, you're stuck with a televison set as your display. I still love the 600XL though..it's my favorite, the first Atari computer I ever owned in fact!

Edited by RodLightning

Best Electronics sells new 600XLs for $99.95. http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/800xl.htm

All you need to make it equivalent to an 800XL is 2 4464 RAM chips (cheap), and 3 short pieces of fine wire (even cheaper). Then it's ready for a U1Meg. :)

What about monitor output? Can a VBXE be installed into a 600XL? If so, that would negate the need for a native monitor jack.