IGNORED

Attract Mode or Self Running Favorites - Survey

StephenJ

I posted a similar question in the 2600 area and got some excellent responses. So, I thought I'd do the same here...

Sometimes I like to let my retro gear run attract modes or computer-vs-computer games while I work on projects or whatever around the house.

Please consider replying with some of your favorites.

Thanks,

StephenJ

"...Personally i just leave demos running..."

That's what meant when I said "...Sometimes I like to let my retro gear run attract-modes...while I work on projects or whatever around the house".

I was asking for folks to reply with some of their favorite attract-modes (or demos if you prefer).

That's what meant when I said "...Sometimes I like to let my retro gear run attract-modes...while I work on projects or whatever around the house".

I was asking for folks to reply with some of their favorite attract-modes (or demos if you prefer).

And i wasn't talking about attract modes. There's 18,000 plus C64 demos on the SD card in my Turbo Chameleon right now, so picking favourites isn't easy... but okay, some random titles that have been running recently:

Uncensored, Edge Of Disgrace, Royal Arte and Time Machine by Booze Design.

Abortion or Eldorado (the first part with the AFLI logo swing and scroller is currently running) by Origo Dreamline.

The Wonderland series from Censor Design.

Onder, Dawnfall, Parts and the Comalight series from Oxyron.

Fantasmolytic by Censor and Oxyron.

Pretty much anything from Crest, but let's say the Krestage series, Don't Meet Crest and i have a soft spot for Ice Cream Castle too.

Then there's Coma Job, Krestyron or Deus Ex Machina from Crest and Oxyron.

Problem Child - He Knows Me or the Graveyard Blues series from Topaz Beerline.

Rocketry, Revolution and Irrational by Chorus.

That lot are all available to download from the C64 Scene Database along with bucketloads more from Scoop, Fairlight, Triad, Finnish Gold, Onslaught, Noice, Offence... the list goes on for ages.

• Like 1

There's a nice easter egg in Ultima 1, I can't remember if it is present in C64 or not but if you let the demo run, every 4th times you get knight sprite moving around at title screen. And at every 4th easter egg screen (total of 16 title screen), you get a car going into castle!

• In the Apple version of Ultima I's 1986 re-release, programmer John Miles included a routine whereby waiting for the title screen's animated sequence to loop a number of times causes two alternate events to occur. With every fourth repeat of the sequence, an armoured knight rides along the medieval landscape's horizon; however, every fourth time this knight is scheduled to appear (i.e. after sixteen loops), a red Lamborghini is instead shown approaching the depicted castle and entering through its open door. Each of these animations can also be manually triggered when the small white Origin logo is shown against the landscape: pressing Control+K causes the knight to appear, while pressing Control+Shift+P on the Apple version or Control+Shift+2 on the Apple IIe introduces the Lamborghini. It is possible to perform each command in quick succession to display both the rider and sports car simultaneously.