IGNORED

8-bit computers on modern TVs

Bikerbob

Hello everyone.

New around here.

Loving the topics about video upgrades for the 8-bit line. Very interested in at least modding the onboard video of my 800xl and adding a UAV to my 400 (If I can fix my keyboard.. grrrr)

Question becomes... how to use this on a modern lightweight LCD monitor.

I know many have said they like the CRT for nostalgia, which is cool, and if I had an 1902 or 1702 etc.. I would use it. I don't.

Here in S. Ontario Canada we are on a real green electronics kick.. everything is being pitched in the bin... Finding old monitors is hard.

I have this one right now.

Insignia™ - 19" Class (18-1/2" Diag.) - LED - 720p - HDTV - Black
  • Model: NS-19E310NA15

Which out of the box on my 400 using RF.. is pretty good.. it displays it correctly without hassle.. and I am very happy.

This monitor/TV is 3 years old now. IT has Composite - Component - and HDMI

Almost all current TVs here in Canada now ONLY HAVE HDMI - NO composite and not even Component anymore.. and finding something with S-video is HARD!!!

What do people suggest?? just keep looking for something older?? IS there a way to upscale this that works??

What are other people doing?

James

Hi James and welcome.

I use a couple of Dell monitors that are great for this sort of thing. The Dell 2007FP and Dell 2001FP both have composite and svideo inputs in addition to standard analog vga and dvi ports. I like the 2007FP better because it has a standard ac power cable. The older 2001FP uses an external supply similar to what you would see charging a laptop.

Both of these have 20.1 inch screens.

I use a set of amplified pc speakers for sound. Neither monitor has internal speakers.

post-15209-0-38495400-1459101546_thumb.jpg

Hi James and welcome.

I use a couple of Dell monitors that are great for this sort of thing. The Dell 2007FP and Dell 2001FP both have composite and svideo inputs in addition to standard analog vga and dvi ports. I like the 2007FP better because it has a standard ac power cable. The older 2001FP uses an external supply similar to what you would see charging a laptop.

Both of these have 20.1 inch screens.

I use a set of amplified pc speakers for sound. Neither monitor has internal speakers.

attachicon.gifDell2007fp.jpg

Very nice? I will do some googling.. :)

I have found some local used monitors /TVs a generation older than the one I have that still has S-video.. But I guess my point is.. in the next few years.. its going to be hard to find stuff for our 8-bits.. SO.. dont listen to your wife and pitch out your old stuff!!! ;)

Ha! I guess the fact that I still consider LCD monitors made in 2007 to be modern....time does seem to fly by.

The video converters in ACML's thread above look pretty cool, especially for someone like me on a budget. A higher dollar option is to get a Framemeister.

https://solarisjapan.com/products/xrgb-mini-framemeister-compact-up-scaler-unit

As has been discussed elsewhere, display lag is a concern with analog to digital conversion and video games. CRTs will always have the advantage there.

• Like 1