IGNORED

Am I alone?

The Historian

I met one in my area a few years ago. He had an entire room full of various old game systems.

And I just found out that Cafeman is also in my area, though I've never met him. This week I'll be meeting his game, though! (That's Koffi for the 5200.)

I was wondering how many of you out there know more than one other collector in your area?

As for myself I know of about four other collectors here and have only met two others, face to face.

I can think of at least several in my area, one I know personally who also posts to these boards. :D

The only other collector in my area that I know from AtariAge(but not in person) is Xot.

Other than that, I haven't met any other collectors but I heard from Xot that there is another guy who collects old Atari stuff around here. I wonder who. Collector X?

There is a reason, I’ve asked. I recently acquired a very good “Atari” related domain name and was thinking of making it a place to find other collectors in a given area. And to offer support for those who want to make a group in their area.

At some point I could expand it to provide collectors an easy way to catalog their collections. A nice “wizard” based system. From there it would be a simple thing to allow it to be exported to Excel.

Things to think about…

I only know of the guys who run the vintage everything stores here..many of them are also collectors and tend to snag the good stuff as it gets laid on the counter during trade ins...so most people never see them. they have told me that they have received at least 3 chase the chuckwagons alone from people bringing in their stuff over the past 2 years.

I wouldn't mind except they really have a nice thing going for them...because they only pay or give credit of like .10 cents per 2600 cart and about $5 on the systems and everything. They then just put that .10 cents into the register and Bam!...instant game for them they didn't have before for ultra low pricing.

They then turn around and put all the stuff they don't want on the floor with a .99 cent price...or sometimes higher depending on the game. They do use a PC in the back and search Ebay all day for pricing many of their items...luckily..they don't for the 2600 most of the time.

There have to be others in the area as well since I will see things that are in demand by most get snatched within minutes of me looking at it.

In a city the size of Chicago, there have GOT to be a lot, but I seem to have great finds (for me) often enough to make me happy. Of course Sean Kelly lives not too far from me (I've been to his house to see his staggering collection), but I think that he's "retired" from the thrift store scene, otherwise none of us would have a chance. :)

There's someone on here that has a Cubs avatar, but I guess that's hardly conclusive :)

I know of about 6 other collectors of various classic video games in my city. Cincinoyti (Tony) and my good friend Bill come to mind. There is also Scott, Tom, Jim, Patrick (who is an INTV nut), and there are a couple others I've seen in the wild at various fleas and thrifts and chatted with but I do not know thier names.

There are a few in my area, but I do not know them personally. I have talked to a few via this board.

Most of my game friends are all over the place: England, upstate New York, New Jersey, Kentucky, California, Florida, (I am missing about everyone, but its early here :) ).

Thats why the shows are so much fun! We get to hang out and share stories/goodies...

Cassidy

There are a few in my area, but I do not know them personally.  I have talked to a few via this board.  

Most of my game friends are all over the place: England, upstate New York, New Jersey,  Kentucky, California, Florida, (I am missing about everyone, but its early here :) ).

Thats why the shows are so much fun!  We get to hang out and share stories/goodies...

Cassidy

Exactly... What if you did know those collectors personally? I think there are many people who collect or have a general interest in the classic games. Many more than we realize.

Imagine monthly swap meet in your town or simply someone to stomp at Warlords.

Well, I'm going to do it.. So within a month I'll have it all put together...

There's someone on here that has a Cubs avatar, but I guess that's hardly conclusive

Don't worry, Chicago isn't on my thrift store circuit...yet ;)

Columbus has quite a few collectors, it must or I'd own everything by now...

I don't know too many of them, however.

Columbus has quite a few collectors, it must or I'd own everything by now...

I know a few collectors in Columbus and a few from Cincinnati.

Scooter - I saw a videogame presentation (games from the Atari through Playstation2) at COSI last year. Any chance you happened to be the guy demonstrating the games? Sprintmaster was the game that was plugged into the Atari.

There are a few in my area, but I do not know them personally.  I have talked to a few via this board.  

Most of my game friends are all over the place: England, upstate New York, New Jersey,  Kentucky, California, Florida...

And Nebraska. :D

Thats why the shows are so much fun!  We get to hang out and share stories/goodies...

Cassidy

Exactly! I'm getting used to running into you to chill and chat at every show now. I'd be shocked if I went to a con and you WEREN'T there. ;)

Sorry, that wasn't me doing that presentation.  I'm amazed you saw that show, in the past year, I think they've done it three times.  I wish they would do it more often, or at least let the kids play the games.

I thought it was odd that they chose Sprintmaster instead of Indy 500 or Nightdriver to demonstrate the Atari. The idea was to show how games have progressed over time but I'm fairly certain that Sprintmaster was released AFTER the NES game that they were comparing it against :D

Archived