IGNORED

Rebooteroids - Public Testing Phase (And user created level submission)

CyranoJ

can text be added to single player level select 'press [c] to go back' or something like that

i knew it was discussed previously but there is no text telling the user what they need to do to do this like ther is with b to start so i was pressing buttons in vj to see if it was implemented

If we're at QOL and not BugFix, then I'm happy :D

New ROM up!

• Time Enabled is history - Thrust reward is the new way. One set of rules for all.
  • Timer bar removed unless in Kombateroids.
  • Thrust threshold increased to enable green mode. To me, it felt too easy to get the big points. Risk/Reward and all that.

Glad to see this is the new thing! :D

• Like 2

Rebooteroids - 20160421-1847.ROM

Like the name of the level appearing on screen just as level starts. However when game gets hectic, no time to read it. Suggestion - have name of level appear on screen several seconds before level strarts. Time to read it, and on difficult levels, prepare for what is going to appear.

Only comment on green ship is that it is hard to get. This is a design decision and if that's your objective, then you met it. Scored 299,700 without once getting green ship.

Still a fun and addictive game.

Just to add about name of level appearing. Suggest:

1) name of level appears in middle of screen

2) stays visible long enough to read (2-3seconds)

3) level name disappears

4) 1-2 seconds later, level starts

Enough time to know the level, get ready and then play

• Like 2

Just to add about name of level appearing. Suggest:

1) name of level appears in middle of screen

2) stays visible long enough to read (2-3seconds)

3) level name disappears

4) 1-2 seconds later, level starts

Enough time to know the level, get ready and then play

Like that but add

5) The option to hit fire button to skip all that and get on with the action. :)

• Like 2

Played a couple of hours this weekend. Observations:

1) No need to worry about camping. Starting around level 44 and on, you just die unless you move around. Rocks moving fast in different directions = move to survive. I hate to abandon camp, but that tactic just stops working.

2) Green ship. Very difficult to activate. Moving in a controlled manner involves taps of the thrust button. It seems to activate only if thrust is held for quite a long time. That is not conductive to controlled movement. If you want to keep it in the game, make the time threshold lower. My vote is to just take it out. Same score for everyone, regardless of how you play.

3) The more I play, the more I wish you could have more than 3 ships. Award a free ship even if you have 3. I can play from level 0 and have 3 ships left on level 44 and die three very quick depths. Reward the player by banking free ships.

4) What is the plan for rotary control? Can test with my homemade rotary controller (used 2600 paddle).

I find the game to be very enjoyable and addictive. Thank you.

• Like 2

Got some testing done today - not sure how you all get big scores - Im stuck at 35-40k!

Tested this ROM - Rebooteroids - 20160421-1847.ROM

K Model Jag

Skunk v2

Procontroller

Hit the 'High Rez' option when I first started ROM - no problem.

Played Arcade mode getting 37k

Switched to Rebooteroids - when it started realized it was a 2 player game, so I flew around killed a few things then ended up trying to kill myself to end the game.

After game ended accidentally hit B to start again and tried the * and # to reset which the game did, however the control was screwed up. Left was Right and Right was Left.

I switched to skirmish and started that game - I could thrust and fire but trying to turn left or right didnt really work. Pressing left 3 times got me to small left changes and 1 right change. Same behavior with trying right.

Edited by Goochman

... and tried the * and # to reset which the game did, however the control was screwed up. Left was Right and Right was Left.

I switched to skirmish and started that game - I could thrust and fire but trying to turn left or right didnt really work. Pressing left 3 times got me to small left changes and 1 right change. Same behavior with trying right.

Could you have perhaps enabled rotary mode accidentally when doing the reset. I can't remember the key combo off hand.

Yeah sound slike you enabled rotary mode - # on the menu toggles.

Very possibly I did - however I didnt do anything to change it. I just selected a different game which ended due to non-play. When I selected the other game would the rotary control option reset?

Sounds like my goof though.

After game ended accidentally hit B to start again and tried the * and # to reset which the game did, however the control was screwed up. Left was Right and Right was Left.

Sounds like you held #* down to long and pressed # on the menu to toggle the controller.

I feel like any time a new project like this is released on the forums, a video should go up, too! For those of us who don't have a working setup but still want to be part of the community.

There's plenty of video of this on youtube and facebook :)

real cartridge

real hardware

rotary controller made using atari 2600 driving controller

Don't know if you changed code for rotary controller, but it seems to work less well than before

Rate and trim settings all the way to the left - ship will not turn

Rate and trim settings all the way to the right - ship barely turns.

Ship turns "better" if you turn the dial slowly.

If you turn dial at any rate above slowly, ship does not turn at all.

"Better" however is unplayable.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@ EDIT

Above is not reproducible.

Most time any change in trim rate results in ship not turning.

Also notice that on power up rotary settings are not saved and go to default rotatary rate (one click from far right) and rotary trim (far left)

Are settings for keypad somehow messing up rotary control settings?

real cartridge

real hardware

rotary controller made using atari 2600 driving controller

Don't know if you changed code for rotary controller, but it seems to work less well than before

Rate and trim settings all the way to the left - ship will not turn

Rate and trim settings all the way to the right - ship barely turns.

Ship turns "better" if you turn the dial slowly.

If you turn dial at any rate above slowly, ship does not turn at all.

"Better" however is unplayable.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@ EDIT

Above is not reproducible.

Most time any change in trim rate results in ship not turning.

Also notice that on power up rotary settings are not saved and go to default rotatary rate (one click from far right) and rotary trim (far left)

Are settings for keypad somehow messing up rotary control settings?

Isn't the 2600 rotary only a 12-click (or something low like that) - it's not going to work well at that resolution. My Chaos Reigns is 72, which seems to work fine. Not sure I can test with such low count rotaries as I don't have one :/

Isn't the 2600 rotary only a 12-click (or something low like that) - it's not going to work well at that resolution. My Chaos Reigns is 72, which seems to work fine. Not sure I can test with such low count rotaries as I don't have one :/

OK. Didn't realize such low clicks.

Few random thoughs:

Level 44 - Boo. All levels up to then do not place ship in play until you push "A." This level not only places your ship in play when level appears, but it puts you in the path of a rock about to hit you. You have about one second to move or you die a cheap death. Boo. Also, if you play from level zero, you start the level with a score of 295,000. Next free ship is 325k (next free ship point). Most likely you will have less than 3 ships which means a very quick game over.

Level 61 - Pure genius of a level. Genius design, challenging, but beatable. Great level.

Level 91 - Pure evil. Basically invincible stars. I have beaten it without a power up. Constant movement to avoid being hit by rocks. Shot one rock at a time. Eliminate each split rock before shooting and splitting other rocks. Takes a lot of time. If you were still implementing the countdown timer, this level might be close to impossible. Whoever designed this level hates the player.

"Cheats" I'd like to see: Level select (any). Infinite lives - difficulty ramps up and it's very hard to turn system on and start at level 70 or above.

The more you play, the more apparent you realize the huge amount of work that enter into play mechanics and level design. What a fun game.☺

• Like 2

Quick request - for those who are able - could you please test the multiplayer modes? This part of the game is probably the least tested :)

I'm hoping that there will be lots of multiplayer testing for you tomorrow at Play Expo Blackpool. I'm taking a couple of rotaries (1chaos reins 1 tyrant) Will report back on any issues I see.

• Like 4