IGNORED

HSC13 Round 6: Desmond's Dungeon & Nadral

I finished "Nadral's" Level 3 (Gamma). I've mapped the 36 rooms of this level too.

post-4925-0-15637900-1460311449_thumb.gif

When I finished level 3, instead of minimizing the Altirra emulator, I closed the emulator instead. Now, in order to map level 4, I'll have to beat the first three levels again! I'm such a dummy!

Adam

• Like 1

Well... I've been doing my best playing Nadral and suddendly I've died while picking up extra life... and then this happened:

I was on Theta * 3, score somewhere around 130k.

Hmm. That's EXACTLY what happens when you use a save state. That's the ONLY time I've seen the screen get garbled before.

Adam

Here is the map of "Nadral" that I made for the highest level that I've completed so far: Level 4 (Delta):

post-4925-0-58926900-1460321054_thumb.gif

As the levels increase in size, there are many more rooms that you don't need to explore-- so you'll find that using the map is helpful. All of the items in each room are shown on the maps. Knowing the locations of the keys is probably most helpful, but you can use the map to look for other useful items too. For instance, make sure to pick up an icon that look like a vial (or, maybe, it looks like a small glass perfume bottle): that's an extra life; you'll certainly need as many lives as you can collect as you progress in this game!

I've enjoyed working my way through the level layouts so far. I'll probably even continue to explore them when this round is over.

I really wish that save states worked with "Nadral," this way I could continue from where I left off mapping. I can't recall another game in the Altirra emulator that doesn't work with save states. I am aware that I can continue from the last level that I reached, but when I start a new game (for example, if I play again tomorrow), then I'll have to start playing from level 1 again before I can finish mapping the next level (which, currently, is level 5). As much as I despised writing down passwords on the Nintendo Entertainment System, I'd appreciate a password system in this game.

Does anyone know how many levels are in "Nadral?" It seems that "Dope" made it to "Theta," which, continuing to follow the tradition of the Greek alphabet, is level 8. That's quite far-- the level must be massive. How many rooms are there on Level "Theta?"

Adam

• Like 1

I don't use save states if that's what you mean.

I didn't mean to imply that you used save states. However, that is what it looks like when you load a previously saved state. Once you load a save state though, the same isn't playable. You can get killed my garbled graphics on the screen (believe me, I've tried it).

Adam

I was impressed with my own score let alone McKong who was sure to win the round, then Dope... WOW, and then HSC veteran Orpheuswaking shows us how it's done with a record shattering score and reaching level 27. Impressive stuff guys :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'm glad a few of us have found a new game to play in Nadral. Despite not being fully NTSC compliant Nadral might appear again in the HSC. I'll look out for a hacked version that lets you start on any level :) Thanks for playing EVERYONE and please check your scores :)

Final tables

Desmond's Dungeon

1st Orpheuswaking (n) 236,130 13pts#

2nd Dope (n) 186,170 11pts

3rd McKong (p) 134,250 10pts
4th therealbountybob (p) 85,420 9pts
5th Deteacher (n) 81,780 8pts
6th jdh (p) 22,545 7pts

7th ballyalley (n) 13,250 6pts

8th Sikor (p) 12,010 5pts
9th roadrunner (n) 10,930 4pts

10th spookt (p) 7,200 3pts