IGNORED

Spy Hunter "Dual Control Module"

tkarner

Does anyone have a Spy Hunter "Dual Control Module". If so, can you

post a picture?

I read about it in the HTML instructions on Atari Age. I've never seen one.

And while it's easy to find a Spy Hunter cart, good luck finding one

complete with this module.

What does it really do? From reading the instructions I assume it simply

holds the joysticks together to place the fire button of joystick 2 in a more

convenient position (you use joystick button 2 to drop the oil slick).

There's a picture diagram of it in the manual, at least there is in the 8-bit version. I've never seen the real thing thou. It doesn't look like much, just a rectangular bottom piece thingie with holes for the cords to pass thru, and double sided tape, originally to hold them in place.

It basically holds the second controller out in front of the main one, level with it, so you would play/hold the controller like normal, then reach up with your thumb to hit the second fire button. The second controller is turned around so that the buttons face one another.

I see now. I only had the HTML manual on Atari Age to look at and that

has no pictures. It's what I expected, just a piece of plastic to hold

two joysticks together. I wasn't sure if there was any wiring to it

(joysticks plug into unit, unit plugs into Atari). Nothing as ambitious...

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other games that used the

second joystick's fire button? I'm considering installing a second

button into a joystick (and a second plug to go into the other

joystick port). That way I can play Spy Hunter while holding only

one joystick. If I go through with the effort it would be nice to

have more than one game to use it with.

'm wondering if anyone knows of any other games that used the second joystick's fire button?

Stargate and Raiders of the Lost Ark, but both use directions on the second joystick, not just the button (Stargate would still be very playable though). My webpage has plans to convert a psx controller for dual 2600 stick action if you're interested.

• 3 years later...
It doesn't look like much, just a rectangular bottom piece thingie with holes for the cords to pass thru, and double sided tape, originally to hold them in place.
Velcro, actually -- so you can remove and reinstall the joysticks at will. The fuzzy side should probably go on the sticks; that's how I assembled mine (from the Commodore 64 version of the game, which I still have, along with the velcro-enhanced Atari CX-40 sticks).

I always played Spy Hunter with one joystick in hand, and the other on the floor, barefoot, with the fire button under my big toe... At one point I "borrowed" the footpedal from Mom's antique sewing machine and wired it up as a fire button. It worked great, and it turned out she didn't actually kill me after all :)

What is that doctorclu?

Don't really know. There are no markings on it.

(Added a few minutes later)

Ok, here we go... The Robotron base!! We know thanks to Almost Rice!

QUOTE(kchris73 @ Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:16 AM) *

Do you know if the dual controller comes standard with the USA packaging of Robotron 2084? The back of the box of the "international" version indicates it comes standard, but it's not clear if all versions do (compare the back of the boxes).

Almost Rice Posted Today, 1:20 PM

There are 2 version of the grey box. The really thick one has the dual controller. The thinner version(about the same size as all the other atari game boxes) only has the game. You can still get Robotron from B&C. I see him selling it on ebay once in a while.

Archived