IGNORED

Why controllers do not define the 5200

TJSLAPSHOT

Ha, hey cuz Cafeman :). I completely relate to your story. It mystifies me that the 5200 is considered a flop. It was the system we all wanted and if we knew someone with one we tried to play it. The Colecovision and the 5200 were the next-generation consoles and both are great systems. If I remember correctly, didn't the Atari 5200 catch up to the Colecovision in units being sold (before the crash)? I do understand that the controllers are a flaw and would have been corrected. I just know my cousin and I and many neighborhood kids spent a lot of time playing the 5200 and we didn't have issues.

I think the controllers do define it because you can't play without them. If they were just weird (non centering analog for mostly digital games) it wouldn't be a problem. The buttons are terrible too, with next to no tactile feedback, but that still wouldn't doom the system. The Intellivision is pretty well loved and respected and those controllers are weird too. I think we would just say it's part of the charm.

No, the real problem is that they break without even playing with them. And they break frequently. Sure sometimes opening them up and using the eraser trick works, but you just know it's a ticking time bomb.

This would be ok if there were reasonably priced third party controllers, but that is not the case. Competition Pros and Wico sticks cost more than the system and are scarce. The Masterplay is also scarce and expensive, and homemade clones (which are awesome) cost $80+ on ebay. Even the Colecovision, which has a not so great controller, can use a 2600, Genesis, or 7800 (with 2 buttons) controller.

I have a 4 port (with the annoying switch box) and lots of games, but couldn't really have any fun with it due to the controllers. Of course a trak ball and/or paddle would make a difference, but those aren't cheap either.

I had to have the console, because I wanted all of the Atari made systems. The library is small, with many of the games either the same as on my XEGS or done better on the 7800.

With all that said, I have finally found a way to have a lot of fun with the system. Bohoki makes cheap pc adapters, and on ebay you can get a cheap pc to atari adapter. Playing the system with a simple Atari Flashback 2 controller has made all of the difference. It is no longer collecting dust. Gremlins, Space Invaders, Berzerk, Kangaroo, Pac Man, Mario Brothers, etc. all have a certain charm on the 5200. Hell, even Galaxian is playable.

So, considering my love for all things Atari, and my decent 5200 collection, I'm not hating on the console. With my butt ugly two adapters, the 5200 has been played quite a bit lately (well, after I finally got around to cracking it open and adjusting the potentiometer). For this reason I say the 5200 is defined by its controllers due to either the expense or hoops you have to go through to make it even playable.

Edited by Noah98

If you've been following (or supporting) the Eladdin kickstarter that's mentioned on the main Atariage page, they're stating that they may set their sites on making custom 5200 controllers like they are with the Colecovision. If they do create a 5200 controller like the one they're doing for the CV, I will probably look into getting a 5200. A good controller makes THAT MUCH of a difference, at least to me. I've said this before - control is everything in a video game. If you can't interact properly or comfortably with the device you're using, then the experience will suffer for it.

I've said the same thing about every other system with that style of controller - Intellivision, Colecovision, and the 7800 - the latter two which do have good alternatives and the Intellivision I sold because, you guessed it, I HATE Intellivision controllers too and there are no alternatives for them. Someone makes one, I'll buy an intellivision again.

• Like 1