IGNORED

Modern storage for Tandy 1000 EX options...

cbmeeks

I have two Tandy 1000 EX's that are stock. No upgrades or software.

What is the best way to get a modern storage solution on them to run DOS and play some awesome games?

Thanks!

That doesn't use standard slots, so I'm not sure you have any modern options.

There are ISA cards that would work otherwise.

https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/product-category/retro-ibm-pc/

There were aftermarket hard drive kits back in the day. They used a custom RLL card and an external hard drive with its own power supply.

At one point I tried to make a simple ISA to EX plus card adapter but that never did work out. The EX hard drive kits were very expensive...even the external 3.5" floppy drive from Radio Shack was nearly $300.00. I ended up buying a new 1000SL on sale and then an aftermarket 32mb hard-card for about what the EX kit cost. I then sold my EX system and recouped a large part of my money.

You do have an external floppy port but that's not standard. You might be able to replace the internal floppy drive with some kind of SD card adapter.

I believe the HxC floppy emulator can emulate a 720KB drive, and this should be sufficient for most games likely to run well on a 7.16/4.77MHz Tandy 1000EX with 256KB of RAM with minimal disk swapping.

You will need to make a card edge to pin header adapter, but this will work : https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/product/lo-tech-isa-compactflash-pcb/

Edited by Great Hierophant