IGNORED

ColecoVisions Podcast - Wing War and Artillery Duel listener feedback?

thevnaguy

Barely played wing war... but Artillery duel , and chuck norris super kicks, yes.

Actually played both of these on the atari 2600 first and found them both interesting and we really liked the artillery duel. The best thing is it was 2 player and if your friend was not particular good at combat or other quick twitch games it was a good game they could actually be competitive with .

The notable thing for me was the atari 2600 versions and the colecovision versions looked very similar and it was a little disappointing when I did get the coleco verisions of both Artillery Duel & Chuck norris that there wasn't much graphical improvement.

Wing war obvioudly is the opposite of this. The graphics on colecovision are far superior and really sell the game.

• Like 1

Wing War, I got that game when it was released probably from Toys R' Us as I remember seeing that puppet dragon box art behind some glass and getting a ticket to take to the counter. I also remember plugging it in and spending a bit of time getting used to the controls, I kept crashing into walls and dropping those damn crystals. Almost gave up on it and was thinking of returning the game (cause you could in the pre-Nintendo days) but what kept me going was the weird dragon world and the different screens. Anything fantasy oriented was pretty rare on consoles. I remember keeping the manual on hand (basically on the floor next to my Colecovision) so I can match up crystals to get through the tunnel and at that troll (Rock Demon) which for me was probably the first early "boss-like" enemy encountered in a game. You really couldn't beat him without getting a super crystal although I vaguely remember finding a spot to do it without one.

It was a fun game although somewhat disappointing due to the controls and clunky "combat". Random thought: Would be interesting to see this game remade with 16bit SNES style graphics and better controls.

• Like 1