IGNORED

Dynomite Sound Digitizer for Coleco Adam

ed1475

I've uploaded a video of the Dynomite Sound Digitizer software for the Adam. It's playing a few recorded messages that came with the disk. I recently got the disk and manual.

There was also a cartridge that came with the program for recording sounds. If anyone has the cartridge and wants to sell it send me a PM.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

That's very cool but what are you supposed to do with it? Does it have a way to export your recorded samples as data you could insert into a game or other program as sound fx or music?

Should my memory serve correct, although I have CRS; you can hook a keyboard up to the interface and play it while the sound digitizer records it. You can then play back thru the keyboard, and I believe you can also play the music files on the ADAM, include it in your programs etc.

Yes, you can hook up all types of audio equipment to the DSD Cart and record audio into a digitized computer file that can then be played back by the DSD software or incorporated into one's own SmartBasic or Machine Language programs.

Unfortunately this tremendous tool was never implemented into a software program that I know of, but maybe one day someone will release an all new ADAM software titlento show of it's abilities.

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, rietveld said:

I was wondering how it compares to the dynamite 2 re make

You'd have to ask Tekman seeing as he is the only one that has built a cartridge using the tech info provided on Eric's GitHub site. Seeing as it uses the original software from the 90s, I can only assume that it is at least identical and probably a little better due to using modern electronics.

I took a peek at the D2 but I still have zero clue how anyone can extract the data from a cart, datapack or disk, convert it to a usable assembly language source that you can play at will.
I love the concept but execution is a pipe dream until someone writes software that will do exactly as described.  Until you get to that point all I see it as an extremely crude dictation toy.

Looking at it as a programmer I would grab a sample through windows, scale it down in audacity then use a custom program to convert it into usable code.

1 hour ago, Captain Cozmos said:

I took a peek at the D2 but I still have zero clue how anyone can extract the data from a cart, datapack or disk, convert it to a usable assembly language source that you can play at will.
I love the concept but execution is a pipe dream until someone writes software that will do exactly as described.  Until you get to that point all I see it as an extremely crude dictation toy.

Looking at it as a programmer I would grab a sample through windows, scale it down in audacity then use a custom program to convert it into usable code.

There is a patched version of Smart Basic 2 that plays the audio files

• Thanks 1

Assembly source code is available on Eric's github. Maybe this will help you understand how to use it. I'm not a programmer and can't help you other than offer this link. Eric did modify the original digitizer interface software and added his own boot up audio and maybe reach out to him if the source is still not clear to you.

https://github.com/epearsoe/Dynomite-II/blob/main/Documentation/Dynomite Sound Digitizer - Source Code (Syd Carter).pdf

23 hours ago, Captain Cozmos said:

The DSD ML software program source code is in this directory: (AdamArchive.Org) - The home for everything ADAM

Eric compiled the SmartBasic 2.0 driver from the source code Syd provided in the "Copyright" SmartWriter text file on the DSD disk/disk image and I put together a self-booting disk image of it along with a couple sound files. Unfortunately, this SB 2.0 program is only compatible with the earlier digitized sound files as Syd must have upgraded the format and never got around to updating the SB 2.0 driver. Worth a look, but see the above link: epearsoe · GitHub

The sound file (data) will probably follow a format that you can decipher from the source codes linked above. It's above my skill set, but I can assume that the sound files start with a header and then the rest is data.

With the available source code, you could probably add support for playing back sound files in your Chaos DOS.

On 1/2/2023 at 7:40 PM, NIAD said:

The DSD ML software program source code is in this directory: (AdamArchive.Org) - The home for everything ADAM

Eric compiled the SmartBasic 2.0 driver from the source code Syd provided in the "Copyright" SmartWriter text file on the DSD disk/disk image and I put together a self-booting disk image of it along with a couple sound files. Unfortunately, this SB 2.0 program is only compatible with the earlier digitized sound files as Syd must have upgraded the format and never got around to updating the SB 2.0 driver. Worth a look, but see the above link: epearsoe · GitHub

The sound file (data) will probably follow a format that you can decipher from the source codes linked above. It's above my skill set, but I can assume that the sound files start with a header and then the rest is data.

With the available source code, you could probably add support for playing back sound files in your Chaos DOS.

I ran both disk images through a HEX editor and I can't seem to see what the difference is between the samples.  They both look to follow the same address for SAVEing them to disk 

I ran both disk images through a HEX editor and I can't seem to see what the difference is between the samples.  They both look to follow the same address for SAVEing them to disk 

I used a Hex Editor to look at the sound files on the DSD program disk as well as the two extra Sounds  disks. The first couple bytes of the sounds files on the DSD disk are identical but those first couple bytes (a header?) are different for all the sound files on the extra Sounds disks. I can only assume that Syd improved/updated the sound file format and never got around to updating the SB 2.0 driver and player program… especially since he never provided the compiled SB 2.0 overlay/driver, he only provided the source code in a text file.

No biggie, just making everyone aware.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rietveld said:

I am very intrigued by the idea of an Adam audio digitizer.  I ordered one of Johns and hope to find a way to incorporate the audio into smart basic programs

I didn’t spend a lot of time with the SB 2.0 driver/overlay and the player program but the source code is available to make changes and then compile if I am correct about old and new format sound files.

The ones that do work play perfectly in SB 2.0 which the exception that everything freezes while the sound file is played… like would happen in a CV game or Berzerk on the Atari 5200.

Are the sound samples in Eric's Github distribution disk sampled with the Dynamite 2?

I assume the original sound sample disks in the archive (Joe and Millis sites) are done back in 1990 using the dynamite 1

No. All the sound sample files on the DSD and Sound disks were done by Syd Carter back in the 90s.

The only sound sample that is NEW is the one Eric made and included on the DSD software’s new title screen.

The Dynomite II cartridge developed by Eric is made with all new modern tech/electronics.