IGNORED

Wav2Cas For Tandy CoCo 2?

johnnystarr

I recently bought a TRS-80 Tandy Color Computer 2 64K. It came with a cassette recorder and EDTASM+

I've been using the cassette to save my work and assemble directly to cassette CLOADM/EXEC my game I'm working on.

This is fun and all, but I'm curious how the .CAS files that are out there on the interwebs came to be in the first place.

I found a Wav2Cas utility, but it was for the TRS-80 I,II,III computers and not the CoCo. I really want to have a way to backup

my work to my PC so as not to lose it to cassette oblivion.

Obviously I can wire my CoCo into the microphone jack and create a raw .wav, but what do I do with it from there?

I have OSX and Windows 10 machines available.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can use the very good XROAR emulator, if you absolutely want .cas files. Why don't you just leave the recorded .wav files, if you just want a backup?

From the XROAR-manual:

"XRoar supports three types of cassette image:

Extension Description

‘.cas’ Cassette file. Simple binary representation of data contained on a tape. Cannot represent silence, or some custom encodings.

‘.wav’ Cassette audio file. XRoar can read sampled audio from original cassettes.

‘.bas’, ‘.asc’ ASCII BASIC file. XRoar will convert text on the fly into blocks suitablefor loading in ASCII mode. Read-only.

To create a cassette image for writing (with the CSAVE or CSAVEM BASIC commands, for example,use the ‘-tape-write filename’ option, or press Ctrl+W. Created files will be truncated to zero length, so be careful not to overwrite any existing files with this command. The currently open tape files used for reading and writing are distinct.

The ‘-tape-fast’ option accelerates tape loading by intercepting ROM calls. Disable with ‘-no-tape-fast’. On by default.

The ‘-tape-rewrite’ option enables rewriting of anything read from the input tape to the output tape. This is useful for creating “well formed” ‘.cas’ files.[...]"