IGNORED

Fair Price for a ColecoVision that works

Professor Gull

I just wanted some opinions on the ColecoVision as to what would be a fair price for a console if it works and possibly the value of the roller ball/trackball ad on and the Expansion piece to play Atari 2600 games.

I have an opportunity to pick one up but like with anything price can be an issue.

Thanks all in advance.

Just check completed listings on eBay to get a good idea what its worth on eBay. You should be able to get stuff cheaper if its grouped in a lot, then if your buying the expansion module or roller controller by themselves.

If you can find lower prices at a flea market, garage sale or game store, then go for it. But ColecoVision stuff is very hard to find off line. It shows up from time to time on Craigslist. Usually you can get a good deal if you wait for an auction, and there are not many bids.

I just wanted some opinions on the ColecoVision as to what would be a fair price for a console if it works and possibly the value of the roller ball/trackball ad on and the Expansion piece to play Atari 2600 games.

I have an opportunity to pick one up but like with anything price can be an issue.

Thanks all in advance.

Based on my experience:

console w/ power supply & 2 joysticks:

dead $0-$20

dirty/partially working $20-$40

fully working $40-$60

fully refurbished $60-$100

fully refurb + mod or CIB $100-$200

I've seen the roller ball/trackball add-on and the Expansion go anywhere from $10-$30 each locally, not sure about ebay prices though.

Edited by Jeremy Popp
  • Like 1

console w/ power supply & 2 joysticks:

dead $0-$20

dirty/partially working $20-$40

fully working $40-$60

fully refurbished $60-$100

fully refurb + mod or CIB $100-$200

Yeah I checked Ebay for a bit just to try to figure out a number. My local retro store would give $25 credit for a working console and $15 credit for the Expansion module 1. What are the chances it still works though being kept in a box for over 30 years?

What are the chances it still works though being kept in a box for over 30 years?

I've probably gone through 10 colecovisions in the last 5 years, refubishing and modding them. Of those 10, only 3 of them worked without issues the first time I tried it. The other 7 absolutely needed a power switch cleaning, and 2 of them had additional issues. One other issue was just a cold solder joint, which was easily fixed. The other had a bad controller port IC.

I would say you have a good chance that it will work - sort-of. When the power switch is dirty, sometimes you can't get good voltage at all, but if you flip it back and forth enough, it'll usually work. It's actually not that hard to clean the power switch if you have a soldering iron and a little dielectric grease.

Edited by Jeremy Popp
  • Like 1

I would say you have a good chance that it will work - sort-of. When the power switch is dirty, sometimes you can't get good voltage at all, but if you flip it back and forth enough, it'll usually work. It's actually not that hard to clean the power switch if you have a soldering iron and a little dielectric grease.

Note to self buy dielectric grease. I thought I had some after doing some Atari paddle refurbishments but apparently I do not. time to go down to Radio.....oh never mind they are all closed off to Ebay or Amazon I go.

Auto parts stores sell die-electric grease..it's used for spark plug boots and other electric connections.

I'm due for another tube as well.

Funny you mentioned that I was in Advance Auto and got a tube while getting a belt for my car yesterday. There are times I just don't think about stuff outside the box.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...