IGNORED

Atari 2600 Encyclopedia Book

DaddaRuleKonge

Been pushing my PDFs on both the Jaguar and 7800 boards. This time i`m doing a PDF on the 2600. As the library is huge compared to the Jaguar and 7800, i`m having a bit of a problem on the legality of the library. I`m using AtariAge rarity list for sorting the games, and I don`t know what games are considered an official release, etc. If someone would like to see were I am on PDF I included it as a attachment to this post. And if someone has a official list of games, then that would be really helpful.

---2600.pdf

• Like 4

A few questions i`m hoping some can answer:

Did the developers Zellers only produce unlicensed 2600 games?

Is the PAL release Dancing Plate (NTSC release: Dishaster) an unlicensed game?

And is this every PAL exclusive list of games:

Acid Drop

Bobby Geht Heim

Fatal Run
Ghostbusters II

My Golf

Pick n Pile

Wing War

Am I missing anyone?

I just tried that update link but I'm getting a 404 error (not found). :(

Try now.

Sorry I don't have any hate to offer. I really like it so far! Are the small circled numbers some type of rating?

Yes, it is scores from gamefaq. Some users has already voiced their dismay over this score, as it`s often biased and stupid, but I need something that has continuity.

Wow...I'm really digging this one :thumbsup:. Love the layout and content that your providing in this PDF. Lots of work for sure -- Thank you.

Here's my input:

I would include Juno First, Space Rocks and Star Castle Arcade as part of the Notable Homebrews.

Would be nice to make mention of the AtariVox, for any of the homebrews that support it.

For reference, here's a link to the supported games: https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1045

Each of the supported games, has an Atarivox Support/Enhanced section: (i.e. AStar: https://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=821)

Thanks again.

Wow...I'm really digging this one :thumbsup:. Love the layout and content that your providing in this PDF. Lots of work for sure -- Thank you.

Here's my input:

I would include Juno First, Space Rocks and Star Castle Arcade as part of the Notable Homebrews.

Would be nice to make mention of the AtariVox, for any of the homebrews that support it.

For reference, here's a link to the supported games: https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1045

Each of the supported games, has an Atarivox Support/Enhanced section: (i.e. AStar: https://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=821)

Thanks again.

Thanks. I will include the atarivox. Also I will include every homebrew listed on the AtariAge rarity list :)

Acid Drop

Bobby Geht Heim

Fatal Run

Ghostbusters II

My Golf

Pick n Pile

Wing War

Am I missing anyone?

Klax

Acid Drop

Bobby Geht Heim

Fatal Run

Ghostbusters II

My Golf

Pick n Pile

Wing War

Am I missing anyone?

Bobby Geht Heim (Bobby Is Going Home) was also released in NTSC format:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-bobby-is-going-home_18790.html

Please use the original versions of the PAL ITT games mentioned above:

http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-2600-vcs-p_total-page-step-format-original_70-1-200-1-1_2_G.html

Most of these titles were originally Home Vision games.

For example, Cosmic Town from ITT was first released as Base Attack by Home Vision:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-base-attack_s7272.html

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Been pushing my PDFs on both the Jaguar and 7800 boards. This time i`m doing a PDF on the 2600. As the library is huge compared to the Jaguar and 7800, i`m having a bit of a problem on the legality of the library. I`m using AtariAge rarity list for sorting the games, and I don`t know what games are considered an official release, etc. If someone would like to see were I am on PDF I included it as a attachment to this post. And if someone has a official list of games, then that would be really helpful.

can't wait to see a more complete listing!!!

update on the PDF:https://daddarulekonge.itch.io/apro

It's nice but I wish there was more to the games in each entry...

I know it`s a little bare bone. Some games I can find pages of information on but some games it`s hard to just find a sentence on. I think this PDF is more like a book people can "flip" though to find a little information on each game. So they can decide what to buy or play next.

Zellers was a Canadian discount department store chain (that went out of business several years ago). They did not develop or manufacture anything themselves -- though there were numerous "store brand" products produced to their specifications.

I don't think that anyone knows who the original developer of these games was; presumably it was some small firm in Taiwan or Hong Kong.

It is my personal theory that the same developer did the Quelle games, but I cannot prove that. (Quelle was a similar discount department store, based in Germany.)

Zellers was a Canadian discount department store chain (that went out of business several years ago). They did not develop or manufacture anything themselves -- though there were numerous "store brand" products produced to their specifications.

I don't think that anyone knows who the original developer of these games was; presumably it was some small firm in Taiwan or Hong Kong.

It is my personal theory that the same developer did the Quelle games, but I cannot prove that. (Quelle was a similar discount department store, based in Germany.)

Original developers from the Zeller titles can all be found here (the titles that are in white on each game page):

http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-2600-vcs-zellers-taiwan-2600-compatible_publisher_47_2_G.html

8)

For Space Cavern it says "He told developer Dan Oliver what he wanted in the game without disclosing his inspiration" which is a version I've read before and I don't think is correct. Pat and/or Ed gave me a manual or marketing material for Demon Attack, said it was a great game (impressed with the graphics), and I was to make one like it. They also said they were trying to get a copy from a distributor. That "meeting" took 30-60 seconds.

Several days later they got a copy and let me look at Demon Attack in a room at Apollo. They wouldn't let me dump the cart or keep a copy so they were concerned about legal issues. Having learned 6502 just a few weeks previous, never having seen an Atari before starting at Apollo like a week before I got the Demon Attack assignment, no 2600 manual, I had absolutely no idea how Demon Attack was done. It was and still is a really impressive game. I could barely get 2 line resolution.

To Apollo's credit they didn't really want Demon Attack ripped off. No one ever mentioned Demon Attack after development of Space Cavern started, no one suggested any changes to make it more like Demon Attack. It was purely used as "inspiration".

It would be nice if the encyclopedia had the human developer's name instead or in addition to the corporate name. Might be just me but that info is more useful. That David Crane did a specific game is useful. What company he happen to be at the time I don't find as useful or interesting. It was a time when a single person normally created the entire game and maybe a reason why Atari remains interesting.

• Like 2

For Space Cavern it says "He told developer Dan Oliver what he wanted in the game without disclosing his inspiration" which is a version I've read before and I don't think is correct. Pat and/or Ed gave me a manual or marketing material for Demon Attack, said it was a great game (impressed with the graphics), and I was to make one like it. They also said they were trying to get a copy from a distributor. That "meeting" took 30-60 seconds.

Several days later they got a copy and let me look at Demon Attack in a room at Apollo. They wouldn't let me dump the cart or keep a copy so they were concerned about legal issues. Having learned 6502 just a few weeks previous, never having seen an Atari before starting at Apollo like a week before I got the Demon Attack assignment, no 2600 manual, I had absolutely no idea how Demon Attack was done. It was and still is a really impressive game. I could barely get 2 line resolution.

To Apollo's credit they didn't really want Demon Attack ripped off. No one ever mentioned Demon Attack after development of Space Cavern started, no one suggested any changes to make it more like Demon Attack. It was purely used as "inspiration".

It would be nice if the encyclopedia had the human developer's name instead or in addition to the corporate name. Might be just me but that info is more useful. That David Crane did a specific game is useful. What company he happen to be at the time I don't find as useful or interesting. It was a time when a single person normally created the entire game and maybe a reason why Atari remains interesting.

On Space Cavern I used the text form wikipedia. I will rewrite the text :)

I see your point on using the developers name. I will probably be more interesting. I will try to get something done.