IGNORED

Is a CX40 worth seeking out?

zetastrike

I've been an Atari owner for a couple years now, but have never owned a real CX40, just a Flashback stick and two Wico Bat handles.

Does anyone have advice on what to look out for with CX40s? I see a lot of clones on amazon, but many of the reviewers complain that they broke in less than a day. Are originals more durable? The game shop in my mall has a lot of them. Are they worth owning, at the end of the day?

If you have the Flashback sticks - probably not. The CX 40 is a nice joystick for games that a tight throw is required. I used to malign it pretty heavily, but I've grown to rely on it for some games because I think it offers very precise controls without a lot of movement. However, I've actually put my originals away (don't have the gold Best ones) and used the Flashback sticks instead for my high score runs.

• 2 weeks later...

I tracked down a CX-40 today at the mall. I chose it over a Gemstick, which also seemed pretty nice. After an hour or so of playtime, I like it. It is a lot different from my flashback stick. I like how the CX-40 stick has a shorter range of motion and the button has a better feel. The stick is easier to push, at least to me. The button clicks nicely. It's slightly bigger, making it more comfy.

How does the Best gold stick work in comparison? Does it have sound/tactile feedback like a microswitch? Does it do away with the plastic core? I worry about breaking that. I might buy one of those for my birthday.

I tracked down a CX-40 today at the mall. I chose it over a Gemstick, which also seemed pretty nice. After an hour or so of playtime, I like it. It is a lot different from my flashback stick. I like how the CX-40 stick has a shorter range of motion and the button has a better feel. The stick is easier to push, at least to me. The button clicks nicely. It's slightly bigger, making it more comfy.

How does the Best gold stick work in comparison? Does it have sound/tactile feedback like a microswitch? Does it do away with the plastic core? I worry about breaking that. I might buy one of those for my birthday.I

I can't say enough good about buying a gold kit from Best Electronics . From my experience though , you should buy a new orange fire button when you buy the board and stick kit . It doesn't come with the fire button . The tactile feedback is great . You don't want to use those micro switches . You could probably get away with just buying the board and not the stick but I have never tried an old stick with a gold board .