IGNORED

Atari 7800 Rewritable Multigame Cartridge

vectrexroli

@ moonlight23 and @ walter_J64bit, I followed your lead and also created a similar looking case for my Multi-Cart.

Ordered a POKEY and received word that its been shipped.

attachicon.gifMateos Cart Shell Label Side.JPG attachicon.gifMateos Cart Shell - BK.JPG

@sramirez2008 is there no way to make that raised part fit inside? I haven't got a cart to gut yet, but I was wondering if there was a way to trim/Dremel the inside of that cart to cover that raised part of the cart on the label side.

Like this one that VetrexRoli did?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251570-atari-7800-rewritable-multigame-cartridge/?p=3551770

V3 is thicker than V2 that Roland and myself have.

It is explained back in this thread.

It was something like an easier way to attach the daughter board but that made it thicker.

@sramirez2008 is there no way to make that raised part fit inside? I haven't got a cart to gut yet, but I was wondering if there was a way to trim/Dremel the inside of that cart to cover that raised part of the cart on the label side.

Like this one that VetrexRoli did?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251570-atari-7800-rewritable-multigame-cartridge/?p=3551770

• Like 1

V3 is thicker than V2 that Roland and myself have.

It is explained back in this thread.

It was something like an easier way to attach the daughter board but that made it thicker.

Thanks. I have read the whole thread but must have missed that or misread it. It makes sense. I guess I will have to track down a Dremel and hack up my extra PPII cart that I got in a lot that I just bought.

Off topic, but can anyone point me in the right direction for some label making software? I've been searching the forums, but haven't come across anything and would like to add a label to my Multi-Cart.

Would this work? You would just have to format and or trim the label to account for the smaller space on the cart.

http://www.labelmaker2600.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got a 7800 in my possession to test my cart and I am having some problems.

On the 2 NTSC slots that are pre dumped I get an Atari Loading Screen on both, then both fail to load the rest of the way. If I try to copy any of the pre-stripped/and renamed roms from the link in this thread none of them will copy over.

As a matter of fact as soon as I select an empty slot and plug in the usb I get an error that says I need to format the disk before I can use it.

Any ideas.

I am using Win10 but I did the hack to prevent Windoze from writing files to removable drives. I am a little frustrated that even the pre-burned test roms won't load.

Dear Groundtrooper,

Please, could you try the following to troubleshoot this issue?

1. Select slot 0 (make sure that the size switch is <144kb), insert the 7800 card into the burner, and connect it to your pc. Ignore the formatting message.
  2. Install Roadkil's Sector Editor (http://www.<span><sp...hp?ProgramID=24)
  3. Run Roadkil's Sector Editor and select File>Export sectors, and export 520 sectors to a file.
  4. Safely eject the burner. Disconect the dumper from your PC usb port.
  5. Please, send me that file (vectrex at hackermesh dot org).

Best regards,

Edited by jfmateos

Dear Groundtrooper,

Please, could you try the following to troubleshoot this issue?

1. Select slot 0 (make sure that the size switch is <144kb), insert the 7800 card into the burner, and connect it to your pc. Ignore the formatting message.
  2. Install Roadkil's Sector Editor (http://www.<span><sp...hp?ProgramID=24)
  3. Run Roadkil's Sector Editor and select File>Export sectors, and export 520 sectors to a file.
  4. Safely eject the burner. Disconect the dumper from your PC usb port.
  5. Please, send me that file (vectrex at hackermesh dot org).

Best regards,

Thanks for the quick reply, Dump sent.

So I have been trying some different things after talking this out of a FB post.

I remembered I had an old net book that still happen to have Windows 7. I Copied over the Atari Age Rom Set that is posted earlier in this thread. (I was already using these on my Win 10 machine with no luck)

I have the Switch set to 128k. I tried copying over a few smaller roms. ie - Color Selector Demo, Test Cartridge, & Asteroids. Each time Windows 7 would start copying

th_Copying%20Win%207-1_zpss3be1pja.png

After a short time a dialog pops up basically stating that it can no longer see the USB device (Mateo/Burner/Cartridge)

th_Item%20Not%20Found-Win%207_zpsnmgib2h

So I can pretty much replicate the same action with the same results in Windows 10.

Mateo Drive Properties showing 256k Free Space.

th_DriveProperties_zpsr8sl5mw6.png

Copying over rom - File Too Large Dialog

th_TooLarge_zpsocvt8pxs.png

Then after the file fails to copy over I get the Windows 10 version of losing track of the Burner/Cart.

th_USB%20Malfunction_zps5jjrfcow.png

I haven't heart back from Mateo about my Sector Dump on the Slot 0 yet.

The fact that windows loses track of the burner/cart or thinks that it is full on bost OS's makes me think it is a hardware issue. But I am patiently waiting to hear what the issue and or a fix might be.

Just to reconfirm what I have tried.

Yes I have turned off the removable drive hidden file writing to removable drives.

Yes I am lining up the XXXXX's and OOOOO's on the burner with the Cart PCB.

Yes I am "Safely Removing" hardware when ejecting the device.

I have tried different USB cables. I have tried this on Win 7 & Win 10.

I doesn't matter what slot is selected I get the same result.

Is there anything else I can try? Anything I have overlooked?

Dear groundtrooper,

Sorry for the late reply (I have a health problem :( ).

I have already studied your dump and I can confirm that the burner is working properly, but there is an odd problem with the card. I will send you another one this week.

Nevertheless I would like to further troubleshoot the problem with that card, so... may i ask you to send it back to me? Of course, I will pay the posting cost.

• Like 1

Dear groundtrooper,

Sorry for the late reply (I have a health problem :( ).

I have already studied your dump and I can confirm that the burner is working properly, but there is an odd problem with the card. I will send you another one this week.

Nevertheless I would like to further troubleshoot the problem with that card, so... may i ask you to send it back to me? Of course, I will pay the posting cost.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry you are not feeling well.

Yes I can return this other cart to you .

I will send you an email to get the address and anything else you might need.

Thanks again Juan!

Off topic, but can anyone point me in the right direction for some label making software? I've been searching the forums, but haven't come across anything and would like to add a label to my Multi-Cart.

Where you able to get a label designed? I finally got around to dremeling a shell for my cart and need a nice label for it now. :)

• Like 1

Where you able to get a label designed? I finally got around to dremeling a shell for my cart and need a nice label for it now. :)

I never was able to get the label to come out correctly. But I also wasn't able to spend time too much time trying, due to work. I'm sure its something wrong that I'm doing and need to get back to it,

I redid my v3 cart today and by removing the extra set of interposers, The cart will fit into a standard case with only some light dremeling required on the ends to allow the cart edge to come out. I took an old PP2 and with some graphics work I now have come up with this:

7800 16in1 2

7800 16in1 5

7800 16in1 6

7800 16in1 4

• Like 2

NICE!!! This is what I would love accomplish with my V3 replacement when I get it.

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does this mean? And how do you do it.

I redid my v3 cart today and by removing the extra set of interposers,

Also when I click on your picture thumbnails to make them larger I get an error that says "You Don't Have Permission To View This Image"

Also do you mind sharing the template or the final design with us?

I made the gallery that the pics are in public so you should be able to click on them to enlarge them now.

What I meant about the interposers was that if you look carefully at the other v3 versions, you will see that there is an extra set of connectors for the backback or small daughter board that we were having to cut out half of the top shell to make room for. I carefully pulled the backback board off, and then desoldered that extra row of connectors. After that, I soldered the backboard board down onto the main board and this allows enough clearance for the nearly the entire thing to fit in a cart shell. Of course the top has to exposed so you can connect the burner module to it to add games and to allow access to the flash bank selector switch and 128/144k switch.

No problem on sharing my label. I made up both the full size cart version that you see in my pics, and a smaller half cart version for those that have already cut their carts. I also have the actual PSP files from Paint Shop Pro with all the layers intact if anyone wants those they can send me a PM.

Standard cart size label:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amj5qgc7cdpjxuz/Mateos_7800_Label.png?dl=0

Smaller label for hacked up carts with V3 boards in them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmlx77sn9k5v4oy/Mateos_7800_SM_Label.png?dl=0

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 2

I made the gallery that the pics are in public so you should be able to click on them to enlarge them now.

What I meant about the interposers was that if you look carefully at the other v3 versions, you will see that there is an extra set of connectors for the backback or small daughter board that we were having to cut out half of the top shell to make room for. I carefully pulled the backback board off, and then desoldered that extra row of connectors. After that, I soldered the backboard board down onto the main board and this allows enough clearance for the nearly the entire thing to fit in a cart shell. Of course the top has to exposed so you can connect the burner module to it to add games and to allow access to the flash bank selector switch and 128/144k switch.

No problem on sharing my label. I made up both the full size cart version that you see in my pics, and a smaller half cart version for those that have already cut their carts. I also have the actual PSP files from Paint Shop Pro with all the layers intact if anyone wants those they can send me a PM.

Standard cart size label:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amj5qgc7cdpjxuz/Mateos_7800_Label.png?dl=0

Smaller label for hacked up carts with V3 boards in them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmlx77sn9k5v4oy/Mateos_7800_SM_Label.png?dl=0

Thanks a lot. Wow they turned out really good. I was trying to do a similar thing with boxed images, but I think game screen shots work a littler better.

Froggie with POKEY sound, named Froggie.32P works 100%. Played into the 3rd level.

I was using a custom, but 7800 wired, Joystick.

I mentioned this before, but naming the same ROM .32K will give the TIA sound.

It sure does. :) I also have Pac-man 320, Ms. Pac-man 320 and Pac-man Collection (pokey version) and the Beef Drop demo runing with POKEY on my cart.