IGNORED

Atari 7800 Rewritable Multigame Cartridge

vectrexroli

Finally I had some time to put the Atari 7800 Multigame Cartridge into a proper case, was much easier than with the Videopac/Odyssey2 cart.

I also put a Pokey sound chip in the cartridge, so the one I bought from Lotharek / Poland seems to work fine, I have both music and sound effects in Commando and Ballblazer.

http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=136

The nice looking Atari 7800 logo on the label I have stolen from the Web: www.gameex.info/…/top…/12408-logos-banner-logos-the-revenge/.

post-26204-0-45153300-1468511438_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-03486800-1468511585_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-17955000-1468511594_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-20345100-1468511600_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Finally got a chance to try the cart. It works great. Thank you for making this.

I note it does take a while for the selected game image to load. Just have to be patient. Cart is working fine.

Again, thank you.

How long does it take for a game to load? Once loaded does the game behave as if it where the original cart?

How long does it take for a game to load? Once loaded does the game behave as if it where the original cart?

I didn´t measure if it is exactly like the original cart, but I don´t see much of a difference. I switch it on and the game starts on my PAL console.

The games seem to behave normal from what I can tell.

Edited by vectrexroli

i've found the cartridge loads games after a small delay on my NTSC console...
and loads instantly on my PAL console...
just the same as genuine carts... ;-)

i have had trouble with a few games not loading though... Dark Chambers (USA).SG, Food Fight (USA).32K for instance...
could someone else please try these?
i'm using roms from the no-intro set, which don't have headers to start with, and i've renamed the extensions according to the chart, but no joy...

also, does anyone have any suggested extensions to use for the homebrew titles that are out there?

bobbi

I've been able to get both of those games to load.

It would be nice if we had a repository of games with the headers removed and the correct extensions. Not sure who would be willing to host that, though.

What homebrew games are you trying to get to work? So far, as long as I've followed the instructions on the site, I haven't had problems getting them to run.

See my post on page 3.

Mitch

Don't know how I missed that post before. So all of those are headerless and just need the filenames changed?

Still, would be nice to have a set with the extensions changed to work with this cart (I didn't see these on that page). I've already done this for all my files, but for those buying the cart, it might be nice to save them this step (and any associated confusion about the correct extensions).

Dear Walter, this is the information I get of your tracking code from:

http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/site/aplicacion-1349167812834-herramientas_y_apps/detalle_app-sidioma=en_GB

There has been some delay with the mailing service here in spain due to summer holidays.

11/07/2016 Pre-registrado

12/07/2016 Accepted

13/07/2016 Dispatch from the point of origin international office

Edited by jfmateos

well, further to my problem of Dark Chamber and Food Fight not booting, i tried some others and had the same problem with them, so i decided to try games i've previously loaded into other banks and that have worked fine, and they don't work either... so it looked like maybe the two banks i'd tried weren't happy with having games in them for some reason, which i can live with, a 14 in 1 card isn't a bad thing... however, i then tried to load a known working game into a bank that had a working game on it, and that won't load either... and i tried another bank, same result... another, same result... i'm now down to a 9 in 1...
so the games that i loaded onto the card when i first got it all still work, unless i've tried to write another game in any of the banks, and then the bank stops working...
can anyone offer a solution? the file looks to transfer fine, like i say i'm using the same games i've previously used that have previously worked fine, i've tried multiple computers but anything i try to load now isn't working...

Thank you...
test done...
i took two readings, one immediately after writing the file, and the other after cycling through the device removal routine and reinserting the burner, i know you didn't ask me to do this, but i was curious...
i used Ninja Golf (USA), the exact same rom file i've previously installed on a different bank and that i am still able to play... for the test, i used bank #1, on which you'd installed Choplifter before sending the card to me, so the bank worked fine up until it was overwritten...

the files you requested are here... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/54gr8m93qozy3rq/AABxglFKkQM79Av1wjJFhEEta?dl=0

bobbi

Dear Bobbi,

It is very odd: it seems that you are using NORTON antivirus, and this program creates a folder in the atari 7800 card named LIGHTNINGSAND.CFD... as this folder takes some of the rom space in the card, the atari 7800 cannot find the rom header and it defaults to Asteroid.

Please, could you try disabling norton antivirus or with a different computer?

Best regards

i'd already tried using a different computer (Vista 64) with the same results...
i tried disabling Norton, same results...
then, in a midst of frustration, i pulled the usb lead from the computer without going through the "safely remove hardware" routine... i swore at myself, but plugged the cart into my console anyway, and the game booted!... so, as an experiment, i selected another bank, plugged into the puter again, copied a different game over (the Dark Chambers that i was having trouble with), ignored the safe removal again and simply unplugged the usb lead, and again the game booted...
i've now filled all the previous non working banks with games, and all are loading and working fine... :)
so whatever my problem was, it seems it was being caused by something in the USB removal process...

very frustrating, but hopefully this might help anyone else who has similar problems at any point...
it's still very weird why the safe removal causes me problems, but i've found a workaround so i'm happy...

thank you very much for your time and patience Juan, it really is very much appreciated... :thumbsup:

bobbi

This is really odd...

There is "something" in your computer that creates a "LIGHTNINGSAND.CFD" subfolder and erases it twice when you eject the card.

You can see it in the following image:

5791a6b136690.png

I cannot find helpful information about this subfolder in the web... but it seems that other Norton users are also having problems with this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-files/corrupt-file-system-volume-information-sandcfd-is/7f1d23a7-123d-4457-867d-fddca59fa281?auth=1

Edited by jfmateos

hmmm, it is a little worrying... :?

i'll look into it more, but i'm wondering if norton is somehow using it to tag a drive as being checked clean, which is ironic if, in doing so, it's twatting the data that's in there...
i've obviously never noticed it before or had any problem related to it until now, but i suppose the way Juan's burner works is pretty unique...
(for the record, i've not had any problems with any of my other Mateos cards and i have one of each with the exception of the Gamate and earlier vectrex cards)

and at least i know that my 7800 card isn't faulty in any way, so yay on that score... :grin:

Okay no more complaints from people who got the first batch of the Atari 7800 flash cart from Mateos and how hard it was to modify their Atari 2600 case to make it fit.. it looks like I have one of the first of second batch (#17) of his revised board, and as you can see he installed a second Riser header to his daughter board that severely raises it to the point where it will not fit in an Atari 2600 cartridge comfortably unless you do some severe modifications to the case. so you early adopters ..... no complaints from you, although I think I like how it looks because you can see the different banking extensions you need but the minus is number one the board is exposed again maybe I'll make a plastic cover for it, the other is to select a game the switch is now much harder to turn then say the one you seen Vectrex Roli video. overall still like it, but maybe he did this for his easier assembly and production on his end. I bet Vectrex Roli's daughter board is soldered to the mainboard, where this one it is removable. so maybe it was easier for him in any case still worth getting just a lot more work to modify the case...now need a lable....

Just a side note.. in the instructions he states that he has some test runs on the cartridge already and to boot up and try them first to make sure everything is ok with the cartridge my guess is the Roms loaded were pal not ntsc as each one I tried did what would happen if you tried to load up a pal rom on ntsc Console the screen was simply going crazy once I put on good ntsc ROMs it works fine

• Like 1

Okay no more complaints from people who got the first batch of the Atari 7800 flash cart from Mateos and how hard it was to modify their Atari 2600 case to make it fit.. it looks like I have one of the first of second batch (#17) of his revised board, and as you can see he installed a second Riser header to his daughter board that severely raises it to the point where it will not fit in an Atari 2600 cartridge comfortably unless you do some severe modifications to the case. so you early adopters ..... no complaints from you, although I think I like how it looks because you can see the different banking extensions you need but the minus is number one the board is exposed again maybe I'll make a plastic cover for it, the other is to select a game the switch is now much harder to turn then say the one you seen Vectrex Roli video. overall still like it, but maybe he did this for his easier assembly and production on his end. I bet Vectrex Roli's daughter board is soldered to the mainboard, where this one it is removable. so maybe it was easier for him in any case still worth getting just a lot more work to modify the case...now need a lable....

Just a side note.. in the instructions he states that he has some test runs on the cartridge already and to boot up and try them first to make sure everything is ok with the cartridge my guess is the Roms loaded were pal not ntsc as each one I tried did what would happen if you tried to load up a pal rom on ntsc Console the screen was simply going crazy once I put on good ntsc ROMs it works fine

post-40453-0-17829900-1469215330_thumb.jpg

post-40453-0-17803800-1469215445_thumb.jpg

post-40453-0-32127900-1469215617_thumb.jpg

• Like 1