IGNORED

Portable C64?

7800fan

What would be a good way for portable C64? The SX is a huge and heavy beast and it was never designed to run off battery so that's out. PSP can run but no keyboard accessory was released and too many games needed keyboard to do anything so it's not practical.

I was wondering about Pi, how well does it emulate C64? Maybe a portable model with lipo batteries and using SX keyboard rather than more common USB keyboard as some keys don't line up right on non Commodore keyboards.

I am aware of that Indie-No-Go funding for new C64 and new handheld SX, no actual working proto is shown and it uses flexible funding which mean the creator could still take money and run even if the goal is not met.

I was wondering about Pi, how well does it emulate C64? Maybe a portable model with lipo batteries and using SX keyboard rather than more common USB keyboard as some keys don't line up right on non Commodore keyboards.

The older models of RasPi can run a build of VICE with some restrictions; if memory serves, they use FastSID rather than ReSID and i can't remember if it's a flat out 50FPS because i'm using an HDMI to VGA conversion on my original model B. i haven't tried the latest hardware (i think the RasPi Zero is more powerful than what i currently have!) but, if there's a build of the emulator, it should be better with all that extra CPU grunt.

Since actual SX-64 keyboards are a bit like hen's teeth to find outside of a SX-64, it sounds brave fitting one of those. Better use a regular C64 keyboard inside some sleek case and a fold-up display. Actually I believe this has been done a couple of times, including the various Ben Heck creations for inspiration.

I have two SX-64's and both have wonky keyboards (in fact, one doesn't work at all). If you did in fact re-purpose a working SX-64 keyboard into a portable solution I would hope the SX-64 goon squad comes and finds you. ;-) These are indeed rare beasts, especially working.

I actually bought an adapter from Jim Brain (which I'll be reviewing on Armchair Arcade soon) that allows me to use the SX-64 keyboard cable and plug in a P/S keyboard. The problem of mapping is not an issue because you can just buy a set of Commodore 64 keyboard stickers and stick them on the appropriate keys on the keyboard. Of course I'd prefer a working SX-64 keyboard instead, but you can't have everything.

• Like 1

I just load VICE emulator and paste a C64 logo on my laptop.

Been thinking about installing VICE on my Kali netbook. Kali's pretty stable and VICE is light-weight. I could do penetration tests and play Last Ninja at the same time. Epic win!

The older models of RasPi can run a build of VICE with some restrictions; if memory serves, they use FastSID rather than ReSID and i can't remember if it's a flat out 50FPS because i'm using an HDMI to VGA conversion on my original model B. i haven't tried the latest hardware (i think the RasPi Zero is more powerful than what i currently have!) but, if there's a build of the emulator, it should be better with all that extra CPU grunt.

Vice is either 50 or 60 FPS depending whether you select a PAL or NTSC machine. There may be other refreh rate settings but I have not drilled down through each option and therefore can't say. Nor can I tell you if Direct3d or Direct Draw can be made to indirectly force a different rate.

PAL or NTSC. That pretty much covers all the bases.

Vice is either 50 or 60 FPS depending whether you select a PAL or NTSC machine.

Well, i was talking about what i personally had run on a RasPi, i've never used NTSC in that environment (i rarely use it when running VICE on Windows either) so couldn't comment on it. But i was as much referring to the emulator dropping frames as refresh speed, VICE can do that but it's hard to tell if it's enabled when pushing the output through a HDMI to VGA converter.

Nor can I tell you if Direct3d or Direct Draw can be made to indirectly force a different rate.

It probably can't on a Linux-based system...? But the RasPi outputs composite so presumably it's dishing out something a television can deal with, even if VICE isn't necessarily synchronising to it.

To those who are lined up by my house with pitchforks, barrels of tar, and bundles of feather rest assured the SX keyboard will not be harmed. I have one with a semi-working 64 SX (bad RAM controller) and if I was going to make portable C64, it would have worked with a plug to connect to the keyboard.

I wanted C64 style keyboard because PC style keyboard is a bit different. Some graphics are in different keys such as quote marks (shift-2 on C64, next to enter key on PC) and I keep forgetting where RESTORE and CRTL is hiding. Plus I like F keys on the right side, most PC have them on top. And lastly, PC keyboard never feels right. :P