IGNORED

Opinions on upgrades and mods

Bikerbob

You can put the desired ROM and UFLASH on a FAT formatted CF card and launch from the XEX loader.

Regarding boot issues: disable the PBI BIOS in XL mode (system is attempting to boot from a SDX formatted partition with no bootable DOS), or point the boot drive at a bootable partition.

Edited by flashjazzcat

You can put the desired ROM and UFLASH on a FAT formatted CF card and launch from the XEX loader.

Regarding boot issues: disable the PBI BIOS in XL mode (system is attempting to boot from a SDX formatted partition with no bootable DOS), or point the boot drive at a bootable partition.

I'll try that. It's just that that experience so much differs from the Ultimate.

Seems to work now. Except that it now ignores the boot flag in one partition and tries to access a non existing D1:

You'll note that the boot partition may be explicitly set in the HDD options of the PBI BIOS menu now. One option is "Disk", which rather obliquely means "use the boot flag on the disk". Presumably the option currently has "D1:" next to it? Things work just the same way with U1MB.

The remaining issue is the hanging cold start. Any suggestion?

Cold power up causes a partition table read, so maybe that offers clues? Does a partition table re-read in other circumstances (using FDISK or selecting "Undo volume mounts" in the XEX loader) also cause a lock-up?

Edited by flashjazzcat

You'll note that the boot partition may be explicitly set in the HDD options of the PBI BIOS menu now. One option is "Disk", which rather obliquely means "use the boot flag on the disk". Presumably the option currently has "D1:" next to it? Things work just the same way with U1MB.

I'm feeling dump right now because you probably already told me for the Ultimate..

Cold power up causes a partition table read, so maybe that offers clues? Does a partition table re-read in other circumstances (using FDISK or selecting "Undo volume mounts" in the XEX loader) also cause a lock-up?

I should have been more precise. The problem arises only on system power up, not on every cold start. But I have to add, that, when powered up the 800 for the first time today, I got the boot screen immediately.

After that, I get the blank, brown I-have-no-ROM screen, and a press on Reset gets me the boot screen.

Edited by JoSch