IGNORED

Ti99/4a joystick port

foxtrot

Are there any proven work-arounds/hw mods for the weak joystick port? I remember reading something here a long time ago about not enough current and the alpha-lock key but can't recall the details.. The joystick doesn't seem to respond at times, I seem to recall having this issue back in 1982 when my parents bought the ti99 for us. So this isn't an age related issue and is probably an inherent design issue.

First off, be sure you are using the joystick port and not the cassette port it's the one on the left side.. the cassette is on the back

Second are you using the TI joysticks? or an adapter and atari-compatible joysticks?

The TI joysticks are unreliable and hurt your hands. They used foam and mylar to make a connection that wears out and was pretty much flakey out of the gate.

If you don't have the adapter and a good joystick that's probably most of your issue. Here's how to make one: http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/hardware/cables/joystick.html

I recommend the Wico Bat Handle joystick but everyone has their favorites..

The alpha lock issue blocks the UP movement on joysticks if alpha lock is on. Easy to fix, just turn it off. Or you can add a diode to your keyboard if you are good with a soldering iron. http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/console/alpha_lock.html

Greg

First off, be sure you are using the joystick port and not the cassette port it's the one on the left side.. the cassette is on the back

Never thought I'd see the day where this needed to be explained, but here we are! :rolling:

Doesn't help that TI didn't indicate ports though. Same with some of Commodore's machines, but at least with them, little harder to get tripped up I guess - due to the pinouts.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the response.

I currently have the wico adapter (and one other) and Atari compatible joysticks. It just seems that the joysticks aren't super responsive.

I don't have that problem at all with any of my machines.. I wonder if there's dirty connectors or possibly a bad console.. Do you have another machine to try?

Greg