IGNORED

My new storage solution

So, after 16 long months of trying to sell our house in a very down market so we can buy a new house in the town we live in now, my family finally have a new house. That means after 16 months in storage, my collection finally came back out into a new game room. Within a few days of moving, my uncle mentioned he had a shelf we might have a use for that he picked up when some office or other closed.

The second my wife saw it, she earmarked it for my game room and had the perfect idea for it. Again, stuff like this is why I love her.

So it's a big, very heavy literature rack, with flip up shelves. I have a random assortment of gaming stuff on the literature parts, and my various collections and controllers inside. It is exactly what I have always needed for stashing my collection in an organized way. Anyone ever sees one of these being thrown out from a government office or a library, you should really consider picking it up.

post-5952-0-13940300-1462012038_thumb.jpg

post-5952-0-47631300-1462012043_thumb.jpg

post-5952-0-75773900-1462012047_thumb.jpg

post-5952-0-55757400-1462012080_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

If anybody is seriously looking for such a thing, they are available from Bodart (a library supply company):

http://www.shopbrodart.com/Library-School-Furniture/Shelving-and-Bookcases/Periodical-and-End-of-Range/

Governments rarely throw out anything that could be considered an asset; old furniture is usually sold through surplus sales/auctions. That said, in 15+ years, I have never surplussed any shelving like this -- it is just too useful.

Edited by jhd
  • Like 1

Nice.

I'd like something that's modern but isn't some cheap walmart looking bookcase like most people have. Maybe something metal? Still looking. I have a few stacks of games and accessories that could be better showcased than they are now.

Nice job though, and kudos to you... another guy with a wife who actually supports her husband's hobby. Nice to see, a lot of guys on this forum don't have the luxury we have :).

Wow, this is an awesome storage solution. I'd love to be able to display my books like that, then flip them up to reveal my actual games.

Yeah, the books need to be more reflective of my collection now. I need to get some old Atariage magazines and spread those out there, while putting the videogame collector magazines in a small stack to one side I think. I would also like the next volume of Classic Home Videogames for the top shelf there, and some more of those "How to win at..." old books. Right now, it's just kind of a pile of whatever I had on hand. I also have a big pile of manuals, but am afraid if those were out, I wouldn't be able to trust my kids to use the room (right now my youngest really, really likes Atari 7800 and 2600 games).

Nice.

I'd like something that's modern but isn't some cheap walmart looking bookcase like most people have. Maybe something metal? Still looking. I have a few stacks of games and accessories that could be better showcased than they are now.

Nice job though, and kudos to you... another guy with a wife who actually supports her husband's hobby. Nice to see, a lot of guys on this forum don't have the luxury we have :).

Yeah, if she wasn't supportive I wouldn't have married her. She's always been cool with it, and often more than cool. She has thousands (plural) of hours into various Animal Crossing games herself, and as a result, has her own 3DS had her own DS, and insisted on us having the original Wii, so she understands better than most. She has also never really protested more systems coming into the home, although I do try to be reasonable on the number of systems these days. She got me a Retron 3 last year for my birthday, agreed to a Wii U out of the previous year's tax refund before that, and a PS Vita TV and PS+ this past Christmas to help me with the fact that my collection was mostly all stored away. One in several million for sure.

Edited by Atarifever
  • Like 1