IGNORED

Paddle question

Room 34

Someone once described how to clean paddles, and they mentioned that the top disk on the paddle can be pulled off, exposing the actual moving part inside which can then be cleaned.

I seemed to recall at that point that the paddles that came with my 4-switch woody in 1982 could not be taken apart in this way, but I couldn't verify it because those paddles were long-since deceased, and the only ones I had were some Gemini copies that absolutely could NOT be disassembled in this way.

Then I bought a mint 6-switch Sears console on eBay last year, and it came with a pristine set of joysticks and paddles. I noted that these paddles COULD have their tops pulled off easily.

Then I bought another set of paddles on eBay. They are Atari-made and look identical to the ones that came with the 6-switch, but like my original 4-switcher's paddles, CANNOT have the tops removed.

Can anyone confirm my observations? Did Atari start out making the paddles where you could remove the top and then, at some point (possibly when they went to the 4-switch, since my 6-switch was manufactured in 1981 near the end of its run) changed the design?

Thanks...

Actually, some of the paddles had a metal clip to keep them on securely, IIRC. You should be able to tug hard on those to remove the top.

Of course if you damage your paddles, I'm not responsible.

:D

Am I stooopid or just ignorant?

I have not ever cleaned paddles before because I've not needed to yet but on mine there are screws on the base, surely you undo these. If you just pull the knob off you won't expose anything or will you?

I am sure someone on here knows.

Am I stooopid or just ignorant?

I have not ever cleaned paddles before because I've not needed to yet but on mine there are screws on the base, surely you undo these. If you just pull the knob off you won't expose anything or will you?

I am sure someone on here knows.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21004

Archived