IGNORED

Cartridge ROM/GROM image cleanup

mizapf

Hey guys. I linked to a MBX.zip file a couple times now in another thread that has the pure dumps of most of the carts :-)

Directly from Michael Becker..... If I recall correctly, the disks have the original dumps on them as well as replacement cart headers and source code for a HSGPL.

Oh, they're all suffixed with "GRM"? Well, then I will have another look. I would not expect a ROM image in a file named that way. :)

Anyway, thanks so far.

All PC99 (ROM) files are suffixed with GRM, and the rest of the filename is my own invention so I knew what to do with each one, so don't get hung up on the naming.

Edited by Tursi

@Fritz442: Would you mind picking up your multimeter once more? Or anyone else? I'd like you to check the connections as shown below:

- orange lines (starting at the rightmost circuit, pins 1, 4, 10, supposedly going to the ROM. Where do they end?

By the way, these three pins are fed by three flipflops, one for each of the last three bits. This means that the mapper could work with values 0-7. It depends on the rest of the board what values are acceptable.

- magenta pins: where do they come from?

- yellow line: where does it end?

Also, to determine the kind of ROM on the board: Could you figure out the address bus and data bus lines? I guess the pins 11-13 and 15-19 are the data bus, and address lines are on pins 2-10 and 21 and 23-27. You can check the data bus most easily against the GROMs (left side, pins 1-8). The address bus is on the connector, pins 8-30 on top and pin 23 (bottom)

Strangely, if that were the case, the address line A14 would be locked to Vcc (1). Could you have a quick look at the other cartridges whether pins 27 and 28 are always bridged? (Note that TI numbers the busses in the opposite direction, so A14 on the ROM is the 2^14 line (corresponding to TI's A1))

Thanks!

post-35000-0-86685500-1463158287_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

@Fritz442: Would you mind picking up your multimeter once more? Or anyone else? I'd like you to check the connections as shown below:

- orange lines (starting at the rightmost circuit, pins 1, 4, 10, supposedly going to the ROM. Where do they end?

By the way, these three pins are fed by three flipflops, one for each of the last three bits. This means that the mapper could work with values 0-7. It depends on the rest of the board what values are acceptable.

- magenta pins: where do they come from?

- yellow line: where does it end?

Also, to determine the kind of ROM on the board: Could you figure out the address bus and data bus lines? I guess the pins 11-13 and 15-19 are the data bus, and address lines are on pins 2-10 and 21 and 23-27. You can check the data bus most easily against the GROMs (left side, pins 1- 8). The address bus is on the connector, pins 8-30 on top and pin 23 (bottom)

Strangely, if that were the case, the address line A14 would be locked to Vcc (1). Could you have a quick look at the other cartridges whether pins 27 and 28 are always bridged? (Note that TI numbers the busses in the opposite direction, so A14 on the ROM is the 2^14 line (corresponding to TI's A1))

Thanks!

Hey Michael,

I have a Bigfoot cart that is inoperable, give me till this weekend and i'll snatch all chips off there and post pic. ;-)

OK, now this is some GIMP work on your photographs with both sides aligned over each other.

The ZIP file contains the GIMP file (can't upload XCF ... I don't really understand this whitelist hassle; blacklist would be enough) with two layers, and the JPEG is reduced to a single layer, where I overlayed the other layer with a 50% transparency.

pcb_mbx.zip

post-35000-0-94043300-1463247799_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

And the second order of the day would be to capture the person who locked us in the basement and put them down there--with a much better lock. ;) Then the rest of us could go out, have a few beers, and design some really neat stuff together. . .sort of like we do at the Chicago Faire already. :) :) :)

• Like 5

Great ... with Flottmann1's assistance we now have fresh, verified dumps of all MBX cartridges, replacing the hacked versions. Some of these carts only work with the MBX console, but I have one here on my shelf (thanks to Ksarul!), and maybe I'll find some time to analyze it and to create an emulation in MESS. Don't worry, the hacked versions will stay available as RPKs.

There will be lots of ROM changes with the next MAME release for the TI family. When you upgrade, you'll have to download a new set of ROMs. I already uploaded them to WHTech as ti99_complete.zip, and I'll post another heads-up here shortly before the release.

Talking about RPKs, I'm planning to add a new XML layout file to the RPKs which is fully compatible to the internal MAME softlist. Eventually, it will replace the current layout.xml, but this may take some more time, possibly the release after the next one. The new format is more flexible than the layout.xml, and better structured, so there is no reason to stick with layout.xml. For some transition time, both formats will be supported.

• Like 5

If someone of you has the Popeye cartridge and can open it (without excerting major force), could you tell me whether it has GROMs and how many? The dumps that we have seem to be far too big (lot of stuff supposedly not belonging to it).

The Parker Brothers cartridges all have a pair of strange little chips in them that act a bit like GROMs. They are what give you the menu selections and the other static cartridge data (according to the documentation that was posted here a couple of years ago, and Parker Brothers called them CROMs, IIRC). There is also a picture of a Popeye cartridge board in this link. The guy mangled it to create a donor cartridge for his Java Grinder software on the TI. . .

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 1

Looking at these gives me an idea. I think I shall take the giant box of cartridge boards I have leftover from the various homebrew cartridge projects and take pictures of the top and bottom of each board variety that I have for every cartridge type in the box. That will create the beginning of a nice virtual reference set for cartridge boards.

Maybe we can upload a copy of such a gallery to Ninerpedia? :)

Who do I talk to about fixing Nnerpedia?

QUOTE "Note: The use of the REDO key was removed due to restricted buffer space."

RXB 2015 E has the REDO Key and I fixed this issue with buffer space and CALL USER by manipulation of priorities.

So works just like normal XB or RXB CALL USER.

Just to remind everyone here on the forum, Ninerpedia is a Wiki, and anyone caring for a good presentation of important facts and particularly of the own work is cordially invited to log in and add some text.

The information about RXB is, indeed, a bit terse.

@Rich: I just added the above line to the article as you suggested.