IGNORED

Brand new 5200 and 7 unopened games!

Jay94100

Hello!!

Just joined this site because I have recently acquired my first Atari! At a church rummage sale I was searching through a shed when I was told the items in there weren't forsale yet as they had not been tested to see if they work. (Tvs and radios ect) I spotted an old Atari box with some games on top in the corner and offered $20 to take it home. The man agreed. While putting the box and games into my car I noticed Missile Command was sealed!! I took a look at the others and realized they were all sealed!!! I found that to be amazing but then my mind thought, "is the system itself new as well?" The box looked like it had been opened but I realized the glue holding it together was just old and dried out! After opening the lid I saw the system still in its unopened packaging plastic, foam, and all. Also inside was all the manuals and a sealed copy of pacman that came with the system.

Have I struck gold?? I bought the Atari wanting to play it but I'd feel guilty potentially ruining this sealed piece of history! What's something like this worth to a collector?

The list of games is

Countermeasure

Missile command

Super breakout

Galaxian

Qix

Defender

Ballblazer

All sealed in there boxes

If you are a big collector and want to discuss this with me please contact me! I'm not sure if I want to sell it but I believe someone else would value this more than I would.

Thanks!

• Like 5

That's one awsome find. Is it a 2 port or 4. As for what to do with it. I say crack it open have some fun. I'm one of those people who believe something like this is Supose to be played with. Having sealed games and systems just to collect dust I feel is a waist of a something fun. Unless you already have the one of the games and just want to have a sealed one as well is one thing. Leaving it all in box like that might as well use it as a big paper weight. I know this is just my opinion.

Using ebay, you might be able to sell the system for three or four hundred bucks or more as "sealed", but having opened the box might change that...not sure. Those sealed games should go for ten to fifteen bucks each.

After that, you can buy a used one, but realize there might be work involved with that route, including finding missing component(s). Of course, since the 5200 can be testy, even a sealed unit might need TLC after all these years.

Most of the games themselves (those you listed) are pretty easy to find and usually cheap if you're happy with the cart by itself.

Wow man, that's a good find!

If you're not a gamer yourself, definitely post the sale in the marketplace on this board so it could be picked up by someone that can really appreciate it! If I didn't already have two of them, I'd consider making an offer!

I wonder if it still smells like new plastic! Very cool!

• Like 2

I'm just wondering what's the story behind this, How does something like this happen? If the seller was a collector then he'd know it was worth a lot more than $20. Even the son of a collector would know something. How would something like this end up sealed all these years in someone's home?

Uh ... what is a church sale anyway?

I'm just wondering what's the story behind this, How does something like this happen? If the seller was a collector then he'd know it was worth a lot more than $20. Even the son of a collector would know something. How would something like this end up sealed all these years in someone's home?

Church sale is when the church sells off stuff that is owned\donated by the congregation to raise money for the church,

I was thinking all the same things! How could someone buy it new and not plug it in the second they got home?? I wish I knew more of the story. Too bad they don't have a carfax for video games

• Like 1

I was thinking all the same things! How could someone buy it new and not plug it in the second they got home?? I wish I knew more of the story. Too bad they don't have a carfax for video games

Christmas gift, that's one way.

If someone got my mother a 5200 when it was new, it would probably still be in her basement right now, unopened, right next to the CB radio. She's finally accumulated about 17 CDs, and is just learning how to use DVDs these days. Tech just not her passion.

If you decide to sell I would be interested in the system. I know that some new 5200 systems were found in Venezuela with the once rare Motorodeo and Ikari for the 2600. I don't know how many of those systems were found. I don't think that you will get much for the new games as none of those are very rare but combined they are worth more than what you paid!