IGNORED

The Intellivisionaries Episode 27 is up!

nurmix

There should be something in your mail box.

Why not post the pictures here.

Another excellent Intelivisionairies episode. I like the Mattel marketing game graphics that are way off the programmed graphics. Is this the one you guys were talking about on the test market box?

post-43287-0-36181300-1464621662_thumb.jpg

This one is taken from dealer catalog 73420-B ( http://www.intellivisionbrasil.com/Menu_Catalogos.htm). Its actually an early Triple Action. The racing game looks inspired by Night Driver. I guess you guys will be talking about dealer catalogs in another episode.

And there is trapping in hockey.

It was popular in the 1990s, not at all in the 1980s. It's hard to do in Intellivision hockey; one of your teammates is always out of position.

Can you post pictures of the test market box and system?

Edited by mr_me

Why not post the pictures here.

Another excellent Intelivisionairies episode. I like the Mattel marketing game graphics that are way off the programmed graphics. Is this the one you guys were talking about on the test market box?

attachicon.gifClipboard01.jpg

This one is taken from dealer catalog 73420-B ( http://www.intellivisionbrasil.com/Menu_Catalogos.htm). Its actually an early Triple Action. The racing game looks inspired by Night Driver. I guess you guys will be talking about dealer catalogs in another episode.

And there is trapping in hockey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_lNo5JWkRY .

It was popular in the 1990s, not at all in the 1980s. It's hard to do in Intellivision hockey; one of your teammates is always out of position.

Can you post pictures of the test market box and system?

Yep that's the Auto Racing picture Cmart and I were talking about. Weird that they would show that for Triple Action, since that picture dates back to the earliest box screen shots. Probably just grabbed it from a picture archive, knowing full well it wasn't going to look like that.

I'm sure Cmart will post pix of the system box.

As for 'trapping' in hockey... I don't recall seeing that strategy used much. And I've watched (and played) a lot of hockey. But based on the release date of the catalogs with the NHL Hockey description, I'm sure it was just a typo, and they meant 'tripping'. After all,, tripping is a key element of the Intellivision game.

Sent from my Intellivision ECS using Intelli-Tapatalk

Yeah, that video is probably the most extreme example of the 'trap'. I don't remember hearing the term used in hockey until Jaques Lemaire's New Jersey Devils in the 1990's. But the 'trap' in hockey really means any defensive strategy, and you can argue the trap has been around since the 1920s and hockey strategies, like fads, come and go. I'm sure its a typo like you say. But I wouldn't have been impressed with a game that highlights tripping. I'm thinking hitting was probably a word they thought of but they couldn't promote violent games didn't want to promote violence in hockey.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

As for 'trapping' in hockey... I don't recall seeing that strategy used much. And I've watched (and played) a lot of hockey.

... in walks the Canadian ...

If by "used much" you mean in actual professional hockey, then I'm afraid you might have missed a decade of the NHL. From around the mid 90s through the lost lockout season of 04-05, the neutral zone trap was a very common hockey strategy, and it was very effective. Most championship teams of the era utilized it heavily, and because of the rules at the time, it was very successful. The NHL radically changed their rules specifically to deal with it, because it was stifling the game and turning it into an unskilled snoozefest. Scoring was cut nearly in half. It was hockey's equivalent of the "dead ball era" in professional baseball.

But if by "used much" you mean in Intellivision hockey, then I'll give you that. It's not something that's possible in most hockey video games. Mostly because it requires constant co-ordination of 5 skaters at a time, something very few games have. And no one in their right mind would ever program an AI to do this, because it would make playing the game extremely dull and boring, just like it did to the real thing. And amateur players don't bother with it, because when we play hockey for fun - we play for fun. Not to win at all costs. Plus it requires a level of coaching and discipline that most amateur teams don't even come close to.

There's even a Wikipedia page about it (but clearly written by an American, because a Canadian would probably write 40-50 pages about how it ruined hockey for a generation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_zone_trap

Seriously, at one point you couldn't go 5 minutes without it coming up in conversation up here. It's starting to creep into the game again, and that screengrab was from a game where the opposing team basically sat back and said "you guys are gonna do that? Then to hell with you, we're gonna sit back and wait". No word of a lie, that otherwise meaningless game was the top sports story of the week up here when it happened. At its peak in the late 90s, it was basically all the sports media talked about up here. Well, that and wondering if we'd actually go 10 years without a Cup. Ah, such naivety.

But us Canucks are... just a wee bit obsessed with hockey, in case some of you weren't aware. :lol:

... out walks the Canadian with his unneeded and unwanted hockey trivia...

Yes the Devils of the 90's literally were the worst thing to happen to hockey. :) Knowing that, my EP27 comments reflected my knowledge that "trapping" was meant to be "tripping" although you can hear me initially speak of "defending" since I knew that trapping certainly wasn't an issue in hockey during the early 80's, which turned out to be an incredibly fun offensive decade.

Now, as for them highlighting tripping in the game, it was because it was a blast to do to it your buddy and doing so made that incredibly satisfying "thump" when he fell. :)

Yes the Devils of the 90's literally were the worst thing to happen to hockey. :) Knowing that, my EP27 comments reflected my knowledge that "trapping" was meant to be "tripping" although you can hear me initially speak of "defending" since I knew that trapping certainly wasn't an issue in hockey during the early 80's, which turned out to be an incredibly fun offensive decade.

In case anyone's wondering, there will be an entire podcast where cmart and I sit and talk hockey for 17 hours straight. It'll be called "PRGE live". Sign up for early access to this incredibly-demanded episode.

(I haven't actually listened to Ep 27 yet as it's being stockpiled for my summer cross-country drive, so I'm amused as all hell to hear this now)

• Like 1

What I find most interesting is the fact that by PRGE, the Intellivisionaires will have had a complete replacement of all three original hosts, and it will qualify under CRTC rules as "Canadian Content" due to all three hosts being Canadians.

The only sad note will be the funeral for Rick, who died riding his "bike" home from work...

• Like 1

... in walks the Canadian ...

... out walks the Canadian with his unneeded and unwanted hockey trivia...

Thanks, Freewheel. I didn't mean I wasn't familiar with the various defensive strategies employed in the NHL. I was referring to the specific 'extreme' example shown in the video - that I don't remember seeing a lot of teams taking it to that level often.

While parts of my mother's side of the family had roots in Canada, I don't claim to be a hockey expert when it comes to strategies - but hey, I grew up watching the LA Kings in the '70s when they were cellar dwellers and their key offensive strategy (excluding the stellar work by the likes of Butch Goring, Marcel Dionne and Dave Taylor) was 'dump and chase'. Their defensive strategy was pretty much Rogie Vachon, and some luck.

My only point was that I'm pretty sure the description of Intellivision NHL hockey was meant to say 'tripping', since that's a key feature of the game, and as you say, with the randomized (dumb) AI of your teammates, no real defensive strategy exists in the game, other than what you can do with your man - let alone 'trapping'... which makes me wonder if maybe the Kings coaching staff of the late '70s was playing Intellivision for tactics ideas?

Edited by nurmix

... I wouldn't have been impressed with a game that highlights tripping. I'm thinking hitting was probably a word they thought of but they couldn't promote violent games didn't want to promote violence in hockey.

That's a good point. Much like all the gambling games featured "simulated betting".

In case anyone's wondering, there will be an entire podcast where cmart and I sit and talk hockey for 17 hours straight. It'll be called "PRGE live". Sign up for early access to this incredibly-demanded episode.

(I haven't actually listened to Ep 27 yet as it's being stockpiled for my summer cross-country drive, so I'm amused as all hell to hear this now)

True story. We'll likely be charging admission as well....oh, and to watch you need to be able to drink and handle Canadian beer.

What I find most interesting is the fact that by PRGE, the Intellivisionaires will have had a complete replacement of all three original hosts, and it will qualify under CRTC rules as "Canadian Content" due to all three hosts being Canadians.

The only sad note will be the funeral for Rick, who died riding his "bike" home from work...

Lol! I'm pretty sure Rick will never let me host again. :)

...oh, and to watch you need to be able to drink and handle Canadian beer.

Canadian beer? In Portland? There are much better brews made locally in Portland than that.

I go to Canada once or twice a year, but I don't go there with a hankering for their beer.

I guess that scene from Canadian Bacon holds true that when John Candy was at a hockey game in Canada and is ragging on Canada, the whole crowd is ignoring him until he says "and their beer sucks, too" and the whole crowd riots against him.

Canadian beer? In Portland? There are much better brews made locally in Portland than that.

I go to Canada once or twice a year, but I don't go there with a hankering for their beer.

I guess that scene from Canadian Bacon holds true that when John Candy was at a hockey game in Canada and is ragging on Canada, the whole crowd is ignoring him until he says "and their beer sucks, too" and the whole crowd riots against him.

Lol! It's not about the quality, more the alcohol content. :) Portland has tons of great micro breweries, it was more a comment on the fact that most American beer forgets to add alcohol. ;) As an aside, have you tried Sleeman's Honey Brown when you were in Canada?
  • Like 1

Lol! It's not about the quality, more the alcohol content. :) Portland has tons of great micro breweries, it was more a comment on the fact that most American beer forgets to add alcohol. ;) As an aside, have you tried Sleeman's Honey Brown when you were in Canada?

Sleeman is not a brand I recognize. I recall from back in the day there was Shaftebury that made a honey pale ale. Not sure if they are still around. These days when I am in the Vancouver area I tend to go for something from Granville Island Brewing Co.