IGNORED

GP32 Atari 2600 Emulator Released

Albert

GP32_icon.gifFabrizio Zavagli has released the first public version of his new GP32 Atari 2600 emulator, called VCS32. Fabrizio's emulator is a port of Dan Boris' Virtual VCS with a few updates to further improve the emulation. The GP32 is a 133mhz machine with enough horsepower to allow emulators to run well on it, with a nice 320x240 resolution screen that allows the whole game area to be displayed. Additionally, you can easily download homebrew games and applications through USB to the console's memory (a standard SmartMedia card). For more information about VCS32, including a binary you can download if you're fortunate enough to own a GP32, look here.

Presumably there are also no PAL/NTSC worries to think about with it either? Trying it out on my GP32 as we speak :)

Tried out Berzerk and Sky Diver, both work fine. Sadly Space Treat won't get off the title screen (which is also corrupted)... this is using the ROMs here on AA...

Presumably there are also no PAL/NTSC worries to think about with it either?

GP32 has no NTSC/PAL issues for sure :)

About the emu, I've tested with NTSC roms..

This release is more of a test one to better plan on future development by checking on feedback, but it's pretty much complete anyway (menus, configs, etc.).

So feel free to complain if something's not right ;)

Greets,

Rasty.-

Cheers... so any idea why Space Treat didn't work properly (even though you said it had been tested in the doc file)? I get the title screen, which is partially corrupted... hold on... I'll get my digital camera and attach a picture of the screen so you can see what it looks like...

Pressing fire (button A) produces a strange noise, and a quick flick to a black screen and then back to the title screen. So any thoughts? I've tried lots more ROMs that had been listed (all downloaded like Space Treat from AA) and they all work...

post-986-1051453325_thumb.jpg

Cheers... so any idea why Space Treat didn't work properly (even though you said it had been tested in the doc file)? I get the title screen, which is partially corrupted... hold on... I'll get my digital camera and attach a picture of the screen so you can see what it looks like...

Ahh sorry about that!

Actually I've been testing Space Treat Deluxe on the emulator... the Deluxe edition has got several compatibility fixes for emulators.

I'll release the binary of Space Treat Deluxe quite soon so you'll be able to play it on the GP32!

The title screen will still be a bit garbled but the game will work :)

Thanks for the report,

Fabrizio.-

This is BRILLIANT work.

I just played a few rounds of Fishing Derby and Frankenstein's Monster, no troubles!

Bravo, Fabrizio!

Thanks!

Also, 2 more games I like will go on the compatibility list... nice ;)

Regards,

Fabrizio.-

Thanks!

Also, 2 more games I like will go on the compatibility list... nice ;)

Regards,

Fabrizio.-

I've been testing games out all day, I've now tested every ROM from A thru G... whew! Hard work but worth it, and who can complain about getting hooked on these games all over again?!

Fabrizio, please check your private messages!

Cool, Now I have a decent reason to get a GP32, especially considering in like 8 megs of space, you could have all the 2600 games ever made.

Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a 2600 emulator for GameBoy Advance? Of course, for the few games that actually have a higher verticle resolution than 160, it'd not fit, but most should.

I think I can safely say Fabrizio that if you keep improving this and get the compatibility rate up in the 80th percentile or higher, your software is gonna sell a lot of GameParks (I know I'd buy one). :D

Eheh.. Right now you can play quite a few classics (and newer games as well) on VCS32.. I'd like to improve speed so the collision issue would go!

I'd also like to mention that the other person working on a GP32 emulator (based on the same sources) also released a beta and you may want to check that out as well!

Compatibility should be very similar since we worked together on it, and possibly the 2 emus could become one not too far away in the future.

He's also been of great help with several things (like sound) and he's a skilled GP32 programmer...!

Regards,

Fabrizio.-

• 7 months later...

Hello Fabrizio,

i would like to know if there is an update of your emulator in sight?

I do play with VCS32 a lot and some games are not working - which is of course no critics at all. I think you did a great job on this! But is there any new version coming soon?

Slicer

• 1 month later...

Hi!

i would like to know if there is an update of your emulator in sight?

I'm sorry but for the moment there's no new version in the works :(

This of course doesn't mean the project is dead. I'm simply busy with other things, and dont' know when it will be resumed! When that time will come, I'll post here :)

Thanks for the support and ciao!

Rasty.-

Archived