IGNORED

Dead Atari 800XL

Just pull, clean and re seat all of those chips and make sure they are all in the correct sockets to get started since the memory was replaced

also... don't assume the memory you bought is good, I have bought memory and one or two chips were bad right out of the tube...

since memory was bad... next stop mmu and delay line

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I have just re-installed a U1M in an 800XL, replaced every 40 pin chip, and every TTL 74LSxxx chip. I swapped U1Ms with a known working one. Swapped all RAMS with known working ones. Reset line seems OK at 4.53V (IIRC). That should be plenty high enough to be considered a Logic 1.

And it still DOESN'T WORK!

This can be very frustrating...

Hang in there, We'll all get this sorted out eventually. :)

Alright, another update on this dead 800XL. I finally came across a fully-socketed, fully working 800XL and have have been swapping out chips. Swapping out the OS CO61598B-01 got me to a BASIC prompt, woo-hoo! Now to track down a replacement chip and see what happens next. O.o

--Tim

• Like 3

You can use a standard EPROM instead of the original mask rom, you just need to get it programmed.

This is one of those subjects I've become increasingly intrigued by, but 30+ years on since Atari's heyday, what EPROM burners/programmers should I look into to handle ROM needs for my Atari 8-bit family? Is there a preferred/favorite model, specifically, that can handle most (if not all) of the ROMs of the Atari?

--Tim

This is one of those subjects I've become increasingly intrigued by, but 30+ years on since Atari's heyday, what EPROM burners/programmers should I look into to handle ROM needs for my Atari 8-bit family? Is there a preferred/favorite model, specifically, that can handle most (if not all) of the ROMs of the Atari?

--Tim

You can use a standard 2464 eprom, but you will need a 2364 to 2464 adapter as the pinout is different. Save yourself the hassle and get the 2364 flash eprom replacement.

There's a small fee included in the price if you want them to program an image of your choice.

http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/ROM-EL-2364-FLASH-EPROM-Chips-(replacement-for-2364-ROM)-2339

Edited by shoestring
  • Like 1

You can use a standard 2464 eprom, but you will need a 2364 to 2464 adapter as the pinout is different. Save yourself the hassle and get the 2364 flash eprom replacement.

There's a small fee included in the price if you want them to program an image of your choice.

http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/ROM-EL-2364-FLASH-EPROM-Chips-(replacement-for-2364-ROM)-2339

Thank you for the follow-up, Shoestring, although I'd be more interested in being able to do the programming myself as situations arise. Ideally, being able to program my own BASIC or OS chips. That's why I'm wondering what a person would look for in today's marketplace that could handle 8-bit (e)EPROMs-- presumably via USB?

--Tim

Unfortunately I don't have an exact answer as I'm still using a very old EPROM programmer ( Micromaster LV48 ) which connects via the parallel port. It depends on your budget but I would definitely avoid some of the cheaper brands, you want something that can test ram chips and ttl series logic chips. The MCM68766 is pin compatible with the 2364 but you would be hard pressed to find something affordable that can program them directly. This is why you will need an adapter that will allow you to program them as a 2464 device, this is your best and most affordable route. The TopMax II would be one of my top choices if I were looking to replace my old one with, it's not cheap though!

Edited by shoestring

Unfortunately I don't have an exact answer as I'm still using a very old EPROM programmer ( Micromaster LV48 ) which connects via the parallel port. It depends on your budget but I would definitely avoid some of the cheaper brands, you want something that can test ram chips and ttl series logic chips. The MCM68766 is pin compatible with the 2364 but you would be hard pressed to find something affordable that can program them directly. This is why you will need an adapter that will allow you to program them as a 2464 device, this is your best and most affordable route. The TopMax II would be one of my top choices if I were looking to replace my old one with, it's not cheap though!

WHEW-EE!! I can see what you mean about not being cheap... OR inexpensive! O.o

--Tim

Just get a TL866CS. They won't do a 68766, but they're affordable and great for most newer stuff. Search here for my thread on the TL866 firmware upgrade hack to turn it into the more expensive 866A model.

Use a 2764 in an adapter.

Edit: Are we talking about BASIC or OS? I just saw your other thread. You only need a 68766 or a 2764 in an adapter if you are replacing the BASIC chip. The OS is a standard 27128 that is easily programmed with a TL866.

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1