IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

I played the Vol 1 last night for a bit. Only played a few games. Black Widow (works great with the analog sticks but already knew that because I had it in the Live Arcade) Atari 2600 Bowling, Miniature Golf. Circus Atari Yars Revenge, Adventure, These all seemed fine, Circus Atari I did terrible at, not sure if it was the control or just me out of practice. The control didn't feel bad, although I did adjust the sensitivity down. The presentation was nice, all the graphics are beautifully crisp, the menus easy to navigate, the online aspect is a great addition (although I haven't tried that out yet). I guess the biggest gripe, and I know it's been discussed a lot even before the release, is they should have just put everything on one disk. Even at 50 games this seems like slim pickings on the Xbox One. The little plastic plug and play Flashback units include more games these days so it's kind of a step backwards. I don't regret buying these, but do wish the powers that be hadn't split up the collection.

• Like 4

i've had a chance to try out both volumes on xbox 1.

gameplay:

=================================

all arcade games have a good translation, gameplay is similar to the xbox 360 ports in gameroom

the atari 2600 gameplay is also the same as in gameroom

graphics

the graphics for the atari 2600 are good.

the arcade versions also have good representation of the actual ones, however, since there are no options

for the vector games, you don't get the same feel for the phosphor glow, and other effects.

presentation

====================================

the menus, and marquees and graphics around the arcade games are all well done.

asteroids deluxe even has the backdrop which looks great.

options

=====================================

the 2600 games are fine, nice touch on explaining the options in words as you go through them

the arcade games are hit and miss, some have excellent options, including cheat codes (which is a surprise), others have barely anything

extras

====================================

the manuals are hit an miss, some are very poorly scanned and hard to read, others are ok.

leaderboards

unfortunately, only the arcade games have them, and not the 2600 games, unlike all of them in gameroom

controls

================================

overall, all the 2600 games are ok.

the arcade games are hit and miss.. some have settings to adjust.

most of the trackball games, are pretty poor..... and even spinner games are poor also....

OVERALL

========================

good presentation and good graphics on the 2600 games

the arcade games are mosly hit and miss.

i've noticed pretty low scores on all the arcade games leaderboards, and this is with a few hundred copies of it sold.

it's a pretty average compilation, and unless you use alternate controls (i will be trying it out with my own external trackball and spinners), don't expect very good controls.

for the price, unless you are a retro collector, this is your only option to get these games.

later

• Like 1

I bought physical copies at Gamestop. They were the last two copies of the game the store had.

I agree with most of what -1 had to say about the compilation. It would of been nice for some of the 2600 games to have high scores on normal/default modes, especially games like Yars' Revenge and a few others.

I would love a 5200/7800 compilation and a Lynx/Jaguar compilation even more. Online multiplayer for the Lynx would be amazing. The Lynx has some great multiplayer games such as Warbirds, Checkered Flag, Gauntlet: The Third Encounter, Volleyball, Hockey, Awesome Golf and a few others.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049
  • Like 1

I would love a 5200/7800 compilation and a Lynx/Jaguar compilation even more. Online multiplayer for the Lynx would be amazing. The Lynx has some great multiplayer games such as Warbirds, Checkered Flag, Gauntlet: The Third Encounter, Volleyball, Hockey, Awesome Golf and a few others.

Without revealing too much, I can say that the Atari Lynx is not really an option. There are only a few games in Atari's possession, and those are more or less duplicated on other platforms. We're working on several future volumes as we speak, some with Atari stuff, some completely without. If all goes well, those should hit around this same time next year.

@Bill Any news on the "limited release" Amazon product?

Sent from my non beer holding hand.

Still being worked on, so I can't see it making it until December at the earliest. It's a promising product with a great feature-set, but, as is inevitable for these things, some issues to overcome.

• Like 1

Grabbed the PS4 collections today. Still fiddling with the sensitivities to figure out what I like for the paddle/trackball games, but otherwise the controls are pretty solid.

My minor issues: the bullets on arcade Centipede are practically invisible, which is a bit of a problem. The 2600 emulator's sound is ever so slightly off too - I mostly noticed it in Bowling and Video Pinball. But I do like the vector display options and that you can even set fake scanlines on the 2600 games, and the "console" setup is fantastic. On the whole I'm pleased with it, even if two discs was an odd choice. Gotta support those classic compilations!

• Like 1

Bug!!! Playing missile command at2600 version on the xbone. The wave where the sky is yellow, the missiles are invisible... wtf!!

I recall the same anomaly occurred when playing the 2600 version of Missile Command in Atari Classics Evolved on the PSP. The game became practically unplayable at that point.

That also happens on my Nintendo DS (And DS Lite and 3DS XL) with the Code Mystics developed Atari collection that included it.

I think it's a color combination that just doesn't play well on modern non-CRT screens. I sometimes disable color though with the b&w/color switch and play it with a grayscale since it's much easier then to see on a tiny LCD screen. Give it a try here if they didn't disable that functionality. I've also had similar contrast issues with Adventure to a degree, but never enough to impact playability.

I find I don't mind since this is how I played these games for years. In fact I'm annoyed that I can't switch every 2600 game to b&w when I wish, and even mentioned it to Code Mystics once as something they should add in the future (Only those programmed originally with the functionality could be switched in previous compilations).

I should fire up the 360 and Atari Anthology via backwards compatibility mode soon, and see what happens on my LCD with Missile Command.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

on a happy note, tempest arcade on the xbox 360 now has invisible levels proper. on the gameroom and other versions (although i'm not sure about the original tempest)

the levels were rendered as white:

good catch on fixing this (although i can't get there without using the cheat).

later

Edited by negative1