IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

My question was not wether there would be any updates, but wether the disc alone will play without requiring any patches.

I don't know. I imagine like anything else, if you don't update at some point you can't do any of the online stuff or score achievements, etc.

I think what he means is that the disc runs without connecting online and installing a "day one" update. Someday when support is discontinued and the servers are shut down, they will become offline machines like any other "retro" console. Any new game installs will only have access to content that's locked into the disc.

I think what he means is that the disc runs without connecting online and installing a "day one" update. Someday when support is discontinued and the servers are shut down, they will become offline machines like any other "retro" console. Any new game installs will only have access to content that's locked into the disc.

I know. There's no way to answer that. It's still under development. I would assume the goal of every game is not to do that, but it's happened once or twice before, so I guess there's always a chance. Like I said in the previous comment, it's unlikely to be anything more than not allowing for the connected features if you don't update. With that said, if we take Sony and Microsoft at their words that they're just going to continually iterate their present platforms, it should be a good long time that the update servers will be present. So it may not be an issue in 10 or even 15 years out, although who knows 20 years out and beyond.

• Like 1

About a month ago I spent long hours downloading updates for the handful of PS3 games in my queue that I haven't gotten around to playing yet. I want to have the most recent version on the PS3 hard drive even if servers get disconnected, which will happen eventually. Mostly Little Big Planet and Ratchet and Clank series, plus a couple multiplats that never made it on Nintendo consoles, like Southpark Stick of Truth. I've yet to play it but I downloaded the mega-update so should be good to go when I get around to it. I have little interest in picking up a PS4 or PS4 Neo any time soon...

• Like 1

Perhaps back in the day, but [Pooyan] has made appearances in modern times in North America on the PS1, DS, and the previously mentioned Game Room app for the Xbox 360.

Pooyan actually saw quite a few 8-bit computer releases, but, unfortunately, no pre-Crash console releases back in the day other than for the 2600.

I thought I'd pop in and add that Pooyan was also available on the PS3, in PS Home, as an in-world playable arcade cabinet emulated by Code Mystics. Unfortunately, it was not one of the Konami PS Home cabs that was also playable in the PSV's Home Arcade app, so that release died with Home last year.

onmode-ky

• Like 1

i have the xbox collection and have played on my heavy sixer which i now miss and i can emulate but you know what? i want the achievements and to play online on my xbox one might do it on my pc to why not and if it means more classics and perhaps future titles from atari then it has my support

• Like 1

I still play all the different comps on my PSP. I had Atari Greatest Hits for Android but then the deal happened where the app wouldn't work in Lollipop & you had to prove you had bought it to get the updated app for free with the digital receipt which I know I didn't have anymore & couldn't justify paying $10 to get it again. There's always going to be a market for compilations like these. In the PSP/PS2/Xbox heyday I was sad Sega only made a Genesis collection & not an arcade collection.

Someone a few pages ago mentioned a Coleco comp but I don't see it ever happening. Colecovision & Donkey Kong are kinda synonymous & I don;t see Nintendo allowing it even if it is a 30 plus year old console version. That was one of the sticking points when the Vectrex Regeneration folks tried to do a compilation app few years back.

Someone also mentioned wanting a Midway collection which did come out on 360/PS3 but was kinda unimpressive. If anything I was kinda peeved Williams wasn't getting any kind of name credit for the collection,

Someone a few pages ago mentioned a Coleco comp but I don't see it ever happening. Colecovision & Donkey Kong are kinda synonymous & I don;t see Nintendo allowing it even if it is a 30 plus year old console version. That was one of the sticking points when the Vectrex Regeneration folks tried to do a compilation app few years back.

Someone also mentioned wanting a Midway collection which did come out on 360/PS3 but was kinda unimpressive. If anything I was kinda peeved Williams wasn't getting any kind of name credit for the collection,

If they do Colecovision, I think Bill already said that it likely would be paired with something else. And see the same company's Colecovision Flashback plug and play console for an idea of what the game list would look like.

As for Midway Arcade Origins, I loved it and still play it. It's unfortunate that more new material wasn't included and I missed several classics that appeared in earlier compilations that didn't make the cut this time around. But it was still over 30 classic arcade games with lots of hits, solid emulation, HD support, leaderboards, etc. Very good value overall with few emulation issues.

Hopefully we'll soon get Midway Arcade: Ultimate Edition or however they'd label it with those games, many of the earlier omissions that appeared on earlier Midway compilations, and a good 6-8 new additions to bring us up to an even 50 games. In fact think we might just get lucky since they've done emulation work recently that brought over 20 classic Midway games to the multiplatform title Lego Dimensions.

Not only did that appear on all three current gen consoles rather than just the 360/PS3 that Origins was developed for, but it also wasn't just a rehash of that collection's content. Hard to imagine them making that investment just for a kids oriented game where few players would care, so there has to be something more cooking there...

Edited by Atariboy

If they do Colecovision, I think Bill already said that it likely would be paired with something else. And see the same company's Colecovision Flashback plug and play console for an idea of what the game list would look like.

As for Midway Arcade Origins, I loved it and still play it. It's unfortunate that more new material wasn't included and I missed several classics that appeared in earlier compilations that didn't make the cut this time around. But it was still over 30 classic arcade games with lots of hits, solid emulation, HD support, leaderboards, etc. Very good value overall with few emulation issues.

Hopefully we'll soon get Midway Arcade: Ultimate Edition or however they'd label it with those games, many of the earlier omissions that appeared on earlier Midway compilations, and a good 6-8 new additions to bring us up to an even 50 games. In fact think we might just get lucky since they've done emulation work recently that brought over 20 classic Midway games to the multiplatform title Lego Dimensions.

Not only did that appear on all three current gen consoles rather than just the 360/PS3 that Origins was developed for, but it also wasn't just a rehash of that collection's content. Hard to imagine them making that investment just for a kids oriented game where few players would care, so there has to be something more cooking there...

I did like the trailer for it

I don't understand why Nintendo would rather reissue NES carts instead of arcade titles. DK: Complete Edition still hasn't been released as a non-promotion stateside, but the arcade Donkey Kong would have been amazing! I'm sure they could release it if they wanted instead of the crappy NES ports...

• Like 1

I don't understand why Nintendo would rather reissue NES carts instead of arcade titles. DK: Complete Edition still hasn't been released as a non-promotion stateside, but the arcade Donkey Kong would have been amazing! I'm sure they could release it if they wanted instead of the crappy NES ports...

They're all about scarcity. Like Disney used to put their stuff in the "vault" every 10 years or so, until a new generation of kids came along. They might still do this. Maybe Nintendo is holding the arcade original Donkey Kong back for the NX launch.

Been waiting since 1985 for DK, DKJr, Popeye and other arcade games. Not since the Colecovision days. Once upon a time Nintendo was "cross platform". When it comes to old stuff I just cant see why they wouldn't just license it out or heck just let people use the games with a blessing. Wouldn't that be cool?

Been waiting since 1985 for DK, DKJr, Popeye and other arcade games. Not since the Colecovision days. Once upon a time Nintendo was "cross platform". When it comes to old stuff I just cant see why they wouldn't just license it out or heck just let people use the games with a blessing. Wouldn't that be cool?

Nintendo is in the market of selling hardware. If Nintendo IP were cross platform, people would literally have no reason whatsoever to buy their hardware. The day Donkey Kong or Mario Bros show up on Playstation, I'll know Nintendo is done making hardware. Just like when I saw a Sonic Adventure DX demo running on a Game Cube in 2002. I was like wuuut??? Sonic games on a Nintendo console... :P

Precrash, Nintendo were a 3rd party IP in the US like any other arcade company without a consumer division in the US. The Mario Bros and DK got "grandfathered" in on the 7800 due prior license agreements. The IP licenses were already paid for by Atari in 1984 for the planned 7800 launch. Atari would have been a fool not to produce them for the Atari, despite the superior ports simultaneously available on NES.

Nintendo is in the market of selling hardware. If Nintendo IP were cross platform, people would literally have no reason whatsoever to buy their hardware. The day Donkey Kong or Mario Bros show up on Playstation, I'll know Nintendo is done making hardware. Just like when I saw a Sonic Adventure DX demo running on a Game Cube in 2002. I was like wuuut??? Sonic games on a Nintendo console... :P

Precrash, Nintendo were a 3rd party IP in the US like any other arcade company without a consumer division in the US. The Mario Bros and DK got "grandfathered" in on the 7800 due prior license agreements. The IP licenses were already paid for by Atari in 1984 for the planned 7800 launch. Atari would have been a fool not to produce them for the Atari, despite the superior ports simultaneously available on NES.

To clarify, they weren't actually a third party because they didn't produce their own home games until the Famicom. They were technically a licensing company. I'm pretty sure that was the same deal with Sega, although unusually they did allow their games to appear on competing systems even after they released their own home systems.

Nintendo is interesting when it comes to modern day licensing. While they stopped allowing their properties on non-Nintendo systems (I believe the last was the PC and Mac software in the mid-1990s), they've been fairly aggressive with allowing their IPs to appear on non-game-related stuff. I guess depending on how well the NX does, that will determine how much they loosen their restrictions beyond their present iOS/Android initiatives, which even on its own was a fairly significant event in modern day Nintendo history. As it is, though, I would expect them to stay the course for at least the next few years.

• Like 3

I assume you mean they were like Namco, Taito, Konami, etc. They made arcade games, but other companies (Atari, Parker Brothers, Coleco, etc.) made the console ports. I can only think of a few joints that did both: Atari, Sega ...and even those were different divisions.

To clarify, they weren't actually a third party because they didn't produce their own home games until the Famicom. They were technically a licensing company. I'm pretty sure that was the same deal with Sega, although unusually they did allow their games to appear on competing systems even after they released their own home systems.

Sega was more like what we think of a modern third party today. On the Atari VCS, they did Congo Bongo, Star Trek SOS, Buck Rogers POZ, all of which were ports of their own arcade games. There were a few others according to the AA database. I think it's interesting that they got Spy Hunter and Tapper from Williams/Midway at the time.

• Like 1

Sega was more like what we think of a modern third party today. On the Atari VCS, they did Congo Bongo, Star Trek SOS, Buck Rogers POZ, all of which were ports of their own arcade games. There were a few others according to the AA database. I think it's interesting that they got Spy Hunter and Tapper from Williams/Midway at the time.

You're right, of course. Total brain-fart about Sega developing and publishing their own stuff. They did in fact do everything, from developing and publishing to licensing. Of course this was also a time when Atari, Mattel, Coleco, Magnavox, etc., all made games for the competition's systems too. Pre-Crash, things were definitely on the chaotic side.

• Like 3

You're right, of course. Total brain-fart about Sega developing and publishing their own stuff. They did in fact do everything, from developing and publishing to licensing. Of course this was also a time when Atari, Mattel, Coleco, Magnavox, etc., all made games for the competition's systems too. Pre-Crash, things were definitely on the chaotic side.

I recall it was Coleco that started going this route (making games for other consoles) after they made Expansion Module #1 & it pissed Atari off enough to do it right back to Coleco but Atari upped the ante by also making their games for non Atari computers as well.

• Like 1

I recall it was Coleco that started going this route (making games for other consoles) after they made Expansion Module #1 & it pissed Atari off enough to do it right back to Coleco but Atari upped the ante by also making their games for non Atari computers as well.

I'm not sure it really went down like that (do large corporations really get "pissed off" like individual people do?), but it certainly seemed that way to us as kids, too. They had the class to make good ports of their stuff, just like Mattel did with their Intellivision ports to Atari.

We also assumed that Coleco deliberately made crappy versions of their stuff on Atari and Intellivision to make their ColecoVision look better.

We also assumed that Coleco deliberately made crappy versions of their stuff on Atari and Intellivision to make their ColecoVision look better.

I saw an interview with Dan Kitchen on YouTube who said he wanted to do the elevator level in DK but Coleco said just stop with the two levels. I'm sure you're correct they purposely made their ports crappy in that it was a win-win for Coleco as either people bought the 2600 version & accepted it or bought the 2600 version & upgraded to Colecovision. Just had an odd thought. What if Coleco made games for the 5200 as well? What ports would we have seen?

Edited by H.E.R.O.

What if Coleco made games for the 5200 as well? What ports would we have seen?

Now that certainly would have never happened as both systems were competing at the time. I think every issue of EG back then had a topic on 5200 vs Colecovision LOL.

If it did happen I think they would slightly be different but not in a bad way, each would "feel" native to the system you were playing it on. Kind of like the versions of Parker Barker Bros. games on each system. Each game looked and played slightly different on each platform. As much as I love the CV there are games I prefer on the 5200 like Montezuma's Revenge for example. The CV version just never really looked right for me. Oh well, just my opinion, we'll never know.

By the way, I still think Atari 2600 HERO is the best version on any machine back then. I think its the square colored cave walls or something....

Now that certainly would have never happened as both systems were competing at the time. I think every issue of EG back then had a topic on 5200 vs Colecovision LOL.

In a way we DID see Coleco create something for the Atari 5200. The ColecoVision's WarGames was ported to both the C-64 and Atari 8-bit (it was a flippy disk in a single package). I suspect we would have seen Coleco produce games for the 5200 had the timing worked out better Crash-wise.

• Like 2

In a way we DID see Coleco create something for the Atari 5200. The ColecoVision's WarGames was ported to both the C-64 and Atari 8-bit (it was a flippy disk in a single package). I suspect we would have seen Coleco produce games for the 5200 had the timing worked out better Crash-wise.

It ended so suddenly. :(

Well....sort of, I kept playing on my C64 for another 3 or 4 years before getting a NESSS. When I saw how much better Ghosts n Goblins looked and that simple nintendo Baseball game, I think I was sold at that point.

Still remember first seeing those few black Nintendo boxes at Toys R' Us among all those computer games thinking "Nintendo must have a game console of their own" etc. Indeed.

• Like 2

It ended so suddenly. :(

Well....sort of, I kept playing on my C64 for another 3 or 4 years before getting a NESSS. When I saw how much better Ghosts n Goblins looked and that simple nintendo Baseball game, I think I was sold at that point.

Still remember first seeing those few black Nintendo boxes at Toys R' Us among all those computer games thinking "Nintendo must have a game console of their own" etc. Indeed.

I did the same going from Colecovision to C64 but instead of going to NES I went to an Amiga 500 & then Sega Genesis. Weren't Nintendo & Coleco in talks to bring the CV to Japan but couldn't agree on cost per unit? Who knows? Maybe the NES would have been the Colecovision II.

Edited by H.E.R.O.