IGNORED

Tano Dragon

BassGuitari

So I got a hookup on a NIB Dragon. As a fan of the TRS-80 Color, I think it's a pretty interesting system, being a US version of a Welsh cousin of the TRS-80 Color.

I haven't tried it out yet, so I don't really have any impression of it apart from the physical aspects of it. It does have a nice keyboard, and for some reason I like systems that have most of the connections on the side. It comes with a tape that's got some productivity programs as well as a few games, which I presume are all in BASIC (Dragon BASIC?).

It comes with a pretty nice set of manuals, with one for the system itself, a BASIC manual, and I think a manual for the productivity programs. I get the sense that the games on the included tape might have been added for the Tano release, or might otherwise have been an afterthought; while there's a very nice, professionally printed manual for the productivity programs, the "manual" for the games is two plain, xeroxed typewritten sheets stapled together.

To those of you who are more familiar with Dragon systems, what's the software situation like? I understand it's *mostly* compatible with the TRS-80 Color but that a lot of games had to be patched to run on a Dragon, and vice versa. Any Dragon exclusive titles I should check out?

• Like 1

The Dragon should have the same Microsoft Extended Color BASIC as the CoCo, though I think you may have to save BASIC programs in ASCII first (csave "program",a) to be able to load them into the CoCo and vice versa because of different byte codes for the keywords.

Lots of great games but most of them are in machine language (BASIC was slow), Grabber, FireCopter and TimeBandit are a few to try.

Cool Dragon site! :) I like the homebrew version of Gauntlet, looks like it makes good use of pmode3 with no slow-down like on the CoCo I/II version:

http://archive.worldofdragon.org/index.php?title=GLOVE

Cool Dragon site! :) I like the homebrew version of Gauntlet, looks like it makes good use of pmode3 with no slow-down like on the CoCo I/II version:

http://archive.worldofdragon.org/index.php?title=GLOVE

There is a CoCo version of that.

I have a hunch the original version you are referring to could be optimized a bit.

• Like 1

There is a CoCo version of that.

I have a hunch the original version you are referring to could be optimized a bit.

Definitely agree - and Dave did such an amazing job with the CoCo III follow up version that I'd bet much of that improvement was a result of the programmer getting a second chance to write the same game over again and not just the GIME.