IGNORED

Jaguar DOOM Source Code Released!

Albert

I did a search for WAD on the internet. I came up with things like WOMENS ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT etc. etc. but no WAD in this sense  I can easily find. Over the years the only understanding I have of what a WAD file is comes from trying to pull it from the context of discussions I hear or read or seeing stuff about it load up while playing Doom and Heretic. Such as something called 'refresh Daemon'.  

Can someone give me the FOR DUMMIES version of what a WAD file is please so I can be fully enlightened instead of having just a (vague) idea? :?

The WAD file is all the graphics and monsters and weapons and mazes all in a neat little file format id cooked up for easy use and modification with Doom. The actual Doom "program" is very small. The WAD file is where the content of the game is stored.

If you change a WAD file then you can make new levels and new graphics, etc.

for some reasons i am missing thunderbird :|

so whats up with the doom source? anyone still working on this?

regards,

Vyeyendra Ramnares

The WAD file is all the graphics and monsters and weapons and mazes all in a neat little file format id cooked up for easy use and modification with Doom. The actual Doom "program" is very small. The WAD file is where the content of the game is stored.  

If you change a WAD file then you can make new levels and new graphics, etc.

Reminder: The Jaguar WAD file format is different to the standard

one. Correcting the bugs and things is simpler than create a new

WAD, but ID will not allow a release of DOOM with their WAD in it.

This means a new WAD needs to be created, and this is not done.

for some reasons i am missing thunderbird  :|  

Unfortunately when the group, which is an open to anybody

development forum for Atari Jaguar, was created, Thunderbird

declined the invitation to join, repeatedly, because some other

people he did not care to identify were already in the group.

There was good reason for this, I am sure, it's just a sad fact.

so whats up with the doom source? anyone still working on this?

To my knowledge, nobody. I uploaded the NUON source code a

while ago, but all the enthusiastic people who wanted to work on

the source code seem to have found it too difficult in the end.

Matthias Domin has done the most, he uploaded new Makefiles

and bug-fixed startup sources, and built a new version. He wrote

all his findings to the group, but other people have not helped...

Cheers,

JustClaws.

What might happen if a bunch of people like in the Doom forum all contributed ideas and got DOOM + created, is there may be squabbles over who was owed what money and who deserved more of the profits or whatever when it was published. But this is just my thoughts on what MIGHT happen.

Matthias Domin has done the most, he uploaded new Makefiles  

and bug-fixed startup sources, and built a new version. He wrote  

all his findings to the group, but other people have not helped...

Wait a second. Are you saying Mathias has built an entirely new version of Doom for the Jaguar? Or are you talking about NUON? Whatever you are talking about in that paragraph, could you please elaborate?

Hello,

What might happen if a bunch of people like in the Doom forum all contributed ideas and got DOOM + created, is there may be squabbles over who was owed what money and who deserved more of the profits or whatever when it was published. But this is just my thoughts on what MIGHT happen.

Well to my knowledge, nobody in the group was trying to release a

commercial version. Songbird tried, and could not, so they opened

the source with ID permission to the community. Somebody could!

I think the ideal would be to release a 4MB ROM image of a new DOOM+

that could be used with an emulator, or which somebody could burn onto

ROM, or upload to a Flash ROM. Anybody can take the source and work

with it. The important thing is the restriction over avoid any ID WAD file.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Wait a second. Are you saying Mathias has built an entirely new version of Doom for the Jaguar? Or are you talking about NUON? Whatever you are talking about in that paragraph, could you please elaborate?

Firstly, if you are a member of the group, you can read his messages.

To compile and build the existing DOOM is the first step. If you can do

that, which we can, then you could modify the sources to make it work

in a different way. We are at that stage, but that's not anything new.

What is missing to make a new game, rather than a revised version

of the old game, is to create a new WAD file with none of ID's in it.

If somebody could do that in Jaguar format, we'd have a new game.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

• 4 years later...
Hmm I heard Carl has managed to compile to code to a working one so that could be done...

TXG/MNX

I've revived this old thread for two reason.

1.) To watch ZB get all pissed off. :D

2.) To ask a question Tursi and I have been wondering about: How are people in this community compiling the JagDoom sources without id's custom compiler that was lost?

Is it compiling 68k C Doom? How is it compiling?

How are people in this community compiling the JagDoom sources without id's custom compiler that was lost? Is it compiling 68k C Doom?

I haven't built the code for a couple years, but, yes, you can build the 68k portion of the C code. The RISC code is provided as a binary IIRC, so you can still get the entire game to run "out of the box."

Hello!

How are people in this community compiling the JagDoom sources without id's custom compiler that was lost? Is it compiling 68k C Doom?

I haven't built the code for a couple years, but, yes, you can build the 68k portion of the C code. The RISC code is provided as a binary IIRC, so you can still get the entire game to run "out of the box."

The RISC-code is provided in the shape of several RISC-assembler-files, which were (probably) produced by that mentioned special C-compiler. I am not sure if the corresponding C-sourcefiles for these mentioned assembler-files were part of the release, i don't think so.

Kind regards

Matthias

Hello!

The RISC-code is provided in the shape of several RISC-assembler-files, which were (probably) produced by that mentioned special C-compiler. I am not sure if the corresponding C-sourcefiles for these mentioned assembler-files were part of the release, i don't think so.

Kind regards

Matthias

So the only 'source' they released is the 68k code? Isnt there suppose to be more than that? Or maybe not. I dunno.

Hello!

Hello!

Kind regards

Matthias

So the only 'source' they released is the 68k code? Isnt there suppose to be more than that? Or maybe not. I dunno.

The RISC-assembler files i spoke about are sourcefiles, so we have sources for all parts of the DOOM-Jaguar- engine. It simply would be nicer if we also would have the (complete) C-sources for those RISC-assembler-files (the RISC-assembler-files are an intermediate product if you let a C-sourcefile run through a C-Compiler).

Kind regards

Matthias

• 1 month later...
Hello!

Hello!

Kind regards

Matthias

The RISC-assembler files i spoke about are sourcefiles, so we have sources for all parts of the DOOM-Jaguar- engine. It simply would be nicer if we also would have the (complete) C-sources for those RISC-assembler-files (the RISC-assembler-files are an intermediate product if you let a C-sourcefile run through a C-Compiler).

Kind regards

Matthias

Here's a youtube quote from some guy:

There's a DOOM Wiki article with sources from an interview with ID software that says the 32X,GBA,and PSX versions are all derived from the Jaguar port. The sources include an article from "VideoGames" magazine and an interview with ID software probably taken from the magazine.

id must be holding back the C sources because wouldnt the RISC assembler files be useless on any other system? Why would they hold back the C sources?

• 2 weeks later...

You could possibly take the RISC assembler and the original source from the PC which is widely available and come up with those C files. Really it isn't completely necessary to stay 100% with the Jag source. That is the great thing about having the source code. You can take portions of the jag stuff, portions of the PC stuff, and write some code as well. Or you could take the PC code and completely rework the code for the Jag in a more efficient way. There is definitely areas where the Jag version of Doom can be improved. I remember seeing an interview with Carmack where he talked about some of the things he could have done on Jag to make the port even better or it might have been some comments he made around the time the code was released. I will have to see if I can find it... maybe it is even linked to in this incredibly old thread somewhere.

You could possibly take the RISC assembler and the original source from the PC which is widely available and come up with those C files. Really it isn't completely necessary to stay 100% with the Jag source. That is the great thing about having the source code. You can take portions of the jag stuff, portions of the PC stuff, and write some code as well. Or you could take the PC code and completely rework the code for the Jag in a more efficient way. There is definitely areas where the Jag version of Doom can be improved. I remember seeing an interview with Carmack where he talked about some of the things he could have done on Jag to make the port even better or it might have been some comments he made around the time the code was released. I will have to see if I can find it... maybe it is even linked to in this incredibly old thread somewhere.

Yeah you could of course. You'd have to trim up the C sources to fit into the Jag again which is what makes getting ahold of the original C source kind of attractive. They've already done all the trimming and testing for size. And I think that's why they used the Jag version sources for the 32X and GBA because of the size and level trimming work already done to it. I think those 3 systems are pretty comparable when it comes to room for working in.

I did some poking around for GBA and 32x specific sources with no luck.

Even if we did find them we'd still need an appropriate compiler.

Archived