IGNORED

For the past week I've been working on beating Battletoads, no warps

You'll get it. I find that with a lot of the platforming sections on the final level, you have to bolt through them as quickly as possible. If you don't, the timing of the disappearing platforms in particular goes out of whack and it's becomes unpredictable to get through them. Unpredictable = death, predictable = success. Basically, when I roll through those sections fast, it's the same every time I play it (like the four vertical green disappearing platforms part), but if I wait or take it slow, I end up dying.

Finally making it to the Dark Queen with three lives and all continues and getting a game over. That's the f!cking worst. :(

At that point you just want to finally beat the damn game and get it over with.

Edited by mbd30

Now I have some idea of how to fight her. Just keep ramming her as she's coming out of her tornado attack and hope for the best? Some damage and lives lost almost seems unavoidable unless you're lucky. Might be a good idea to get to her with a decent amount of lives, but that isn't easy.

Use the ram attack two to three times in a cycle. Queen rises up the screen a bit every time you use the attack. Any more than two or three hits and you're probably going to get kicked and die. Tornado, don't bother trying to attack when she's in that form, just avoid it to the best of your ability. Rinse and repeat.

So I've made it to her twice tonight and lost. Last time because I got in a hurry and started attacking her too recklessly. A few more hits may have done it.

At least I'm getting much better at the Revolution. This is one of the more difficult stages to learn because it comes after so many other grueling stages. I've been getting there with over five lives, but what I need to do is get to the Dark Queen with over five lives.

Edited by mbd30

(Shameless self promotion)

This is how I do it:

https://youtu.be/MGh9KKEi6yA?t=47m20s

So can see where I try to attack more than a couple of times and I get punished for it. Don't punch at all, just use the headbutt/ram attack.

Hey, you know what would be interesting? You should try doing a let's play of the Famicom version of Battletoads on your channel like you did the Famicom version of Ninja Gaiden III. It's supposed to be different and easier.

Hey, you know what would be interesting? You should try doing a let's play of the Famicom version of Battletoads on your channel like you did the Famicom version of Ninja Gaiden III. It's supposed to be different and easier.

I've been meaning to do that but keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder! I need to track down the ROM because I don't think I have it.

I have the Revolution memorized to the point where it's easy for the most part, but I still haven't beaten the Dark Queen. Once again I made it to her with four lives and three continues and game over'd. I can hit her a number of times and she still winds up killing me. Sometimes I can headbutt her when she's near the ground or standing on the ground and sometimes when I try I get smacked. Sometimes I can't keep out of the way of her tornado. This _is_ the final boss to one of the hardest games ever, so I shouldn't complain too much.

One problem is that I still have trouble with the Rat Race. This is the stage that gives me the most issues. I have few or no problems with everything else. Sometimes I can beat the third rat race with a couple tries and other times it eats a bunch of lives or even continues. On my last run I beat Terra Tubes with like one death and then kept f!cking up on the damn rat. Fortunately I only died once on Clinger Winger so I still made it to the Revolution with a decent amount of lives to burn.

I guess I get stressed/flustered and I mess up my inputs. I'll miss the rat with a headbutt or accidentally punch instead of headbutt as the rat runs off. It's very aggravating. One little mistake or two and the rat gets to the bomb and you're dead.

Edited by mbd30

Keep practicing. :)

NOW I'm having a good run. I just beat third rat race on the first try and then no-deathed Clinger Winger including the boss, and I'm at the final level with a lot of lives. I should beat it now unless I really screw up.

And I did it without warps and without collecting a bunch of 1ups in stage 2. I actually never got the knack for hitting the birds for 1ups, but I did manage to collect two in this run.

I'm so glad that I beat the game for the first time without using any warps.

Congrats! I believe the first time I finished the game it was the same way--get destroyed a thousand times, then miraculously 1cc it after.

I had maybe seven lives going into the final boss fight. I was wondering how many more hits it was going to take as I kept hitting her and she kept killing me. And then she finally went down. It's one of first kills on a final boss that is so awesome when it happens... like finally beating Jaquio in Ninja Gaiden or the Joker in Batman for the first time.

I don't think I ever really had trouble with the Dark Queen. That prior stage though.. It was the bane of my existence for so long.

Now I 1CC it pretty much every time I play it, even after an extended break. The muscle memory is real.

Well, she isn't too terribly difficult. But her attacks are deadly and you're probably going to lose some lives on her unless you're really good. I see skilled players in Youtube videos dying to her. So it's tough to beat her with only three or four lives to spare. That's why I was having trouble.

I had a much better run the other night and lost much fewer lives. The more you beat this, the easier it gets.

Yep! The more you play it, the smoother the playthroughs go.

I wonder if I should try to beat the Sega Genesis version. It looks to be more challenging because of having to do all the snakes and not being able to knock the rat back with headbutts.

It is both easier and harder at the same time. Certain bosses are stupid easy, certain sections seem to be more forgiving. Other parts are trickier though, like on the final stage you can slip below the bottom of the screen by bouncing on the springs, killing you instantly. I recommend trying to play through it, if only to fully appreciate how awesome the NES one is in comparison.