IGNORED

Retro-Bit Generations

"SuperRetroBoy: A 3-in-1 handheld, single port gaming system that instantly plays classic Game Boy, GB Color, and GB Advance games."

I'm totally with you ... I think the GBA SP with the bright screen is a high bar to clear. I love its small size, perfect controls, fold-up screen, and long battery life. It also plays every GB, GBC, and GBA game. What I don't love about it: nonstandard charging and headphone jacks, plus the fact that they don't make it anymore.

A clone will have to be significantly better than the Revo K101, which fixes the original's issues with nonstandard charging and audio ports, and adds the ability to bring your own games. I'll bet it will be somewhat worse, but cheaper than the going rate of $110.

The flavor-of-the-month seems to be the GB Boy Colour, with its off (though not by much) sound and slightly misshapen screen. I'm not going to spend any money on a system that can't even get the shape of the screen right. I won't lie, I would spend some cash on a "new" Gameboy, but it better feel like I'm picking up something Nintendo themselves made.

There's a booming market in GBA refurbs. If I can get the real thing for under $100, which I can, Retro-Bit has zero room to screw up.

• Like 3

"SuperRetroBoy: A 3-in-1 handheld, single port gaming system that instantly plays classic Game Boy, GB Color, and GB Advance games."

I'm totally with you ... I think the GBA SP with the bright screen is a high bar to clear. I love its small size, perfect controls, fold-up screen, and long battery life. It also plays every GB, GBC, and GBA game. What I don't love about it: nonstandard charging and headphone jacks, plus the fact that they don't make it anymore.

A clone will have to be significantly better than the Revo K101, which fixes the original's issues with nonstandard charging and audio ports, and adds the ability to bring your own games. I'll bet it will be somewhat worse, but cheaper than the going rate of $110.

Bah. My GBA native hardware runs everything he demoed in that video using the Krikzz Everdrive X5 flashcart and add-on emulators, except for PCe which was so broken on the tester's demo unit, it isn't funny. And he had an SNES folder but didn't test the ROMs. Why?

Yes, but it hangs out of the system like a gameboy cartridge. Yuck.

https://gbatemp.net/attachments/cme03tkwcaase0q-jpg.55062/

Only 6mm at most. Compared to old gameboy carts, that's nothing. Hardly sticks out any more than Yoshi Topsy Turvy, a game I sought out specifically for the gyro controls, which the X5 ironically doesn't emulate. :P

done.

Link?

Only 6mm at most. Compared to old gameboy carts, that's nothing. Hardly sticks out any more than Yoshi Topsy Turvy, a game I sought out specifically for the gyro controls, which the X5 ironically doesn't emulate. :P

I think old GameBoy carts sticking out of a GBA are grody too. I know Everdrive is the best, but stuff like this really matters to me (especially on a handheld) so I'm holding out for their next edition in the hopes that they fix this.

We really should take the GameBoy talk out of this thread in my opinion. Retro-Bit Generations isn't worthy of washing GameBoy Advance's feet.

• Like 1

Link?

I think old GameBoy carts sticking out of a GBA are grody too. I know Everdrive is the best, but stuff like this really matters to me (especially on a handheld) so I'm holding out for their next edition in the hopes that they fix this.

We really should take the GameBoy talk out of this thread in my opinion. Retro-Bit Generations isn't worthy of washing GameBoy Advance's feet.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260468-super-retro-boy-other-game-boy-clones/

• Like 2

Has anyone kept trying roms on this thing? I have not had much time, yesterday I did a bit of testing, and Got NES, SNES, GENESIS, CPS1 games to work, I will try GB, GBC, GBA, Neo Geo and CPS2, MAME next.

ANyone know since the controllers are USB, can you just swap the crappy controllers for any USB controller?

ANyone know since the controllers are USB, can you just swap the crappy controllers for any USB controller?

Apparently not. This is the final nail in the coffin, IMO. Even being hackable, the RBG is useless if you're tied to its pack-in controller. It might as well be proprietary.

Apparently not. This is the final nail in the coffin, IMO. Even being hackable, the RBG is useless if you're tied to its pack-in controller. It might as well be proprietary.

I cant remember if it was in this thread, but someone said when you plug those controllers on the PC, it recognizes them as PS3 controllers, wondering it a PS3 controller would work? I'll test it tonight.

• Like 1

I cant remember if it was in this thread, but someone said when you plug those controllers on the PC, it recognizes them as PS3 controllers, wondering it a PS3 controller would work? I'll test it tonight.

Nope. I already tried this. "PS3" is just in the ID for some unknown reason.

My Windows 7 doesn't detect PS3 controllers properly, though it does charge them. The controllers really are just clone junk, and unless someone designs a better USB HID controller that clones the ID of the retrobit one, I don't think anything is gonna work. I can't believe that one Youtube reviewer who harped on about how bad the emulation was said the one redeeming quality of the Retrobit clone was the USB controllers. They are garbage. One of mine only responds on the Dpad down if I mash really hard. I feel the dimple sink down but no response onscreen unless I really dial up the thumb pressure.

Also why they assigned the Dpad on this POS controller to "point of view hat" instead of X1/Y1 is beyond me.

Nope. I already tried this. "PS3" is just in the ID for some unknown reason.

My Windows 7 doesn't detect PS3 controllers properly, though it does charge them. The controllers really are just clone junk, and unless someone designs a better USB HID controller that clones the ID of the retrobit one, I don't think anything is gonna work. I can't believe that one Youtube reviewer who harped on about how bad the emulation was said the one redeeming quality of the Retrobit clone was the USB controllers. They are garbage. One of mine only responds on the Dpad down if I mash really hard. I feel the dimple sink down but no response onscreen unless I really dial up the thumb pressure.

Also why they assigned the Dpad on this POS controller to "point of view hat" instead of X1/Y1 is beyond me.

So I tried more systems, so far I got to work the following: NES, SNES, GENESIS (.bin), GBA, GBC, GB, CPS1, CPS2, no luck on NEO GEO, MAME, for Master System and TurboGrafx16 it would not even see the files.

Of course with the systems that worked, not all games worked, for example on CPS2, I could play Alien vs predator, SF Alpha, but none of the Marvel VS series worked, or Xmen Children of the atom.

So I tried more systems, so far I got to work the following: NES, SNES, GENESIS (.bin), GBA, GBC, GB, CPS1, CPS2, no luck on NEO GEO, MAME, for Master System and TurboGrafx16 it would not even see the files.

Of course with the systems that worked, not all games worked, for example on CPS2, I could play Alien vs predator, SF Alpha, but none of the Marvel VS series worked, or Xmen Children of the atom.

I got neo geo working on some roms, ghost pilots, sengoku, art of fighting, fatal fury, some shooters, seemed older neo worked mostly, Cps1 1941, strider worked for me. Not much info out there to guide us ,

I got neo geo working on some roms, ghost pilots, sengoku, art of fighting, fatal fury, some shooters, seemed older neo worked mostly, Cps1 1941, strider worked for me. Not much info out there to guide us ,

I was pretty sure I tried Fatal Fury with no success. Do you need a bios or something?

I imagine Retrobit only added enough emulation support for the handful of arcade titles included. Most games listed in fact used the console ports when feasible.

The fact Neo Geo works at all is bonus. Does Puzzle Bobble work by any chance? I could care less about their fighter games.

Looks like Retro Bit is going to now be selling derivatives of this with cartridge ports.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Also coming are Capcom themed USB controllers (In NES, SuperNes, and Genesis styles) as well as Jaleco themed multicarts for the Game Boy, NES, and SuperNes.

Looks like Retro Bit is going to now be selling derivatives of this with cartridge ports.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Also coming are Capcom themed USB controllers (In NES, SuperNes, and Genesis styles) as well as Jaleco themed multicarts for the Game Boy, NES, and SuperNes.

I hope the HD is better than the Gamerz Tek clone:

Published on Dec 21, 2016

You get what you pay for! Painfully broken audio, graphical glitches abound, left side chopped, generally blurry mess.

Gamepad doesn't work on Paperboy, Gauntlet backgrounds screwed up, etc. All standard NOAC bugs of something made as cheap as possible.

Chances are that it's just Retro-Bit Generations guts powering each system, so I was mostly posting it for amusement value only.

If they could get a decently upscaled HDMI output from a SNES-on-a-chip though, I'd buy one. I thought the accuracy of the SuperNes side of the Retro Duo was excellent, but I'd bet money that it's similar hardware to their plug and play, powering the exact same lackluster SuperNes (And Genesis and NES) emulators.

• Like 1