IGNORED

Retro-Bit Generations

If it's only meant for controller communication, could it really do much? I only ask, because I know that some systems with USB ports, say the Wii Mini's one, don't support any type of communication that would enable hacking.

It COULD, sure. Will it? Maybe, maybe not. That's up to RB. But the potential is there.

• Like 1

Expected MSRP $59.99 confirmed by Retro-bit =D.

At least 2 more JP devs to be added to the game line up.

Can you comment on controller compatibilty? Will other usb controllers work? If so, I'll gladly buy one. I'm not a huge fan of the Sega Genesis style controllers, and I imagine these might not even be quite as gooad as the originals.

From their FB page:

"Our new Plug and Play console features 60-80 built in games from some of your favorite classic publishers. Games include: Ghosts N Goblins, Ring King, Captain Commando, and many more of your favorite retro titles to be announced soon! You can play with the 2 included classic 6-button USB controllers, or plug in your own! Equipped with BOTH AV and HDMI outputs to fit any set up. Navigate the intuitive user interface to scroll through the different games and relive your favorite childhood memory all on one small and compact unit.

The Retro-Bit Generations console has an estimated launch this October for the
low price of $59.99."

• Like 3

Honestly, everything about this unit seems good, or at least neutral. The only thing we don't have confirmation on yet is the ability to add games... and PikoInteractive's comments on that front are reason for optimism.

It's sounding like this unit will be a nice middle ground... more than a plug & play, but less than a full clone console.

Also we do not know what it uses to run the games.

My take is that is full on SW emulation (MAME can't be used that way though afaik) rather than some special SoC that can play all those, also I hope the games are the Arcade version rather than some MD/SNES or other "ports" (I'm looking at you Majesco Konami Arcade plug and play, NES ports, really).

I want to say you can't add other games. But there will be games added every year. Which may be you can update your old version to add those new games (I'm speculating)

... I'm starting to see the poison pill then. But, if you can update it, in theory, you can hack it.

Piko, I realize there are things you don't know or can't say. Thanks for telling us what you can.

From their FB page:

"Our new Plug and Play console features 60-80 built in games from some of your favorite classic publishers. Games include: Ghosts N Goblins, Ring King, Captain Commando, and many more of your favorite retro titles to be announced soon! You can play with the 2 included classic 6-button USB controllers, or plug in your own! Equipped with BOTH AV and HDMI outputs to fit any set up. Navigate the intuitive user interface to scroll through the different games and relive your favorite childhood memory all on one small and compact unit.

The Retro-Bit Generations console has an estimated launch this October for the low price of $59.99."

Thanks! I'll probably buy one just for fun. The price is right, 60 games, and controller flexibility.

• Like 2

I want to say you can't add other games. But there will be games added every year. Which may be you can update your old version to add those new games (I'm speculating)

Do you know if the games are the original arcade or some ports (MD/SNES etc...)?

That could be a huge make or break for me.

I long for the arcade versions, just to be crystal clear.

Why did I get the idea off the bat that it'd be ARCADE games?? Maybe because it wasn't mentioned they're going to be SNES, Genesis, NES, GBA, Jaguar? ..And I assumed CAPCOM = ARCADE..

Blechh.. I'm going to stick with the flashbacks for now. Once I get expectations in my head, and the promotional material doesn't clarify them, they grow and grow, and then I end up getting disappointed when it comes out. So yeh, skip.

• Like 1

Whoa, I'm late as hell to this party!

I've been preaching the gospel of Retro-Bit for a long time, I'm a big fan of their work. So I'm very interested to get my hands on this. However, I'm also very cautious right now. Retro-Bit was on such a roll recently, the Retro Trio is an awesome machine and its controllers are the best imitation of original SNES I've ever seen. I thought their next obvious step would be to make an HDMI version of the Retro Trio and I'd be all over that. But this "Generations" console is nowhere near what I expected, nor do I think it's a step in the right direction.

So there's no cartridge inputs and they've ditched those awesome controllers. I don't get it, they left all their work behind instead of building on it. I guess this device has its advantages. HDMI+Composite is a great idea. Also, a lot of people do like Plug & Plays. But most domestic Plug & Plays lean on a big recognizable brand like Pac Man or Sonic, people will buy a Plug & Play device just to play one game and the rest are like freebies. The closest this has to a big brand is Ghosts N' Goblins but I still don't think that has the pull to bring in sales from the general public, there's too many games on this list that 99% of the population has never heard of. Unless they have something big waiting to be announced, who knows.

I don't get why you guys were surprised that it was going to be console ports, maybe I'm just not an arcade buff, but especially after I saw Piko on board it was a given that these are not arcade titles. If it was arcade originals that would be a huge selling point to advertise up front. But it's not a turn off to me and I'm very curious about the possibility of Jaguar games.

So I too am kinda "meh" about it as well, but not completely turned off. It's not the product I want from Retro Bit but it's definitely going to be one of the most interesting Plug & Plays out there on the market and I'm sure my subs are going to be hounding me about it. I'm keeping a good eye on this.

• Like 2

I don't get why you guys were surprised that it was going to be console ports, maybe I'm just not an arcade buff, but especially after I saw Piko on board it was a given that these are not arcade titles. If it was arcade originals that would be a huge selling point to advertise up front. But it's not a turn off to me and I'm very curious about the possibility of Jaguar games.

Because the name of the games they listed are Arcade games.

They didn't advertise the console only games .... btw I am skeptical on Jag games AND it must be emulation if the Jag is even in the picture.

So we'll see how this things shape but I am afraid I'll consider it only once it hits the clearance bin.