IGNORED

Xbox One S 40% smaller

Master Phruby

Exactly what I would want from a slimline XBox One. I use a console on my desk in tandem with my PC so, from my point of view, the smaller the better.

I've only just upgraded to the 360 so not likely to be in the market for a new console any time soon. Was thinking that the PS4 would be the way to go when the 360 goes offline but this new improved model from MS gives me food for thought. It looks like they've got rid of all the crap that was holding the original model back and condensed it down into a more manageable unit.

Good to see MS listening to their customer base. They gained a lot of traction in the console industry with the 360 and it would be a shame if they threw it all away.

• Like 1

the Slim is a really nice looking unit. Wish I could upgrade to it, but I've got one of the limited white Halo CE bundles so I don't think I could bring myself to part with it. I also don't think I can justify another $300 to have a second Xbone. :(

One of my biggest disappointments with the original system is, asides from the fact it's huge, I can't stand it vertically. I have a small entertainment center so being able to line up everything vertically allows me to smash a bunch of systems into a tiny space (360, Xbone, Wii U, PS2 and PS3, etc).

the Slim is a really nice looking unit. Wish I could upgrade to it, but I've got one of the limited white Halo CE bundles so I don't think I could bring myself to part with it. I also don't think I can justify another $300 to have a second Xbone. :(

One of my biggest disappointments with the original system is, asides from the fact it's huge, I can't stand it vertically. I have a small entertainment center so being able to line up everything vertically allows me to smash a bunch of systems into a tiny space (360, Xbone, Wii U, PS2 and PS3, etc).

I've decided to get one. Everything that I found disappointing about the original XB1 other than the integrated HDD has been addressed here with this revision. I'm sure that the Scorpio will be much more powerful, but it doesn't seem like much will be different with the Scorpio outside of more power for 4k resolution and VR, neither of which I could care about at this point...

I can't believe their including 4k blu-ray with this model, though. Considering how expensive those players are going to be, this practically pays for itself with that alone.

Edited by MotoRacer

Loving that XBox Slim. I wonder if its gonna be abit loud and hot? with the power supply built in now? Will be interesting hearing about these two things from folks who get one this fall. If I owned a 4K tv I would so be all over this though. Just not for me I guess.

Just gonna enjoy the XBox I have and preorder the Scorpio and grab a 4K set late next year.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

Loving that XBox Slim. I wonder if its gonna be abit loud? with the power supply built in now?

If I owned a 4K tv I would so be all over that.

Just gonna enjoy the XBox I have and preorder the Scorpio and grab a 4K set late next year.

I like it as well. Though the obvious purposely lacking details of the Scorpio kinda piss me off a bit.

They know the S is very attractive, even if you have a 4K set, with the better color pallet and 4K video and 4K blu ray player. And they know that if they revealed too much about the Scorpio it might kill off S sales.

As I said in the other thread here, there are conflicting reports as to whether or not the Scorpio will actually make games look better outside of utilizing the horsepower for just resolution and frame rates for those resolutions (and for vr). Does that mean 1080 users will get no benefit? Or can 1080 players use the horsepower for better textures, shadows, lighting etc?

If there is no benefit for 1080 users, I'll buy an S with a smile on my face. If there is a benefit, I might still buy an S, but it'll be the cheapest model to bide me time until the Scorpio comes out.

I have a launch day X1 and its whisper quiet. Sometimes you can hear the disk spin inside but thats about it really. The system has a giant fan that you can see if you look through the grill vents on the right side of the console. That along with having the power brick outside of the console is pretty much why it might be so quiet when you game. Ofcourse the power brick will be inside the S now,so we'll see how warm it gets next to the original X1.

How loud is xbone and xbone slim? My 360 is quite loud.

This video offers a hardware analysis of the Scorpio and it doesn't look like it's going to offer much more than the XB1 (just a slightly more advanced AMD APU):

I honestly don't think they should have bothered with the Scorpio at all at this stage. Have they never heard of the Osborne effect?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

MS also seem to be doing what Sega did with the Dreamcast in that they played their hand too early and people waited for their competitors to come along with more advanced systems.

My opinion: XB1s = good, Scorpio = bad

I think were going to need to upgrade our tvs to see the Huge differences from that hardware to what we have now. Maybe they add better lighting techniques or some type of next gen effects to the Scorpio that we could see without 4K sets but thats about it I guess. I think Microsoft wanted to future proff the next hardware for two reasons. One they've caught hell from gamers and websites for having weaker hardware this gen, and the other would be 4K sets are already affordable and they maybe see people buying one when more 4K streaming and cable boxes are more mainstream,maybe thats next year,maybe the year after. But I think the Scorpio is to safe guard from falling behind hardware wise again like what happened to the X1.

As for the Xbox Slim, well its nice hardware for people jumping into 4K or maybe will be next year. Or for those who just want an X1,play on their 1080 sets, and dont have to have a coffee table to place the console and power brick on now. 40% smaller is seriously sexy and 4K BR player is from what I've heard,the cheaper player on the market or close to anyways. I had first it upscaled X1 games to 4K but now I'm hearing thats not the case. Bummer if true,I know if I was already on the fence about a new tv then that would be a huge feature for the slim. I think what keeps Microsoft in good shape with the S and the Scorpio is all the games you buy will play on both machines. Peace of mind just knowing that. What you own now and in the future will always work on both hardwares. Plus a XBox Slim probably give you more trade in value towards a scorpio next year if you suddenly want one. And you take your games with you and they'll play in 4K,not a bad deal really. But as always its got to have nice games at launch. I hope they have some new games,maybe lay off the Forzas and Halo,space them out more. I know I'm at the point now where I only buy the Halo's when they reach that $25.00 price point. I've love to see something like a Microsoft baseball franchise, bring back some old classics like a new Voodoo Vince platformer,and make that new IP Recore an ongoign series. They can have sequels,but they also need newer content,thats what I want on the Scorpio. If its just the stuff were playing now then thats gonna take the wind out of Scorpio's sales for me.abit.

I like it as well. Though the obvious purposely lacking details of the Scorpio kinda piss me off a bit.

They know the S is very attractive, even if you have a 4K set, with the better color pallet and 4K video and 4K blu ray player. And they know that if they revealed too much about the Scorpio it might kill off S sales.

As I said in the other thread here, there are conflicting reports as to whether or not the Scorpio will actually make games look better outside of utilizing the horsepower for just resolution and frame rates for those resolutions (and for vr). Does that mean 1080 users will get no benefit? Or can 1080 players use the horsepower for better textures, shadows, lighting etc?

If there is no benefit for 1080 users, I'll buy an S with a smile on my face. If there is a benefit, I might still buy an S, but it'll be the cheapest model to bide me time until the Scorpio comes out.

As for the cpu,there are strong rumors that its not going to some overclocked Jaguar cpu like what we have with the current PS4 and X1s. Theyre eyeing a Zen cpu,but its suppose to be a customized cpu,not as advanced as an expensive advanced cpus that will be out by next year.

I think its an ongoing day to day spec change all the way up to summer of next year,when they'll begin manufacturing the hardware for fall release. Ofcourse the dangers in that are price points and affordability,they dont want to price themselves out of the market too much. I dont think Microsoft tipped their hand that much at E3. They never spoke about the type of cpu or just how much available ram will ship with the machine. Probably because if Sony delays Neo to next year to jack up their specs Microsoft might do the same,thus why they were silent on ram and cpu specs in the Scorpio at E3.

Then my assumptions are correct, then. The Scorpio is nothing more than a vehicle to display games on 4K tv sets and vr headsets.

From what I've been reading, the S is going to be like the PS4 Neo in power. The Scorpio is just a minor step above both.

If that's the case, I don't need the Scorpio at all. While I tend to like the games coming out on the horizon better for the PS4, there's just something I've always prefered about the XB1 in terms of usability (controllers and UI are much better for instance on XB1).

That said.... I think it's funny that of all times for Playstation to finally come out with exclusives that matter, it just so happens when new hardware is on the table.

I'll put my money on the S for now, but hopefully in the next couple months we'll hear more about the Neo in terms of looks/price/features, so I can be sure on my decision.

Edited by MotoRacer

You know, and it's strange to admit, I really like the "big heavy" that is the original Xbox One. The Slim looks marvelous, mind you, but I'm going to stick with my original model for now, probably for a few years, then I might consider upgrading to the slim. Granted, the one I have now takes up half my gaming shelf space, but the shelf is dedicated to the console and television. :)

Yes, I've noticed how quiet the original model is. My Xbox 360 S vibrates the shelf when spinning up the disc. Since you only need the disc to start the game on the Xbox One, it's whisper quiet (as mentioned) except for some hard drive noise (which is barely noticeable). Maybe my attraction to the original model is the fact that it reminds me of the Atari 5200 "big black beauty", so the affinity for it is there.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I just pre-ordered the Gears special edition Xbox One S today, I'm not a Gear head but I love the way it looks and for 50 bucks more why not.

The original was too damn big and the power brick was annoying trying to fit it somewhere behind my setup, also I couldn't stand the pack in controller. Looking forward to the slim for sure, since I had a standard black Xbox One it was easy to part with although I only got 150 bucks for it. I think I paid 330 originally during a thanksgiving sale, not too bad I guess.

• Like 1

I just pre-ordered the Gears special edition Xbox One S today,

I beat you by 6 days! ;)

Xbox One S 2TB Console - Gears of War 4 Limited Edition Bundle
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
ORDER PLACED
July 15, 2016

This will go awesome above my GoW 360!

• Like 2

This will go awesome above my GoW 360!

Yeah it looks great.....was surprised it was basically 50 bucks more

Arriving Oct 7, 2016
Pre-ordered
Xbox One S 2TB Console - Gears of War 4 Limited Edition Bundle
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
Order Placed
Ordered on July 21, 2016
Will look nice above my Star Wars 360 :D

I'm not sure if this was the plan when my den was redesigned, but the current model Xbox One fits perfectly on my shelf with room to spare with the controller, external power supply, and smart TV. :D I have another similarly-sized space for my Atari 2600. :D

• 3 weeks later...

How is that better?

Not a question if its better....most people dont want to deal with an extra anchor to carry around or whatever, and buying them years later sucks. Pain in the ass all around, especially when the original Xbox One console was bigger than most 80's VCR's. Never had a power supply go bad on me, totally not worried about it. Glad its gone.

• Like 1