IGNORED

Scored a PS3!

madhatter667

Ok, for a little back perspective... I had access to a PS3, and XBox 360 at one point. that relationship ended, and I never bought consoles of my own (money, and small library of personally owned titles). I decided that I wanted to change that (still own a PSX, and a PS2, and want a PS4, so it's inline with collecting habits). There's a couple titles that I have for 360 that I would happily replace with versions for the PS3, because I own the rest of the series on PS2, or split between PSX/PS2.

I picked it up broken. The guy I got it from said it had the blinking light problem. Research tells me that there are a couple problems associated with light codes... but whatever. I determined I would take that gamble. He told me someone had repaired it for him before. I'm actually doubting the validity of this statement, or the validity of the repair done. When I tore the system down, it still had the warranty/void sticker covering one of the case screws. It was not peeled and replaced, it was fully intact. So, either someone attempted the bullshit hairdryer fix, something else, or the guy was not telling the full truth.

Anyway... I tore the whole thing down. carefully. Was super cautious with the ribbon cables. Cleaned the vents. Wiped dust from the board. blew dust from the fan, and heatsinks. Cleaned the heatsinks' faces, cleaned off the CPU, and GPU mating surfaces. Did the bake it in the oven - solder reflow. Let the whole thing cool, reassembled... and I have a functioning PS3. Updated the PSN, and the system firmware (it was a version past the one that allows exploits), made myself a user account on PSN, and have tested out Resistance, and SH Downpour (the two PS3 titles I own). All good. Blue, and green light goodness. Only a 40GB system though. Fat, but not PS2 back compatible. Does have PSX back compatibility, though I am not sure how long that list runs (and honestly not really a worry anyway, because nothing is gonna make me give up the PS2).

Picked up just the console, and the power wire for $20. Roomie coughed up some controllers for me, and I got another buddy who has extra controllers he would also throw my way (need to clarify with the roomie if they were on loan or not, as he has higher end controllers).

So, yeah. Happy with the results... time to build a bigger library.

post-5805-0-35793700-1467001890_thumb.jpg

Edited by madhatter667

Nice score for $20!

Now's the best time to collect for the PS3, because games are at the bottom of the market. You can still go into Gamestop and snag A+ titles for dirt cheap. Also, I've been hitting up the bargain bins at the big box stores for deals. I recently snagged the first three Uncharted games, the first two Resistance games, Enslaved: Journey to the West, Metal Gear Solid 4, Singularity, and more for right around $20 total. 99% of them were CIB, too.

Ok, so I grabbed a few titles today.

I got Resident Evil: Revelations, The Last of Us, and Resident Evil 6. Also picked up a spare controller, because.

Games I would not mind getting as PS3 titles are: Silent Hill 5, Operation Raccoon City, Deadspace, Deadspace 2 (as that would wrap out my 360 titles and keep console continuity). Really want to find Dead Space 3, and The Evil Within looks promising. There is a weekend sale going on at Gamestop, so I may pop in at a different location, and see if I have any luck with that.

• Like 1

So found The Evil Within, Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition (beat the crap out of RE5 on 360 when I was still with my ex), and what I thought was going to be Dark Souls 2. The game store screwed up, and I got a Greatest Hits disc of Dark Souls in a DS2 case. Dark Souls tends to cost more than the sequel, and this one was the freebie in a buy 2 get 1 sale.