IGNORED

PLA "Smoothing" with Acetone (3D printed objects)

Omega-TI

Since the new FlashROM 99 cartridge case is printed with PLA, I have a couple of questions about potentially "smoothing it". Hopefully someone here will have the answer and let me know if it's even worth the effort or risk.

1) Does using a high grit sandpaper on black PLA change the color or is it a residue of the sandpaper itself that can be easily washed off?

2) Does sanding leave scratches that are worse looking than an original finish?

3) When using Acetone to smooth a PLA printed object, what is the recommended immersion time and how long before you rinse it to stop the chemical reaction?

Thanks.

Looks like there are some good youtube's on the subject. Youtube is like HGTV but for things I'm interested in (and everything else) :)

An interesting alternative:

-M@

Haha I think this guy could have used a better example object, I thought it was showing the wrong way to do it at first until I realized it was supposed to be Darth Vader's helmet from the new movie.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also use "Meniscus smoothing" which is quite simply put, paint that sticks more to the cracks than the outer parts of the stair-stepping.

I occasionally and very carefully use a Michael's heat-gun, which is more like a concentrated blow dryer, to smooth areas with tiny spines, sanded areas, or loose threads, the heat makes them melt into he larger areas of plastic where the belong. Used on a part with many tiny details, though, and the whole print will warp.

• Like 1

For now, I'm going to have to play it safe. It would be different if I had a backup case to play with, because I'm tempted to try the heat gun method on one section of the cartridge. It would be easy to mask off the cartridge with some metal tape leaving the target area exposed. It would probably even make a decent DIY video.