IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

Be a regular at every local thrift store or used electronics outlet. Remember that most don't know what a NUON is, they'll just look at it and think it's a standard DVD player, then price it for $15. I've nabbed several that way.

I'm always on the lookout for a Pioneer LaserActive or a Philips CD-i (220) via that method as well.

Edited by Austin

On 7/31/2024 at 2:21 PM, Austin said:

Be a regular at every local thrift store or used electronics outlet. Remember that most don't know what a NUON is, they'll just look at it and think it's a standard DVD player, then price it for $15. I've nabbed several that way.

I'm always on the lookout for a Pioneer LaserActive or a Philips CD-i (220) via that method as well.

The Pioneer model would be a lot of fun to find.

My first N501 was found in a pawn shop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking forward to Ring Flyer.

In the meantime, I found a familiar face at "OMGifts" in "old Korean town" (Royal Lane) in Dallas, TX.

20240908_163501.thumb.jpg.c2323064c8fd82582595bc7d364f5a4d.jpg

She had Crayon Chin-Chan as a sticker on the backside of her phone and said his cartoon was hilarious.

When she asked how I knew the character I mentioned he was a rare game on the rare Nuon system that was not a great game, but funny.

She seemed impressed.

• Like 1

As long as it is not the US dub as Shin-Chan that most americans know from adult swim... they made it extremely vulgar, and edited scenes from multiple episodes to make new ones.

Even in the US I see the character everywhere, on bags of chips and all sorts of products at the Asian market. I have Shin-Chan chopsticks! It's basically the Simpsons for Japan as far as popularity (but maybe even more so). Definitely cool it made it to Nuon. After seeing it on adult swim years ago, it was a while before I knew that's not how it really was!

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Hastor said:

As long as it is not the US dub as Shin-Chan that most americans know from adult swim... they made it extremely vulgar, and edited scenes from multiple episodes to make new ones.

Even in the US I see the character everywhere, on bags of chips and all sorts of products at the Asian market. I have Shin-Chan chopsticks! It's basically the Simpsons for Japan as far as popularity (but maybe even more so). Definitely cool it made it to Nuon. After seeing it on adult swim years ago, it was a while before I knew that's not how it really was!

Is there a subtitled version of the regular show somewhere?

20240909_140701.thumb.jpg.7fd9224c2ec2de66dcab685d567cf975.jpg

This is the figure I picked up btw, probably an inch and half high.   So I take it Crayon Chin-Chan is basically a Bart Simpson?

1 hour ago, doctorclu said:

Is there a subtitled version of the regular show somewhere?

I've never been aware of an official. The show has been going since '92 and still being made. I understand that it is very heavy on jokes based on language misuse, japanese culture, and puns, making it very difficult to translate in a way that represents the original. There's probably some fan subs out there but no idea of their quality (assuming they even exist).

• Like 1