IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

7 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

Are there any Nuon games that won't play on the Toshiba unit?

I have seen some comments about certain incompatibilities between the models, but can't find anything concrete.

All retail games work as they should. For years, homebrew titles only worked on the Samsung N501 model due to the fact that homebrew had to me on CD-R, but that hurdle was cleared in the past year or so by an esteemed member of the community. I want to say the Songbird re-release of Iron Soldier 3 has some issues with a model or two, can't recall if that's the Toshiba or a different one. 

Many folks consider the Toshiba the best built of the NUON players and less prone to failure than the Samsung models (N2000 and N501 in the US).

7 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

Are there any Nuon games that won't play on the Toshiba unit?

I have seen some comments about certain incompatibilities between the models, but can't find anything concrete.

No, but the big downfall of the Toshiba units are the horribly crippled VLM-2 (Jeff Minter's music visualizer).  It only has 8 effects.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

No, but the big downfall of the Toshiba units are the horribly crippled VLM-2 (Jeff Minter's music visualizer).  It only has 8 effects.

Eh, I guess I can live with that. There are plenty of other ways to play with a VLM these days, although it really isn't something I was planning to use anyway.

14 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

Eh, I guess I can live with that. There are plenty of other ways to play with a VLM these days, although it really isn't something I was planning to use anyway.

You shouldn't have any issues with a Toshiba unit. If you need any help with it feel free to ask. I have two units myself (one has bad ports I need to troubleshoot!). Use good DVD media to burn home brews. The Verbatim 97016 worked for me quite nicely.

• 4 weeks later...

We got some NUON code - this is from RobertDaleSmith - he is the guy that did the other NUON Adaptor - not the Songbird one.  What we are looking for is uploading through that Polyface chip the game code and such instead of using CDR/DVDRs - here is the C code that is the only known working example of NUON Polyface chip communication  Help!

https://www.thehelper.net/threads/nuon-tech-stuff-working-example-of-nuon-controller-polyface-chip-communication.191853/

Edited by The Helper

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, V-SNES said:

The time has finally come. I've been working on this story on and off since December 2022, going through seemingly endless leads and a number of revisions. I present to you Untold NUON Tales: Welcome to Tromaville

image.thumb.png.2bfdf76881613e1d48d20f942ef58b50.png

Wow, that's really interesting. I was big into Troma in my youth, meeting (and talking for quite a while) with Lloyd several times, I've got quite many things signed by him, and I have all the Tromadance festival DVDs. I wonder if there's any Nuon mention on those. I don't think I've watched them since I've known what a Nuon is haha.
It would have been really cool if they'd Nuon enhanced that year's DVD lol. (Or heck, any Troma DVD given the relationship - Troma were some of the first putting out their movies on DVD, with Tromeo and Juliet being one I bought with my first player around 98/99. Too bad they didn't collab on a DVD! That Toxie set would have been cool.

Edited by Hastor
  • Like 2

On 3/10/2024 at 1:44 PM, V-SNES said:

The time has finally come. I've been working on this story on and off since December 2022, going through seemingly endless leads and a number of revisions. I present to you Untold NUON Tales: Welcome to Tromaville

image.thumb.png.2bfdf76881613e1d48d20f942ef58b50.png

Great article.  Man, Troma was a big part of my teenage years for sure.  Maybe that could’ve been “what saved the Nuon!” Kidding of course :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is time!

https://songbird-productions.com/product/tempest-3000-limited-edition-nuon/

As a thank you to NUON fans, we’re offering some major discounts when you buy Iron Soldier 3 or Freefall 3050 at the same time with these codes:

$10 off T3K + IS3 combo: T3KPLUSIS3
$20 off T3K + Freefall combo: T3KPLUSFREEFALL
$50 off T3K + IS3 + Freefall combo: T3KTRIPLEPLAY

Codes are valid through April 18. 

image.png.6459949f64dae9378fb44c08c1ec2910.png

• Like 3

Does anyone know how to extract data from a nuon.dat file? My Nuon player doesn't read discs anymore, but I wanted to see if I can get the Tempest 3000 soundtrack off of my disc. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...