IGNORED

Turgen System - 8.5.6 released and a Survey

baktra

Greetings cassette users,

to celebrate another new minor version of Turgen System, I have prepared a short survey about this program.

If you have few minutes to spare, please consider taking the survey. It will help me to decide what I should develop next (or if I should develop something :) ).

I am also asking happy owners of datarecorders with Turbo Blizzard, Atari Super Turbo, and KSO Turbo 2000 turbo upgrades to test with real hardware and post their results.

I have tested these with my XC-12 and worked fine (see my YouTube channel), but my XC-12 has czechoslovak Super Turbo upgrade. I would like to know if it works with those original modifications.

Thank you very much.

I've been meaning to check this out one day.

Is there technical description anywhere of the turbo types supported?

Do you intend on or already have support for tape IO that doesn't use start/stop gaps (bit-bang IO). Someone mentioned it had been done somewhere but I've not seen further evidence.

I've been meaning to check this out one day.

Is there technical description anywhere of the turbo types supported?

Do you intend on or already have support for tape IO that doesn't use start/stop gaps (bit-bang IO). Someone mentioned it had been done somewhere but I've not seen further evidence.

Hello,

There are four basic types of "turbo systems" or means that speed-up the loading process.

1. Software only. These only increase baud rate or modify the operating system routines to tolerate and use higher baud rate. Turgen System supports only increased baud rate for standard tape records.
  2. ZX Spectrum-like. The most common ones in Europe. These require hardware modification (the frequency filters are bypassed and the signal is only amplified and routed to the DATA-IN pin or INTERRUPT pin. The simplest modification is just two transistors and one diode).

During the loading process, the loaders monitor the pin and perform bit-banging. Bits are coded as rectangular pulses of different widths. The loaders must disable some or all interrupts and DMA . All turbo systems supported by Turgen System are of this type.

3. Enhanced FSK. These also require extra hardware, but use serial protocol. For example Turbo 2600. Not supported by Turgen System.
  4. Others. MEGA-CD, INJEKTOR,...

Technical descriptions

Information in the english language is somehow scarce. Google translate can help.

Here is some information in Polish language: http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/Akcesoria_i_rozszerzenia#Systemy_turbo. Schematics are included for some.

Information about Czechoslovak Turbo 2000 is here: http://www.atarimax.com/jindroush.atari.org/aturbo.html (English, schematics also included).

File formats are described in the documentation of Turgen System.

Bit-Bang I/O without IRGs...

I have no information, sorry.