IGNORED

River Rescue

mantadoc

What goes wrong in this ,i made it with Classic99 and not inverted ,

If you're using Classic99 to test it and it is truly not inverted, you need to change that ‘3’ to an ‘8’. The ‘3’ tells Classic99 that it is, in fact, inverted, if you're running it from the “Cartridge-->User-->Open” choice.

...lee

Edited by Lee Stewart
  • Like 1

H-m-m-m...It seems to be caught in an infinite loop between >E12C and >F2A6—well, not just there. That seems to be a short countdown; but, it is definitely caught in a rather complicated loop. I presume the cartridge is copying code to the 32KiB expansion RAM and executing from there?

...lee

Edited by Lee Stewart

I presume the cartridge is copying code to the 32KiB expansion RAM and executing from there?

The cartridge images (also the RPK) definitely require 32K, so it is not a real cartridge - which is why I removed River Rescue from the MAME cartridge software list and why there is no ZIP package for it.

Lee :) Here it is :

Running DSK1.RIVER as an E/A5 program from that disk image does exactly the same thing as running your cartridge BIN in inverted mode (...3.BIN), which is to say that it stops at the player selection screen and nothing more happens. The game is supposed to first present the “LEVEL” selection (1 – 3), which it does not.

It looks like it may have started life as a GROM cartridge that was converted to E/A5 format for your disk image.

All of that said, it looks as though your cartridge binary was actually successfully created—just a dud created from a dud. I'll see if I can find the GROM binary.

...lee

The original release was as an EA5 file from MicroPal, the actual cartridge image wasn't released (although it does exist, as there were a prototypes of all three Thorn EMI titles in the hands of the IUG (Charles LaFara had them)). Unfortunately, they seem to have disappeared after that. . .

Well, this GROM binary: riverrescueg.bin

actually works and opens with the player-selection screen followed by the level-selection screen followed by game play. The docs on the disk image are obviously wrong about the order of the opening screen choices!

Does anyone know how to convert GROM GPL binaries into E/A5 programs?

...lee

• Like 1

Well, this GROM binary: attachicon.gifriverrescueg.bin

actually works and opens with the player-selection screen followed by the level-selection screen followed by game play. The docs on the disk image are obviously wrong about the order of the opening screen choices!

...lee

It may be a GROM binary, but it is a machine program in disguise:

6042: ALL   >20
6044: MOVE  >001C BYTES FROM GROM@>6026 TO VDP@>02C2
604B: MOVE  >175E BYTES FROM GROM@>60A2 TO @>CFF8
6053: MOVE  >1800 BYTES FROM GROM@>8000 TO @>E756
605B: MOVE  >00B0 BYTES FROM GROM@>A000 TO @>FF56
6063: DST   >CFF8,@>8300
6067: XML   >F0
6069: EXIT

The cartridge images (also the RPK) definitely require 32K, so it is not a real cartridge - which is why I removed River Rescue from the MAME cartridge software list and why there is no ZIP package for it.

Correcting myself: River Rescue is still on the MAME software list, like some other games (e.g. Angler Dangler), with the caveat that 32K is needed and that this seems to be a cartridge prototype image.

(Seems as if I changed my mind and didn't tell me.)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been waiting for a good excuse/reason to register to the AtariAge forums, and that GROM file provided by Lee Stewart did the trick. I did a comparison of River Rescue a while back on FRGCB, but originally forgot to include the TI-99 version, but as you know the version at TI Game Shelf doesn't work properly... so until now, I haven't been able to update the entry, so thanks a bunch, Lee!

• Like 1

Well, this GROM binary: attachicon.gifriverrescueg.bin

...lee

You can use the GPL Linker from several different packages to link GPL Programs or Games into EA5 format.

Look at my GPLHOW2 Videos and Zip files on Atari Age.

Also RAG GPL LINKER or the Swedish GPL Assembler package has a great GPL Linker to do this.

Using these even a novice can convert all GPL programs and turn them into EA5, unless they use GROM >8000 as that would require you to relocate the GROM address.

Edited by RXB
  • Like 2

... Using these even a novice can convert all GPL programs and turn them into EA5, unless they use GROM >8000 as that would require you to relocate the GROM address.

Well... The RyteData GPL Linker docs claim to be able to do it for GROM based at >6000, >8000, >A000 and >C000. I presume the linker handles the relocation you mentioned.

...lee

• Like 1

Well, that got done surprisingly quickly. Here you go: the updated version of the River Rescue comparison. :-D I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised at how good the TI-99 version actually is.

http://frgcb.blogspot.fi/2014/11/river-rescue-thorn-emi-1982.html

very good article, thx. smells like a lot of work :)